I'm a newbie again - returning from hiatus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junk

Reaction score
Hey folks. Used to be into rocketry when my son was younger, just maybe 6-8 years ago. I’d worked my way to L2 but then we left the hobby. At the time, there was all types of regulatory stuff going on about storing propellant etc and it made all of this pretty daunting for anything other than low/mid power.

How does one go about getting quickly up to speed? My son is now 12 and he’s bitten by the fever again, so I’m hopping in with both feet. Are my old reusable motor casings still good (most were Loki)? Where do I find the new rules, or have then gone out the window and we can buy whatever/whenever I want (dreaming probably).

I’m in NJ. I think there was a garden state rocket club and a bigger club that was tripoli maybe called mebra or something like that who launched in pine island ny.
Thanks

Agree that best thing to do is join a club, build stuff, fly it, work your way up.

If you were levl 2 before, things haven't changed much. There are now no restrictions on propellant or store-bought motors. The only restriction still in place is that you need a LEUP to store black powder in your garage. Unless you buy it for a muzzle-loading rifle, in which case no paperwork is required. ;)

Welcome to TRF!!
I'm 15, and got into mid and High power rocketry about a year ago, and the great people on here got me up to speed in just a month or two. If you're in NJ, the Radrocketeers are a great club. I joined in June of last year, and there are just so many great people. We fly from Godlewsky farms with massive amounts of recovery area, have a 5,000 ft. waiver, 1010 rails, and an onsite vendor who stocks both Aerotech and CTI. As for laws, there's still stuff I'm learning, but what I know is that you can legally store propellant without a LEUP, some ignitors require a LEUP, technically anyone using BP for ejection charges needs a LEUP, although this is rarely enforced from what I here. anything with over 32(?) grams of propellant in any one chunk requires HAZMAT shipping from an authorized source, incurring a $28 fee. I'm sure others will chime in with more information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info folks. Nute, looks like I'm about 10 mins west of you. I'll check out the new club. Thanks.

Welcome back!
Lots of fun to be had here, and all sorts of encouragement to enjoy all Facets of the Hobby.

I’m in NJ. I think there was a garden state rocket club and a bigger club that was tripoli maybe called mebra or something like that who launched in pine island ny.
Thanks

Hi Junk. Welcome back.

The club you are thinking of is METRA. They've had some issues with fields in the last few years but are back to flying. You can use the search tool here to find some threads about them and some contact information.

As others have said, storage rules have eased up but are still in force for some elements. Someone in the club can fill you in on all the current info.

Back