Biplane Glider Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of expanding my square rocket repertoire to a glider.
Biplane Swing Wing Glider.pngLooking at a swingwing biplane. Advantage is that with the wings stowed (two upper and two lower) the wings are compressed against the square body tube, therefore (in theory and fingers crossed) the drag shouldn't be much more than just the square body tube itself. The drawing is not to scale, but just illustrative, the wings and body tube would be much longer. Would probably need at least one strut mid length of each wing to maintain separation. Dihedral really isn't possible with this design (at least I haven't figured out how to do it easily!) Wings could be swept back a bit. Ideally I think would work best with a single hinge for all 4 wings.

Question: how far apart do the wings ( upper and lower) need to be to prevent interference/loss of efficiency?

Any other issues with this design (or pictures of people who have done this before?)

Thanks,

Tom

Didn't you bring this up before? I seem to reckon so, and even your posted diagram pic looks right.

While I haven't done *exactly* this, I have done some pretty sizey 'scrawlers' which are square bodied swing and scissor winged gliders. Should be pics on here from way enough back IIRC. If I added another wing/set to the top of the current pivots on a scrawler, I'd pretty much have this here.

Problem I ran into was that the Readiboard based wings warped over time, and hence, most of my scrawlers are not really flyable as is. Adding another wing to them would only increase the chances of inherent warpages fouling the glide into a spirally death.

If I 'get back on that horse', I'd likely just do as a pair of full span scissor wings instead of four 'halves'. With gliders like these, any 'moving fiddly part' that ends up being 'slightly off' once deployed usually ends up being magnified in the glide, typically badly. Also, I'm not really sure that having the extra wing/s would really improve the glide much. Would be interesting to see if this is so.

BTW, I like the Devils Triangle better than the Mach Diamond. Just 'looks' better....

Back