Northern Wisconsin, closest launch sites/clubs.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrAdam

Reaction score
I might be moving north. Doesn't appear there are any clubs or launch sites in northern WI. Am I missing them on the Tripoli site or elsewhere?
Anybody thinking about starting a club or know of land up north to launch? Anywhere north of Wausau.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

As far as I know, they all launch in the southern portion of the state.

Of all the times I've been in northern Wisconsin, I can't imagine anywhere that's open enough to allow for even low power launches.

How far north are you possibly going? My oldest brother lives in Ashland.

-Kevin

Northern where? East, West, Central? There is at least one site I know of in the U.P. if that's the direction you're headed, let me know.

Central. Somewhere sound Wausau. We have not decided yet. It will be based on schools for our children and employment. My stepfather was an agribusiness instructor in that area so I a sure I can find land for low/mid power when crops are off. High power is another thing. Might have to find a factory farm and get an agreement with them. That would require a club. I'm not in a position to do that. Just not looking forward to 5/6 hour trips to bong as much as I enjoy everyone there.

Central. Somewhere sound Wausau. We have not decided yet. It will be based on schools for our children and employment. My stepfather was an agribusiness instructor in that area so I a sure I can find land for low/mid power when crops are off. High power is another thing. Might have to find a factory farm and get an agreement with them. That would require a club. I'm not in a position to do that. Just not looking forward to 5/6 hour trips to bong as much as I enjoy everyone there.

I don't know of anything in that area, but there is a bright side - you're not the only one. A fellow drove down to Bong (from Wausau) a few weeks ago to fly his L2 certification. I don't know his name offhand, but I can dig it up. New section in the works?

Tripoli Minnesota, Prefecture #45, launches out of North Branch Minnesota, on the second Saturday of the month from a large sod farm during the summer. Google maps states it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Wausau. 17,000 ft waiver, on site vendor, port-a-potty, and a great bunch of guys (and gals). We even have some Packer fans.

Mike

You can search for rocketry clubs near a specified location at:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocketry-clubs.html

For example, here's a list of Rocketry Clubs Near Woodruff, WI sorted by the approximate distance to each club's launch site.

BTW, I looked on Google maps for the name of a large city in northern Wisconsin to use. Hmmm, it looks like there aren't any. So, I picked Woodruff pretty much at random. :)

--Roger

Well the shortest trip appears to be 2-1/2 hours to a LARS launch but no listing on the web page. I don't live near Wausau yet. We are in a planning stage of the process now. Just curious what's up there.

Thanks for the help.

I'm one of the few in the area, here is the current state of rocketry in my general vicinity (in Manitowoc; on Lake Michigan between Milwaukee and Green Bay).

Clubs:
-Woosh & Tripoli Wisconsin Association (TWA): As others have said, the most active groups in Wisconsin are Woosh (NAR) and TWA (TRA) that both operate out of Bong in Southeastern Wisconsin.

-Tripoli Upper Michigan: Bill Bertoldi has a great little group that fly at the Groveland Mine site at Randville, MI. Unfortunately, Bill is losing his site after his June (14th if I remember correct) launch as they are re-opening the mine.

-LARS (Lakeshore Area Rocketry Society): I formed this club in 2006 or 2007. It grew and eventually became a NAR Section (LARS) and Tripoli Prefecture (Tripoli Manitowoc #120). LARS hasn't had a launch for some time and Tripoli Manitowoc lost its high power field and is essentially dead.

-Cool City Rocketeers: After I migrated away from LARS, there was still a group of loyal rocketeers in my area. We formally formed a NAR Section last year and have been operating out of the Two Rivers High School location on a fairly regular basis. We are an active Section; though we don't have a website. If you want "in" on launch announcements, send me an email and I'll put you on the list. We have the first launch of the season on Saturday, May 10th; it is a low-mid power launch only (3.3lbs rocket, 125g motor limit)

-If there are others, I don't know about them; and I do know of most rocketeers in the region in some shape or form.

-Eric-

Back