Anyone Here Make Kites?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I just recently got into sewing my own Chutes, and realized that I could probably Sew up a Kite.
Does anyone here have any Advice for me? I know about basic Kite shapes and whatnot, but I've never made one.
Are there any good Sites to go to for Plans? I'm gonna' go Google it...:)

Just went to Amazon and found a Book called "The Magnificent World of Kites" that says it tells you how. It was only like $3+$3.99S&H.

Last edited:
I used to make kites and have used some of my rip stop to make chutes. However, the rip stop used for kites is a lot more stiff and coated so they don't pack up as nice. I haven't purhcased anything there or visited the forum in years. However,when I was making kites, I spent a bit of time on kitebuilder.com

It looks fun, I see from a quick Search that there is lots of stuff available.

If memory serves, The Penguin Book of Kites by David Pelham is great.

+1 The best book of kites I've ever seen.

My cousin was the co-founder of Catch The Wind Kites on the Oregon coast. However he wasn't as good a business person as his ex, and he ran the stores into the ground after they divorced. I worked at the Florence location back in the summer of '87, after graduating from high school.

I've been known to fly an 8 pack of 6' stacker Flexifoils, and was nearly killed by it when I was forced to jump to prevent myself from plowing into a 2 year-old girl who froze in front of me while I was "sand skiing" at Brill Hill in Bucks (Concussion #1 of 3). Brill Hill is a wonderful place for flying small kites, but not at all suitable for 296 square feet of kite (on 500lb test spectra line). If I hadn't been strapped in, I might have made it...

In an issue of Kitelines magazine, I coined a phrase that you can find on some T-shirts... "If your kite can't kill you... It's too SMALL!!!". How's that for the Gen X mentality? If I had only copyrighted that slogan, I may have made some $$$ there.

That is why I keep the best of my ideas close to my chest.

I got into stunt kit flying along time ago and it was fun. I met some people who showed me how to make and sew my own kits and I still have them. We stacked three together and pulled our self's on a home made sled on this big grass field lots of fun.

After reading up on Kitebuilding, and gathering some Knowledge, I've decided it will be best to buy a few Kites and fly them first to get a feel for what I want in a Kite. This will also expose me to the Construction Techniques.
Even with the help of Books and the wealth of Knowledge on Kitebuilder.com and the Internet in general, I don't feel confident that I could build a Kite. I difinitely need to get my Hands on some first, then, I can start by simply replicating what I see and can feel. The subtle nuances of the Construction, like the Tension in the Components and such will provide me with a basis of what I should strive for in a Build.

I'm not in any great hurry to build one anymore. That will come when the Time is right.
I am going to fly my 808 Keychain Camera on the Kites I'm going to order. That will be fun.

We had a guy who would bring his kites to a rocket launch. If the wind was too much to fly rockets then he'd fly kites and not waste a 50 mile trip :)

I am going to make a way to mount my 808 Camera to it somehow after doing a little Research. If anyone has any Guidance in that Area Tips would be appreciated. I'm thinking something that clips to the Keel looking down might be what I need, and with some form of Positive Retention, so that it does'nt fall off.
Can't wait to make a Kite Video. I watched some on Youtube and it looks like fun.:grin:

Holy Cow Kites Are Awesome!!!!
Just flew my Stowaway Delta for the first time today and I love it!!! Got all 200ft. of line out and she flew beautifully.
Now I can think about flying my Camera next time. I think for now I'll just Duct Tape it to the Keel.

Holy Cow Kites Are Awesome!!!!
Just flew my Stowaway Delta for the first time today and I love it!!! Got all 200ft. of line out and she flew beautifully.
Now I can think about flying my Camera next time. I think for now I'll just Duct Tape it to the Keel.

Make a line climber... That way it's more fun

There are a couple of kite forums out there, patterns and parts are readily available.

I keep wanting to make something similar to a Revolution Kite, they are impressive.

I have a whole quiver of stunt kites, I've done lots of repairs including replacing ribs in my ram-air stunt kites, but I have yet to build one from the ground up.

I'm also a kite boarder, so I have some really big cool kites.

The power of the wind is awesome, nothing like holding on to a kite a running close to 30mph across the water and then making a big jump.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Back