Estes New 24mm Conquest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRC

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a build thread of the new Estes Conquest so all can see this skill level 5 kit. At first I notice that it has alot of estes QCC parts. The nose cone, tail cone, & air intakes are all the same as well as it's a 24mm motor mount, but thats where the simularities stop.
Picture 4630.jpgPicture 4629.jpg

O was thinking of picking one of these up, I shall be following faithfully, looks like a fun build.

I'd say it's worth getting, just cause of the amount of building makes it worth the $ to me.
Well I got started on this, first was to make the simple & stock 24mm engine mount with clip cause the tailcone wont allow for a retainer.
Next is to start building the air intakes with all it's tiny fragile balsa pieces, I got 1 started
Picture 4634.jpgPicture 4633.jpg.

I got the air intakes well on the way, so next is the tail fin construction. First is to glue the 2 tail halves together & then glue the 2 tail tops onto each other, then each side of tail fin. in end making one piece, now to let it dry.
Picture 4637.jpgPicture 4638.jpgPicture 4639.jpgPicture 4640.jpg

Yes I agree, nice to see any new higher skill level kit on market.
Next in construction is the tail fin spine, it's made of 3 pieces you glue together & after fit tail in between, I also got rough shape sanded into the tail fin that was 5 pieces thick.
Picture 4641.jpgPicture 4643.jpgPicture 4644.jpg

next is the wings, first the edges need to be sanded at a 85deg angle before being glued into shape, using the supplied angle checker I made sure angle is what is should be.
Picture 4650.jpgPicture 4651.jpgPicture 4652.jpg

Next to build is what Estes calls the details....I call them the bombs:eyepop: Now I'm going to take some time to fill & sand things as well as work on a few other rockets I got going.
Picture 4653.jpgPicture 4656.jpg

I will have to note they are now to be called "details." Always trying to be more PC. I know the Estes Honest John is now decaled "US Military." I guess that does in my plan for an F-105 rocket dropping retarded bombs, sorry there I go again! Flying low and feeling mean, saw a village by the stream. . . so sorry again, but this kit is bringing out the Cold Warrior mentality that was drilled into us as children. I will repress it and conform to PCness! DETAILS-DETAILS-DETAILS

This looks like a very cool kit. From the engine block and orange spacer, am I correct in assuming this is chambered for an Estes E motor? I'm thinking an Aerotech F24W would be about perfect!

I will have to note they are now to be called "details." Always trying to be more PC. I know the Estes Honest John is now decaled "US Military." I guess that does in my plan for an F-105 rocket dropping retarded bombs, sorry there I go again! Flying low and feeling mean, saw a village by the stream. . . so sorry again, but this kit is bringing out the Cold Warrior mentality that was drilled into us as children. I will repress it and conform to PCness! DETAILS-DETAILS-DETAILS

:lol: I can just imagine the memo to replace the word Bomb after a lengthy meeting about using a more PC term. Estes don't seem to mind "missiles" in the screaming eagle & new Cobra kits. I guess they are friendlier then bombs:wink:
Here is a pic of the instructions.
Picture 4658.jpg
This looks like a very cool kit. From the engine block and orange spacer, am I correct in assuming this is chambered for an Estes E motor? I'm thinking an Aerotech F24W would be about perfect!
Yes sir, D12,E9 & E12 are "recommended" motors, I dont got a F24 but I imagine an E15 or E30 would do the trick too;)

Awesome build thread! I've been eyeing this kit since I saw an ad for it a couple months ago. Now that it's finally out need to go buy one.

Thanx! Ya as soon as I saw it I preordered it. I didn't do much with it yesterday, but I did get the wings glued together again using the handy lil angle checker. Also just realized estes calls for CA to be used for entire build, I've been using wood glue for balsa & CA for plastic only, oh well I guess I'll see if that was a mistake.
Picture 4657.jpg

You can use wood glue for the entire build if you like. I for one use Titebond glue 95% of the time. The instructions can get real confusing if you mention too many different types of glue, and since CA works on everything, it a good choice to put into the instructions.

As for The Details used for the Bomb\ Fuel Tank, it’s just a generic term I like to use for things that are add-ons that make the model look cool but don’t really need to be there.

John Boren
Estes R&D

P.S. By the way that radar unit on top of the fin should have a nice oval shape to it when you done with it. Of course if may not be a radar unit at all but it still should be oval in shape. Have Fun.

Thanks Jumpjet, I got the wings glued on, but I will give some advice to you all. On the tail fin spine there is notches in middle that dont line up when you line up the ends(see pic 1), leave them they are suppose to be like that, it's so the tail fin & spine can line up right. In my first building days I may have cut that off thinking it was wrong, but nope, it's laser cutting at is finest.
Picture 4658.jpgPicture 4659.jpg

Looking real good :cool: Thinking of adding the Conquest to my build pile :rolleyes: There is one thing that scares me, all that wood :y: So I must ask, how do you plan to finish the wings? High build primer, tons of sanding sealer, papering, etc? :confused: As far as the details, I would call them pods, a'la the B-58 Hustler :grin: A fuel & weapons pod to be dropped on targets on the way to the primary :clap:

Looking real good :cool: Thinking of adding the Conquest to my build pile :rolleyes: There is one thing that scares me, all that wood :y: So I must ask, how do you plan to finish the wings? High build primer, tons of sanding sealer, papering, etc? :confused: As far as the details, I would call them pods, a'la the B-58 Hustler :grin: A fuel & weapons pod to be dropped on targets on the way to the primary :clap:

Thanx! I'll just use lots of primer to fill the wood, I dont got it in me to seal & sand all that wood & your right in thinking there is alot of it. Too late to paper I think
LOL the "details" thats exactly what I was going to say & thought, it both fuel tanks & bombs cause I'm saying they are filled with jet fuel that can be consumed or dropped an as incendiary devices.
So I got the rear fins & 1 air intake glued on, next is adding fillets to everything, including these tiny fillets on the "details"
IMG_0470.jpgPicture 4669.jpg

Here she is almost all built, just need to add sc mount & MM,along with more filling & sanding. It's quit impressive looking size wise with it's big long wings.
Picture 4670.jpgPicture 4671.jpgPicture 4672.jpgPicture 4673.jpg

Yup, gona have to add one to the pile. What paint scheme & paint are you thinking of using.

Very COOL! nice build thread CRC
I was wondering if you could give us some sense of the size of her? (wing span, length)

looking forward to seeing her painted

Yup, gona have to add one to the pile. What paint scheme & paint are you thinking of using.

Paint colour...not sure yet, paint I'll be using Krylon

Very COOL! nice build thread CRC
I was wondering if you could give us some sense of the size of her? (wing span, length)
looking forward to seeing her painted

Thank you! length is just over 26.5" & wingspan in just over 12.5", I'm curious what she'll weigh after I'm done painting her.
Thanks Reytech

I looked at this kit when it came out and thought it looked crappy from the picture on the package.
Now that I see your build, I'm thinking I was wrong. VERY WRONG !

Duuuun dun, Duuun dun, duun dun, dun dun
Watch out it's almost here & complete, more pics when its done.
Picture 4852.jpgPicture 4851.jpg

Back