Patch hole in Bluetube 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
I've drilled a switch hole in some blue tube and don't need it.

I can accesses the hole from the inside no problem.

Masking tape the hole outside, mix some 5 min epoxy and poor in, pull the tape when it starts to set like gel. Then make smooth with IPA and a blade over the surface?

I've drilled a switch hole in some blue tube and don't need it.

I can accesses the hole from the inside no problem.

Masking tape the hole outside, mix some 5 min epoxy and poor in, pull the tape when it starts to set like gel. Then make smooth with IPA and a blade over the surface?

No, right process, but let the epoxy dry completely and then sand lightly, it will turn out better than getting sagging/pull when in gel state.

BTW, you keep using IPA, what does that stand for? Isopropyl alcohol? Indian Pale Ale? (I suppose both would work :)).

No, right process, but let the epoxy dry completely and then sand lightly, it will turn out better than getting sagging/pull when in gel state.

BTW, you keep using IPA, what does that stand for? Isopropyl alcohol? Indian Pale Ale? (I suppose both would work :)).

Oh, also, I'm assuming you are using packing tape or good vinyl tape so there is minimal adhesion to the epoxy. Don't use regular masking tape with epoxy.

Last edited:
Oh, also, I'm assuming you are using packing tape or good vinyl tape so there is minimal adhesion to the epoxy. Don't use regular masking tape with epoxy.

What if I use masking tape around the hole then stick packing tape on that?

Sticky side over the hole?

What if I use masking tape around the hole then stick packing tape on that?

Sticky side over the hole?

You can, but you will get a bit of seepage either way and will have a bit of light sanding to do. Also optional is to add filler like micro-balloons to thicken and make it easier to sand when finished.

Back