Centuri Magnum Hornet 29mm Upscale Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Rocketman

Reaction score
what can I say, I like to upscale rockets. I am building an upscale version of Centuri's Magnum Hornet. I upscaled it to 2.56" tube size and made 1/8 inch aviation plywood fins for it. The rocket will run on the full range of Aerotech 29mm motors utilizing a 14" motor tube. A Estes 29mm motor retainer will hold the motor in.The rocket currently sims out at Mach .88 to 3060 ft. on an I-200W 29mm motor - not supersonic but pretty respectable speed for a large diameter rocket.

The motor mount uses 3 custom cut plywood centering rings to handle the added thrust of 29 mm motors. An ejection baffle eliminates the need for wadding or chute blankets. The parachute is a 12" thin mill Top Flite orange chute on a 3/8" Aerotech Mustang elastic shock cord. The rocket will be laminated tip to tip with two layers of 2 oz. fiberglass cloth and Aeropoxy laminating resin. Aeropoxy expoxy glue is used throughout the build. Acme rail guides are used to launch the rocket. A LOC 2.56" nose cone is also used.

I am currently in the laminating phase of the build and will begin assembling the rocket this weekend. I will post pics of the rocket when completed.

Last edited:
Considering all the build threads you've started in the last few weeks (I count at least a dozen), you sir are a building machine! Do you build "full time?"

Considering all the build threads you've started in the last few weeks (I count at least a dozen), you sir are a building machine! Do you build "full time?"

Actually no. I had a lot of rockets that I never finished building and decided to finish building them - all at the same time. I was getting tired of them just sitting on the shelf doing nothing but collecting dust not doing anything. I also like building upscales of low power rockets and creating my own custom builds as well. I do high quality work andam a good builder. It takes a lot of time to build nice looking good flying rockets as you probably well know. Being a former autobody mechanic/painter of 11 years and a former military jet aircraft mechanic of 6 years helps a lot in the building & flying of rockets and RC jet aircraft......finding the time to do it is another story.

I have had several people approach me and asked me about going into business building rockets full time, but of course, to do that, you have to have a steady stream of customers. I'm already a small business owner (communications service provider) so starting another business isn't a big deal. but I don't think there is enough demand, to go into building rockets full time - maybe part time, but not full time.

I have 55 rockets in my current stable of rockets - mostly high and mid power rockets. I don't have much of an interest in flying low power rockets. I flew low power as a kid and got burned out on that over time. About the only time I fly low power is when the wind is blowing too hard or we have a low cloud ceiling that prevents flying mid or high power.

Generally, when I build rockets, I tend to build several rockets at one time instead of continuously building one or two all the time. I do this because of time restraints. I have other things I like to do besides building rockets all the time plus I have to work sooooooooo. At this moment, am working on 10 new rockets at the same time. That's why you see a lot of build threads from me.

well, I've completed the build and the rocket turned out really nice. The web site isn't working right and won't allow me to upload pics right now soooooooooo. I haven't got to fly the rocket yet.

Last edited:
Back