Large High Power Launch Pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,

Thanks for sharing! I agree tie downs seem to be the best option and I really like what you guys have fabbed up.
Another question: Are Aeropac's pads made from 1/8" or 1/4" wall square tubing? I'm thinking of using 1/4" for the base/legs and then 1/8" for the mast which the rail attaches to.

-kip

I want to say your right on sizes. It would be a month or more before I could actually check the thickness. You do need some weight/strength to the thing. The backbone is 1.5" IIRC and is just "let into" the 3" sq boom section. A solid piece joins the two sections together. The rails stay connected to them and have their own alignment plates. Sorry if I'm not describing it very well.

One thing I would do is use thicker material here the boom mounts to the pad. I think ours has 1/4 and that's where most of the flex is.

This might help to show what I'm talking about..
Dr3.jpg

The above photo is a Coker style pad made out of SS. I made the wood support blocks to aid in preventing the rail bending while loading the rocket.

Tony

Yes I think going with 1/2" aluminum plate for the base side plates is the way to go. Also I'm debating cutting the angle adjustment slot for setting the rail. It removes a lot of material from each side plate and doesn't help the bending issue. Besides rail inclination just in one plane seems like a feature that I would rarely use. 99% of the time I want to fly straight up - particularly if using flight angle staging lockouts on all high alt flights. Instead, I will make the pads at the end of each leg adjustable.

Back