• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Estes Shadow/Optima Fin Pattern Scans... W/scale markings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've found JimZ's scans, but w/o a scale, the printout is dubious. I've found a .rkt file on rocketreviews, but if the fin placement is "right" the fins are too large (backed up by my printout of JimZ's pattern). I've found so many errors in .rkt files from there, I always try to double check the info found there.

Anyone got a set they can scan w/a ruler so I can get accurate info?

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
I have "a few" Optimas. a couple in kit form and some semroc laser cut outs. I don't have a scanner here but I can get to my parents within a few days and hook you up. I 've also got measurements around here somewhere...

Here's some stuff from my downscales (includes full measurements) Pulled from an optima built around '95. I'll get some better images soon.

6320614786_a4709937ac_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks DW!

I'll wait for your updated images. I'm hoping that I'll be able to just print an image (and if necessary, scale it using a photocopier), otherwise I'm left with entering points into OR, and I've never been confident about the numbers I create with that, cause I can't calculate the lengths w/o a printout.

I just wish I could figure out how to enter the data points you've got in that photo into OR...

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Yeah to be able to determine the points we need at least one more dimension- the height of the fin tip from the body. Then you can derive the rest. Heck, if you knew for certain that the balsa sheet was 3 or 4" then you'd be golden too.

kj

here's scans of the semroc lasercuts. They're a different layout than the kits, but the exact sizes. I checked them to both the optima and shadow unbuilt kits. The kits are die cut, and wouldn't show up in scans well.

14000909199_b0c92cc5f0_o.jpg

here's scans of the semroc lasercuts. They're a different layout than the kits, but the exact sizes. I checked them to both the optima and shadow unbuilt kits. The kits are die cut, and wouldn't show up in scans well.

MiLqEAMia.gif

That should do nicely!

With the scale in place, I can print the image and scale it using a photocopier if necessary. BONUS: I can even use the photocopy to paper the fins!!! :)

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Back