Forgive my ignorance...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A disclaimer, I have been away from rocketry since 1999 and just rejoined this time last year.

What the heck are MicroMaxx models? Are they still an active product line? Are they for kids? A joke? For competition?

Seriously, I don't think I have ever seen any MicroMaxx kits or motors anywhere!

Last edited:
Brian,

They are 1/8A motors, manufactured by Quest. They also sell some RTF kits (AKA "plastic bricks").

Fliskits sell components and a variety of micro kits.

Aerospace Specialty Products sells (sold?) some pretty cool micro scale kits

Leading Edge Rocketry sells some micro clones of classic Estes kits.

Not a joke, rather, tiny rockets for tiny motors.

There is a gallery in this forum devoted to MicroMaxx models. Check it out.

"How high do they go?" I love that question...

The answer is the same as it is for any impulse: it depends.

My Fliskits Honest John and my Leading Edge Red Max and Goblin hit 75' - 100' (not sure how well calibrated my eyeballs are)

My Fliskits Dead Ringer maybe (MAYBE) makes 30'.

The "plastic bricks" are a joke - don't bother.

Too funny. I suppose that there is a market for anything... but if I can shoot a spitball out of a straw and be more exited, then MicroMaxx's aren't for me!

Too funny. I suppose that there is a market for anything... but if I can shoot a spitball out of a straw and be more exited, then MicroMaxx's aren't for me!

Chacun a son gout.

Back in my competition days, I was fascinated with the 1/4A and 1/2A events - especially when it came to gliders. Trying squeeze out as much performance as possible from a "spitball height" flight was quite a challenge.

I once saw a build Thread for someones Fliskits "Teeny Triskelion" and liked the looks of it. I want that one but don't see that Flis makes it anymore.

AVI stuff? Yeah you were a few years ahead of me.

That would be challenging.

But I live out here in the land of ROC... where we use D-12s as igniters. :p

because I don't know or at least never seen em yet, does anyone know if I can get micromaxx motors from anywhere in Canada? since I dought they are shippable accross borders. I'd love to own a few mirco rockets, but I'm not going to buy the rockets of I can get motors.

Depends on what you want to do.

This 3 motor cluster Micro-Maxx is just as challenging trying to get all 3 motors to light as any of my bigger rockets.

MicroPegasus_1.JPG

MicroPegasus_2.JPG

They can be very funny!
Perfect for the "first flight of the day" to check your controller and the winds.
The FlisKits Honest John seems indestructible (at least mine is) and gets good altitude with the MMX engine.
It is small and a good building challenge.
Just don't paint it green, it'd be hard to find on the ground.

A tip-
MMX models are easier to track and follow if you are just 15 feet from your home launcher instead of 50 feet away at a club launch.
If built light the launches are very fast.

The FlisKits Honest John seems indestructible (at least mine is) and gets good altitude with the MMX engine.
It is small and a good building challenge. Just don't paint it green, it'd be hard to find on the ground.

I did paint mine green. But I added a silver mylar streamer for tracking purposes. On its very first flight the streamer separated. I spent nearly 45 minutes walking around the sod farm before I found it.

8582899185_6e2384dfd5_z.jpg

Last edited:
To Date my highest Tracked and closed 1/8A SD flight is 318ft.
Lowest flight is a 21g single motor 1/8A BT-5 downscale that only got about 8ft. Altitude is not always the deciding factor in building or flying. Sometimes it's the Skill and challenge of building super small.
To be more precise To date there are Micro-Maxx models that can and do fly in every single event in the NAR Pink book (model Rocket Sporting Code) except Egg loft. the current 1/8A Helicopter Duration National Record is 64seconds but many of us have had flights over 2minutes in this event we just haven't been able to return one yet. Same goes for 1/8A flex wing glider I've had multiple over 5 minute timed flights but have yet to chase one down for a return that would secure another national record.

As far is Scale. you would be amazed at the number and size of subjects that can be made and the degree of detail can rival that of standard and Gaint Scale models.
Plastic model conversions of all kinds of Jets, missiles and rockets are being done with precision and plenty of detail.

there are any number of Boost Gliders. Parasite gliders (1 to 3) and Rocket Gliders. there is even a Micro 1/8A RCRG.

Small Fields are Ideal for Micro Flying but don't for one minute be fooled into thinking their is no excitement in building or flying these little marvels. 2- 7 motor clusters can put these small models out of sight in an instant. Staged models "currently" can be breath-taking as our "booster" motor is really just a MMX-II motor the Quest after market removed the ejection charge but left the .857s delay. On heavier combinations that Delay before ignition of the upper stage can give one a little heart failure:)

There are quite a few Kits out there by several manufacturers if you look, Fliskits has by far the widest and most complete selection of kits, and parts. but there are also kits still available from ASP, Micro Classics and a couple others. Not to mention more the 150 different 1-page Plans for anyone who want to use available over on the MicroMaxRockets Yahoo group file section.

Micro are Almost all I fly anymore....why? How many rockets can you take to the launch field at a time 10 or less? I generally have over 150 different models with me to choose from at a moments notice. I can fly and recover 10 to 20 within a 6 hour launch day depending on the crowd. and best of all. each fight is costing me currently .49 cents. All the excitement many out of sight, almost all recoverable without the spending a ton of money.

I've said for more the 10 years now " Out of sight is out of sight, weather it's at 300, 3,000 or 30,000 feet makes absolutely no difference". Only thing that changes is the amount spent to put our models there:)

Last edited:
because I don't know or at least never seen em yet, does anyone know if I can get micromaxx motors from anywhere in Canada? since I dought they are shippable accross borders. I'd love to own a few mirco rockets, but I'm not going to buy the rockets of I can get motors.

I'm not sure about Canada:
I have a bunch of friends in France who wanted to know the same thing, As far as I can tell Quest was unable to ship the MMX-II motors to France. I'd strongly suggest contacting Quest Customer service direct to see if they can ship MMX-II motors to you in Canada. Quest Aerospace, Inc. phone # 800-858-7302 www.questaerospace.com

I'm not sure about Canada:
I have a bunch of friends in France who wanted to know the same thing, As far as I can tell Quest was unable to ship the MMX-II motors to France. I'd strongly suggest contacting Quest Customer service direct to see if they can ship MMX-II motors to you in Canada. Quest Aerospace, Inc. phone # 800-858-7302 www.questaerospace.com

Great, Thanks for the #, I'll call them monday. I'm hoping they wont be under the same explosive class/regs the bigger motors are, & thus be shippable.
cross my fingers:wink:

But I live out here in the land of ROC... where we use D-12s as igniters. :p

I have built & flown some very large rockets that fly on O's & P's....and yes the igniters are larger than my Micro rockets.....

BUT I find building these tiny powerhouses every bit as challenging as their bigger brothers, and still get the "you really fly those?'' every time I show up with my teeny... tiny....fleet! Most know me for the larger projects I fly.

Good way to get my rocket "fix" in the dirt parking lot right across the street where I live, between driving 3 hrs to fly the big boys.
Nothing I fly there goes over 50-75 feet, I always get them back, & DON"T walk very darn far for recovery AND finally they weigh nothing to carry back to the "pad".LOL

PS One flight of this ones big brother costs more than all the micro's I could fly in a lifetime...LOL:grin: & I did not have to travel 3,000 miles to fly it.:y:

EDIT: that's me.... after thinking about it....John/Micro... probably has more MMX motors/total newton's stashed than ALL the big motors I have ever flown!!:facepalm:

100_3781.jpg

_LLS0632.jpg

100_6181.jpg

Last edited:
and best of all. each fight is costing me currently .49 cents. All the excitement many out of sight, almost all recoverable without the spending a ton of money.

Wow, 49/100ths of a cent per flight - where can I get MMX motors for that?

majordude they fly off of - usually - 1/16th inch launch rods. There are a bunch of approaches to making an adapter to fly off a club rack's 1/8th inch rods. The Quest MMX pad is set up to use them directly and have the pad hold the igniter rather than trying to retain it in that tiny nozzle. These little guys really are quite fun.

Do thy launch from standard 1/8" rods?
A quick adapter can be made from a clothespin and a piece of .0625 music wire. Just clip the clothespin to your standard 1/8" rod.

MMX_Launcher 01.jpg

MMX_Launcher 02.jpg

Last edited:
If only we could fly these in CA without having to get fire department permission...

No they fly from a .049" or .050" diameter Rod or now a MakerBeam 10mm Rail with Micro Rail buttons. Fliskits has a great little .063" diameter clear launch lug for sale or you can use small coffee stur-sitcks. drilled out 1/16" Plasticstruct styrene tube or the like. Randy a Railbuttons.com is about to offer two new size Rail buttons Mini rail buttons for use on 20mm rails and Micro buttons for use on Micro and Up size models. We've been testing these tiny 2-56" screw buttons for the last month or so. Should be available in a couple months or so if all goes well with the custom part mandrels.

It's very easy to make a simple slip-on Micro Maxx Launch rod adaptor from a 12" piece of .049" Steel or Stainless Steel music wire, a standard 1/8" x 1-1/2" Launch lug and an expended 18mm motor casing (See Pic below) Slides right over you standard 1/8" Launch rod and will double as an easy stand-off to help keep your regular models up off the blast deflector. Does not have to be removed to fly larger models just swivel the micro rod around to the back side of the 1/8" rod. If that seems to Cheesy there are any number of ways to build a Camera tripod attachment from as simple as a 1/4-20" standard Stainless Steel rod coupling and an 8-32" Thumbscrew to my everyday Micro launcher that can handle any Rod, Rail, Piston, Tower or combination I need.

LOL! Blackjack2564 ROTFL! I have gone though a bit over 2700 MMX motors over the last 15 years I doubt I've surpassed the total impulse you've put up:) I'm still sitting on 10 cases of MMX-II's and 5 cases of MMX-I motors so I don't think I'm going to run out anytime soon.

Sorry for the inadvertent extra period, 49 cents per flight was the intended amount which was incorrect anyway after I checked my records. The actual amount is 47 cents pre flight. How! some may ask? By going in with your club or a bunch of other micro flyers making a bulk order of 12 or more cases of motors from you favorite local hobby shop. Using this process it is possible to cut the cost WAY down and not have to pay shipping either. Next best way is to order motors direct for Quest in 2 to 4 case lots. You won't get quite as sweet a deal but more then worth it over time.

Quick n Dirty-p04_3pic Micro Slip-on Launch base_08-08-03.JPG

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-a1_St.Stl.25in x.875in RodCoupling_08-11-12.jpg

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-b1_.049inSt.StlRod&Deflector_5-19-01.jpg

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-b3_.1875inStStlRod&Deflector_5-19-01.jpg

Simple Camera Tripod Launcher Base-b_08-10-09.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-n_Add-on Clip & Rod_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-p1_Base &  Piston_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-q2_2 ring Tower_03-31-02.JPG

Last edited:
I think it takes a lot more skill to build the micro model rockets than anything else, especially the scaled versions. I give a lot of credit to builders out there who have a passion for these tiny rockets.

Last edited:
Here's my quick and dirty MMX rod adapter:

MicroMaxx L Rod.jpg

18mm engine casing
1/8" launch lug
12" long .049" rod
electrical tape

Use your standard LPR launcher with the 1/8" rod in place.
Slide the 1/8" lug down your standard 36" rod and launch your MMX rockets on the .049 rod opposite the 1/8" rod.
No need to remove the standard 36" long rod, or change out to a shorter 1/8" rod.

I think it takes a lot more scale to build the micro model rockets than anything else, especially the scaled versions. I give a lot of credit to builders out there who have a passion for these tiny rockets.

I think I've seen those modelers at state fairs. They are the same guys who work that booth that write your name on grains of rice.

I think I've seen those modelers at state fairs. They are the same guys who work that booth that write your name on grains of rice.

LOL Well it's not quite that bad... Actually Building Micro Scales isn't all that much harder then working on just about any Scale model. Most of the techniques used are identical. Below are just a few of the subject vehicles already Micronized:)

MM 211e_Nike-Tomahawk 5pic pg(300dpi)_05-13-99.jpg

MM 225a2-sm_124.55  Bomarc-T_07-16-01.jpg

MM 275a2_SpaceShipOne_2 Pic Competed _07-17-03.jpg

MM 276a1-sm_AGM-12b Bullpup A 26.9149_02-10-04.jpg

Back