Maine Missile Math & Science Club 17 MAY 2014 JOINT LAUNCH with CMASS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAC of MMMSClub

Reaction score
Hi All,

17 May 2014 launch with MMMSC & CMASS!

Come on out and see our new trailer!

Who is going?

What are you launching?

Remember: Sunscreen, DEET,:mad::cool:

Birthday Cake! Yes I said CAKE!:bangpan:

I am planning on being there!

I have finished up some projects and hope to get some new rockets up in the air that weekend.

Black Saturday DarkStar 4" dual deploy (yes from 3 BS ago!).
Scratch-built C/D boost glider
Estes Ascender with the new 29mm BP motor

...and maybe a few other ones. We shall see what I can get worked out in 2 weeks!

Looks like I'll need to place a motor order with AMW...

Oooooh. CAKE!! I'll have to get going on minor repares to my Wildchild and finish off a half built Graduator!

I will have to see if I can make that launch. We flew last weekend, and have a tentative launch in RI this weekend as well as astronomy day, on Saturday. Been getting busy! :)

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

There are bugs there? Tell me there aren't any mosquitoes.

I'll be sitting in the doctor's office the Monday after swollen from bug bites saying "but there was cake".

I have some Old Time Rail Road lanterns filled with Tikki Torch oil with Citronella that light a path in our condo landscaping, we can light them and place them around you. You could even carrie one around!

I have some Old Time Rail Road lanterns filled with Tikki Torch oil with Citronella that light a path in our condo landscaping, we can light them and place them around you. You could even carrie one around!

Tikki torch helmet?

I've got a thing with a little fan in it that has the advantage of no flame.

Have you seen mosquitoes there? The times I've been there nothing came after me.

Tikki torch helmet?

I've got a thing with a little fan in it that has the advantage of no flame.

Have you seen mosquitoes there? The times I've been there nothing came after me.

I've never had a problem with any biting insects at the Maine field. There are some little flying bugs but nothing that is too interested in humans.

I am planning to go. Not sure what I will fly yet but I hope to fly my Madcow Aerobee (maiden flight) and a minimum diameter, two stage (gapped staging) design which flew well on low power at CMASS last year. I'll go for a little more altitude on the bigger field.

Bugs? Is it no-see-um time in Maine? I'm sure you need to check for ticks if you get into any brush. Hate those little *%($@!

I'm sure you need to check for ticks if you get into any brush. Hate those little *%($@!

Hey Mike,

Check out this thread for some suggestions to battle ticks. There are some good ideas above the post I made; there are also some that are refuted by others within the thread. Read carefully.

There was another thread that suggested pet flea & tick collars around the ankles but a later post stated these are toxic to humans, too, so I'd stay away from that.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

Check out this thread for some suggestions to battle ticks. There are some good ideas above the post I made; there are also some that are refuted by others within the thread. Read carefully.

There was another thread that suggested pet flea & tick collars around the ankles but a later post stated these are toxic to humans, too, so I'd stay away from that.

I know the drill for handling ticks. Still hate 'em anyway. :mad: But thanks for alerting others who might not be aware of the problem or possible precautions. We rocketeers are often rummaging around in deep grass or brush looking for rockets and this can be a real hazard.

Mostly what I have seen on the field are tiny honey bees and they are not a bother as they are very quick to determine I am not in need of pollination, and they buzz off......

I will have to see if I can make that launch. We flew last weekend, and have a tentative launch in RI this weekend as well as astronomy day, on Saturday. Been getting busy! :)

I will do the maiden flight of my D-Nelson Tomahawk if you are there. :grin:

Last edited:
I will be there.
I missed the Amesbury.
Got some winter builds to test.

I must be out of it - I missed adding this to my calendar. I'll check with the family. Would be great to fly on the big field. Will AMW be there?

I must be out of it - I missed adding this to my calendar. I'll check with the family. Would be great to fly on the big field. Will AMW be there?

I think Jason will be there. If so, he can bring an order and will have a selection of goodies with him. What say you, Robert or Jason?

If the forecast holds, I doubt that anyone will be there. :(

Just in case, can Sunday be a rain day?

The Presidents of both clubs will hold a summit meeting and determine if we are going to shift to Sunday. I'm thinking there is a high likelihood of that happening. Keep an eye on the newly reloaded CMASS site and MMMSClub site for more info.

I think Jason will be there. If so, he can bring an order and will have a selection of goodies with him. What say you, Robert or Jason?

According to their calendar at their website, Robert and Gloria will be elsewhere. It shows Jason covering the CMASS launch (listed in Sudbury - we need to get that updated for this and next month in Rhode Island, too). If you need to have something at the field, contact them ahead of time to be sure it's on hand.

Being a joint launch, I would expect to see Mr. Flis in attendance, as well.

Hi All,

Per multiple weather sites Saturday is a wash, RAIN!, LOW CLOUDS!, till 1300 then a steadily improving day. SO by SUNDAY the clouds are high, and the sky is clear, and little chance of rain.

So I will see you all on SUNDAY!

Word is that there is some road construction that we should be aware of. Where are they working? I doubt they will be doing much on Sunday but it would be good to know what to avoid.

That's definitely the long way around. So, is the problem that you can't get over the river in Somersworth? Google maps traffic is showing nothing unusual on my normal route up High St. (NH 9) off of exit 9..

That's definitely the long way around. So, is the problem that you can't get over the river in Somersworth? Google maps traffic is showing nothing unusual on my normal route up High St. (NH 9) off of exit 9..

When I went through for the previous launch, there were lots of detours through Somersworth and once you got over the bridge into Berwick. It was pretty well marked going toward the field but coming out was not so well marked; as usual, we had a conga line going out to dinner. I missed one turn (not well marked) but recovered because I sort of know the area. The bridge may be down to one lane each way and you can't make the left turn right off of it as you normally would.

The suggested route is a little longer but it should be clear sailing the whole way.

I take 125 all the way from 495 in Plaistow through Rochester to "2 aught 2" so I will miss it. :)

I think I'll take the 16 to exit 16 approach on the way up. May try 125-495-93 on the way back to Boston just to mix things up a bit.

Unfortunately, we are unable to make the launch due to the move to Sunday.... We're booked out with kitting to meet Mondays shipping needs...

Hope to make the next launch, in RI

Back