Hi everyone! New with a question :D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSLSCAC

Reaction score
Morning guys!

My three boys (7,6 and almost 5) and I are just getting into rocketry.

We have 5 rockets, all easy Estes designs.

Im running into a problem where after we launch and recover the rocket, our parachute lines and shock cord are all twisted up amongst each other, which kinda makes it a bear to relaunch on the same day lol.

Was wondering if anyone had any pointers to keep em from tangling up.

Also, how do yall transport your rockets from car to launch site, or vice versa? I have just been folding up the parachute and putting it in the tube to carry to the car, but yesterday when I went to take the chute out of the tube when we got home (to untangle it from the shock cord lol) I ripped the strings right out of the chute :sad::roll:

Any help is appreciated! The kids and I are having a great time with this hobby so far!

Mitch

For the twisting it helps to install a swivel instead of tying the parachute directly to the shock cord as Estes shows in their instructions.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1398335536.536548.jpg

Plastic parachutes are fragile. Before upgrading to nylon chutes you might try reinforcement rings around the hole where the parachute lines are attached.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1398335633.835952.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Of course, a streamer would work as well. There are several streamer calculators online (here's one: https://www.rocketreviews.com/streamer-calculator.html). You can make them out of crepe paper, plastic, or even nylon. They let the rocket descend faster, as an added bonus. I gave up on plastic chutes a while ago for your exact reasons.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to TRF and glad you and yours are enjoying the flights.
Using snap swivels and removing the chutes from the rocket and putting them in bags after each day's flight may help.

Also, if you are a "winder" and wrap the shroud lines around the parachutes for storage, instead of holding the chute with one hand and "winding" the cord around the roles up chute (thus imparting a "twist" to the winding), roll up the chute, hold it both both ends and "spin" the chute to wind the lines around the chute.

In any case, always completely open the chute and straighten the lines before your final packing for flight, ideally just before putting it on the pad, to keep the chute plastic from getting "frozen" in the folded shape. A dusting of baby powder works wonders, Wally World has travel size bottles that fit well in a range box.

Straight Trails!

For the twisting it helps to install a swivel instead of tying the parachute directly to the shock cord as Estes shows in their instructions.

View attachment 169946

Plastic parachutes are fragile. Before upgrading to nylon chutes you might try reinforcement rings around the hole where the parachute lines are attached.

View attachment 169947

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Fantastic ideas! I will definitely do this before next launchings this weekend, thanks!
Would I leave the end of the swivel untied, just threaded to the shock cord? Or do I wanna tie the shock cord down?

Of course, a streamer would work as well. There are several streamer calculators online (here's one: https://www.rocketreviews.com/streamer-calculator.html). You can make them out of crepe paper, plastic, or even nylon. They let the rocket descend faster, as an added bonus. I gave up on plastic chutes a while ago for your exact reasons.

Welcome aboard!

I plugged the weight of the Amazon (3.3 oz) into the calculator
Most streamers I have seen (very limited amount lol) are 1" wide.
According to the calculator, I would need about a 10 and 3/4 foot long streamer lol
I think I oughta read that fellas book lol :D

All the square inch measurements are the same, so I reckon a 10" x 12" streamer would work, but then wouldnt you roll it like a parachute? lol

Welcome to TRF and glad you and yours are enjoying the flights.
Using snap swivels and removing the chutes from the rocket and putting them in bags after each day's flight may help.
Also, if you are a "winder" and wrap the shroud lines around the parachutes for storage, instead of holding the chute with one hand and "winding" the cord around the roles up chute (thus imparting a "twist" to the winding), roll up the chute, hold it both both ends and "spin" the chute to wind the lines around the chute.

In any case, always completely open the chute and straighten the lines before your final packing for flight, ideally just before putting it on the pad, to keep the chute plastic from getting "frozen" in the folded shape. A dusting of baby powder works wonders, Wally World has travel size bottles that fit well in a range box.

Straight Trails!

After mentalizing my process, I am absolutely a winder lol
I will try the other method, with some baby powder!

Maybe my packing process is wrong all together... I do wadding, shock cord, parachute, then the little bit of left over shock cord, then the nose...

Sorry if Im being over bearing guys, I just wanna learn to be decent at it lol

Fantastic ideas! I will definitely do this before next launchings this weekend, thanks!
Would I leave the end of the swivel untied, just threaded to the shock cord? Or do I wanna tie the shock cord down?

You would want to keep the swivel in place on the shock cord either a loop or simple knot.

I have migrated to mostly nylon chutes on "most" of my rockets. They fold easier, tangle less and last a whole lot longer than the cheapy plastic chutes in the kits. They typically run between $5-7 for an Estes sized chute. I use a "fishing" snap swivel to easily change them between rockets.

Jerome

I have migrated to mostly nylon chutes on "most" of my rockets. They fold easier, tangle less and last a whole lot longer than the cheapy plastic chutes in the kits. They typically run between $5-7 for an Estes sized chute. I use a "fishing" snap swivel to easily change them between rockets.

Jerome

This...

TopFlight (and others) make the small 'chutes very affordable. Worth it to me to avoid the extended untangling sessions :facepalm:

You can also get ripstop nylon at fabric stores for $7-9 a yard. That and some nylon cord from Lowes will make alot of chutes. They don;t have to be pretty to work. Small fishing swivels will also help a lot.

Even better, go to a thrift store. They have fabric really cheap. ($3 a yard).

Welcome aboad! I mean a broad! I mean aboard!

Let us know what you go with and how it works out.

Looks like you got a lot of good answers on the chute. I'd add if you pulled the strings out of the chute it was stuffed in too tight and might not have come out with the ejection charge. May be worth a try folding it fewer times before inserting it in the rocket.

Something you didn't ask about but could help: I've found the kids can lose interest quickly while waiting for the rockets to be prepped for flight. To help keep them interested, I'll prepare several rockets before hand and bring them to the site ready to go. That way, I can get at least seven rockets off before I have to re-prep them and the kids get distracted by something else like playground equipment. It goes even smoother if a friend comes along who can re-prep the rockets as others are being launched.

I have a couple tallish boxes that came with Estes RTF rockets I bought. They're large enough to each carry a few rockets nose down, fins sticking out. I can carry seven or so rockets this way, plus the launch gear in one re-usable grocery bag.

Looks like you got a lot of good answers on the chute. I'd add if you pulled the strings out of the chute it was stuffed in too tight and might not have come out with the ejection charge. May be worth a try folding it fewer times before inserting it in the rocket.

Something you didn't ask about but could help: I've found the kids can lose interest quickly while waiting for the rockets to be prepped for flight. To help keep them interested, I'll prepare several rockets before hand and bring them to the site ready to go. That way, I can get at least seven rockets off before I have to re-prep them and the kids get distracted by something else like playground equipment. It goes even smoother if a friend comes along who can re-prep the rockets as others are being launched.

I have a couple tallish boxes that came with Estes RTF rockets I bought. They're large enough to each carry a few rockets nose down, fins sticking out. I can carry seven or so rockets this way, plus the launch gear in one re-usable grocery bag.

Even better, find a club to launch with! This way the kids have more rockets to watch while you prep! I know how it is to have to wrangle little ones. Hopefully they will be assisting with the prep soon enough!

Jerome :)

Once I switched to nylon chutes, I was amazed at how much easier they are to fold and how the lines do not tangle. I'm never going back, and now whenever I order a new kit, I also order a new chute. I've been getting them from Top Flight Recovery. If the rockets are small diameter, you can get a nylon thin mill chute. Streamers will also work well for light, small-diameter rockets that chutes are hard to stuff into.

Before switching to nylon chutes, I switched out most of the lines on my plastic chutes to braided mason's line in neon yellow --- that helped a lot with preventing tangles and making tangles easier to untangle. It does make for more to stuff into the rocket, so maybe it's not great for very small rockets.

Another good thing about a swivel that can be unhooked from the nose cone or shock cord is that by removing the parachute, it makes it easier to untangle and untwist fouled lines, especially if the twist is the result of the nose cone having passed through the lines.

On being a "winder" --- I think winding the cords around the chute is not the best way to store it, and definitely not the best for packing it for deployment. There are some threads about how to fold chutes that you might want to take a look at.

On transporting rockets --- a week ago I was transporting a bunch of rockets in a large cardboard box. They were all standing on end pointing up, fins down, and they were sort of loose and rattling around. My friend got one of those interlocking cardboard separators that go into wine boxes to keep bottles from smashing together, and he slid that down over the rockets from above, and it held everything together very nicely.

Grab a "space blanket" at your local sporting goods store. You might also find them in the sports section of Wmart, etc.

These are aluminized mylar sheets, usually about six feet by eight, and the thin material is strong and light. You can cut a LOT of circles (parachutes) out of one of these, and a LOT of two-inch wide strips (streamers). This material really sparkles up in the sky as it flexes, making it much easier to track the descent. And even after your rocket lands, this stuff still blows in the breeze and flexes and sparkles, making it easier to spot your rocket on the ground.

For bigger fabric chutes I use a swivel and hook to shock cord with a quick link.

For smaller fabric chutes and plastic [not used to much anymore] I use the snap swivels like in the tackle fishing section of the walmart. That makes them less tangled after flight and removable from the rocket for storage and to change for flying conditions.

Kenny

Good, low power rocket 'chute folding technique shown here:

How to prepare a model rocket for flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6evC1N05c

Using a fishing tackle snap swivel on your 'chute to attach it to the nose cone, allowing 'chutes to be easily moved between rockets and reduce shroud line tangles on descent:

100_3999.jpg

Good process shown here to attach 'chute's shroud lines to the snap swivel:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/10/installing-untangled-shroud-lines.html

Last edited:
Morning guys!

My three boys (7,6 and almost 5) and I are just getting into rocketry.

We have 5 rockets, all easy Estes designs.

Im running into a problem where after we launch and recover the rocket, our parachute lines and shock cord are all twisted up amongst each other, which kinda makes it a bear to relaunch on the same day lol.

Was wondering if anyone had any pointers to keep em from tangling up.

Also, how do yall transport your rockets from car to launch site, or vice versa? I have just been folding up the parachute and putting it in the tube to carry to the car, but yesterday when I went to take the chute out of the tube when we got home (to untangle it from the shock cord lol) I ripped the strings right out of the chute :sad::roll:

Any help is appreciated! The kids and I are having a great time with this hobby so far!

Mitch

Welcome and it sounds like you guys are having fun already!! :headbang:

As far as transferring rockets from car to launch site -- I usually transport my rockets in the car inside a large storage tote like this,

1118.jpg

so I usually just haul that to the launch site. I would say 98% of the times I launch it is possible to back up the car literally within feet of the launch site, so the rear floor of my SUV often becomes my rocket prepping area.

This idea is basically OK but there can be a problem: plastic chutes, especially in cooler/colder weather as many of us may encounter early in the season, tends to get stiff when packed inside body tubes, which sometimes can result in the dreaded "plastic wad" recovery method (chute is ejected, but does not unfurl and remains packed in a wad and rocket comes in hard [although usually not disastrously so]).

While you can pre-prep motors with igniters at home and also pack in wadding, I almost always pull out the chute, snap it open, and then refold/repack it before launching. Only takes maybe 30 seconds and cuts down on the "plastic wad" problems. It also helps to store/transport rockets in places where it does not get really really cold. Lightly dusting the chutes with talcum powder also helps reduce 'plastic wad syndrome.'

It most definitely helps if you can get 2 or 3 people who know what they're doing and can set up an 'assembly line' to get models prepped. When one person has to do it all things do tend to drag and everybody tends to stand around watching that one person prep rockets, asking him "when is it going to be ready?" which of course leads to rushed jobs and OTHER problems.

:facepalm:

The other suggestions such as snap swivels and grommets to anchor shroud lines are good too.

Last edited:
Check here: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_31
and here:https://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_87
and "Model Rocket Design And Construction" by Van Milligan and "Handbook of Model Rocketry" by Stine.
Lots of tips and tricks to prevent tangles.
I will be checking these out tonight... Long 12 hour graveyard shift tonight lol :lol:

You would want to keep the swivel in place on the shock cord either a loop or simple knot.
Thanks! I was thinking of fishers loop on shock cord to swivel, swivel to nose cone, chute strings to nose cone, or something along those lines.
Maybe just a chute distance from shock cord type thing, keep it as far away from a possible lol :smile:

Jerome
I think I will be getting nylon chutes shortly, I hope they work better then plastic, sounds like they do!

This...

TopFlight (and others) make the small 'chutes very affordable. Worth it to me to avoid the extended untangling sessions :facepalm:
Dread untangling sessions lol

You can also get ripstop nylon at fabric stores for $7-9 a yard. That and some nylon cord from Lowes will make alot of chutes. They don;t have to be pretty to work. Small fishing swivels will also help a lot.
Not sure I am ready to take the plunge into design yet lol, I'll let the pros do the designing for now :roll:

Even better, go to a thrift store. They have fabric really cheap. ($3 a yard).
This is a good idea for when I start designing!

Welcome aboad! I mean a broad! I mean aboard!

Let us know what you go with and how it works out.
Will do! Planning on a launch tomorrow afternoon :D

Yeah, it wasn't a launch fold for sure, it was more of a stuff the chute into the tube to just transport home fold lol :lol:
Lession learned though for sure!
I had the 5 prepped when I got there, ready to go.
I would let one of the kids press the launch button after countdown, then they all went to shag em, so I had a plenty good amount of time for repackaging, you know, since they had to royal rumble to figure out who got to carry them back lol

Even better, find a club to launch with! This way the kids have more rockets to watch while you prep! I know how it is to have to wrangle little ones. Hopefully they will be assisting with the prep soon enough!

Jerome :)
There is a club here!
https://www.scronline.net/
I just kinda wanted to get our feet a little wet before we went lol
I do plan on taking the kids soon though!
My 7 year old loves to help with the building of level 1s, 6 year old likes the snap together ones lol
4 year old like to punch his brothers while they are building and flee in terror after lmao :lol:

Once I switched to nylon chutes, I was amazed at how much easier they are to fold and how the lines do not tangle. I'm never going back, and now whenever I order a new kit, I also order a new chute. I've been getting them from Top Flight Recovery. If the rockets are small diameter, you can get a nylon thin mill chute. Streamers will also work well for light, small-diameter rockets that chutes are hard to stuff into.

Before switching to nylon chutes, I switched out most of the lines on my plastic chutes to braided mason's line in neon yellow --- that helped a lot with preventing tangles and making tangles easier to untangle. It does make for more to stuff into the rocket, so maybe it's not great for very small rockets.

Another good thing about a swivel that can be unhooked from the nose cone or shock cord is that by removing the parachute, it makes it easier to untangle and untwist fouled lines, especially if the twist is the result of the nose cone having passed through the lines.

On being a "winder" --- I think winding the cords around the chute is not the best way to store it, and definitely not the best for packing it for deployment. There are some threads about how to fold chutes that you might want to take a look at.

On transporting rockets --- a week ago I was transporting a bunch of rockets in a large cardboard box. They were all standing on end pointing up, fins down, and they were sort of loose and rattling around. My friend got one of those interlocking cardboard separators that go into wine boxes to keep bottles from smashing together, and he slid that down over the rockets from above, and it held everything together very nicely.
Masons line is a great idea! Will use this idea when I start making my own for sure.
I have been lurking around chute folding threads for a little bit now, think I have a little better understanding.

A lot more steps then fold turn down fold wrap lol :)
Will give this a shot!

Grab a "space blanket" at your local sporting goods store. You might also find them in the sports section of Wmart, etc.

These are aluminized mylar sheets, usually about six feet by eight, and the thin material is strong and light. You can cut a LOT of circles (parachutes) out of one of these, and a LOT of two-inch wide strips (streamers). This material really sparkles up in the sky as it flexes, making it much easier to track the descent. And even after your rocket lands, this stuff still blows in the breeze and flexes and sparkles, making it easier to spot your rocket on the ground.
This is an awesome idea! Kids would love it too!

For bigger fabric chutes I use a swivel and hook to shock cord with a quick link.

For smaller fabric chutes and plastic [not used to much anymore] I use the snap swivels like in the tackle fishing section of the walmart. That makes them less tangled after flight and removable from the rocket for storage and to change for flying conditions.

Kenny
Thanks Kenny! Imma be stopping by WM before our launch tomorrow :)

Good, low power rocket 'chute folding technique shown here:

How to prepare a model rocket for flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6evC1N05c

Using a fishing tackle snap swivel on your 'chute to attach it to the nose cone, allowing 'chutes to be easily moved between rockets and reduce shroud line tangles on descent:

100_3999.jpg

Good process shown here to attach 'chute's shroud lines to the snap swivel:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/10/installing-untangled-shroud-lines.html
Will check these out tonight!

Welcome and it sounds like you guys are having fun already!! :headbang:

As far as transferring rockets from car to launch site -- I usually transport my rockets in the car inside a large storage tote like this,

1118.jpg

so I usually just haul that to the launch site. I would say 98% of the times I launch it is possible to back up the car literally within feet of the launch site, so the rear floor of my SUV often becomes my rocket prepping area.

This idea is basically OK but there can be a problem: plastic chutes, especially in cooler/colder weather as many of us may encounter early in the season, tends to get stiff when packed inside body tubes, which sometimes can result in the dreaded "plastic wad" recovery method (chute is ejected, but does not unfurl and remains packed in a wad and rocket comes in hard [although usually not disastrously so]).

While you can pre-prep motors with igniters at home and also pack in wadding, I almost always pull out the chute, snap it open, and then refold/repack it before launching. Only takes maybe 30 seconds and cuts down on the "plastic wad" problems. It also helps to store/transport rockets in places where it does not get really really cold. Lightly dusting the chutes with talcum powder also helps reduce 'plastic wad syndrome.'

It most definitely helps if you can get 2 or 3 people who know what they're doing and can set up an 'assembly line' to get models prepped. When one person has to do it all things do tend to drag and everybody tends to stand around watching that one person prep rockets, asking him "when is it going to be ready?" which of course leads to rushed jobs and OTHER problems.

:facepalm:

The other suggestions such as snap swivels and grommets to anchor shroud lines are good too.
We launch at a large school field. The wind is usually blowing from the west to the east, which is right from the field to the school lol
So we trek from the parking lot to the opposite end of the field
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.3...3,-104.754725&sspn=0.005447,0.006899&t=h&z=16

Since we only have 5 right now, I carry the tackle box full of supplies, one carries 2 rockets and wife and 2 other kids carry one each. It works for now, but I think a tub will be in order soon!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot -

Tomorrow we will be launching -
All Estes brands -
Crossfire, Rascal, Amazon and Shuttle Xpress (lost one of our 5 to melting last launch) on B6-6s, as that is all WM ever has lol

I ordered some C6-5s, which should be in next week. I also have a Viking rocket enroute.

What are some good (kid friendly) other builds besides Estes?

Anywho, before tomorrows launch I will be swinging by WM for swivels and powder, and repacking all the chutes.

Hope its good weather tomorrow! We are all looking forward to it.

Hobby Lobby is a good place to purchase motors. Take the Mrs and oldest child with you. Each of you gets a copy of that weeks 40% off coupon (available on the website) and takes 1 pack of motors to the check out... I see that they have one in Pueblo, several more along the I-25 corridor north of there.

When you get home and want to extract the parachute, after removing the motor casing, put it to your lips and give a good strong puff of air. Everything ejects just as it would in flight, no more damaged chutes.

Check on ebay for kits. Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack (unclemikesrocketshack.com) usually has a few specials running, and sometimes JonRocket (jonrocket.com) as well. Both of them sell directly and from ebay stores. Semroc is going out of business (Semroc.com) but they have a few kits remaining. Just look for skill level 1 kits for the children, and what ever you feel comfortable with for yourself. There are several other vendors/manufactuers but I have dealt directly with these and will highly recommend them.
For the snap together type kits I think you are limited to Estes.

Hobby Lobby is a good place to purchase motors. Take the Mrs and oldest child with you. Each of you gets a copy of that weeks 40% off coupon (available on the website) and takes 1 pack of motors to the check out... I see that they have one in Pueblo, several more along the I-25 corridor north of there.

When you get home and want to extract the parachute, after removing the motor casing, put it to your lips and give a good strong puff of air. Everything ejects just as it would in flight, no more damaged chutes.

Check on ebay for kits. Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack (unclemikesrocketshack.com) usually has a few specials running, and sometimes JonRocket (jonrocket.com) as well. Both of them sell directly and from ebay stores. Semroc is going out of business (Semroc.com) but they have a few kits remaining. Just look for skill level 1 kits for the children, and what ever you feel comfortable with for yourself. There are several other vendors/manufactuers but I have dealt directly with these and will highly recommend them.
For the snap together type kits I think you are limited to Estes.

I actually bought the Shuttle EX and my "E" launch controller from there lol :)
I used the 40% off through one check out stand, the wife used it in the other stand

Their engines are kind of expensive though, wish I could drive the 15 miles to Estes HQ and buy em direct lol

If you are building your own parachutes (perhaps building an older Estes rocket bought on Ebay, or from a TARC parts package), you may want to order your shroud lines so that none of them cross. Estes old instructions show them all crossing at the center. I found that this always makes the lines look jumbled to begin with. So, I pick one edge as the "bottom", and attach one line to both points on the bottom. The next line is attached to the "middle" points, and finally the last line is attached to the "top" points.

Then taking each line in turn, I attach them to my swivel, and finally give them a drop of white glue to lock them all in place. You don't want to use CA (super) glue to hold them as CA can/will get into the fibers and make them stiff and brittle. After a few times getting drops of CA on clothes, you'll learn not to wear your favorite Tee Shirts while building rockets.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

If you are building your own parachutes (perhaps building an older Estes rocket bought on Ebay, or from a TARC parts package), you may want to order your shroud lines so that none of them cross. Estes old instructions show them all crossing at the center. I found that this always makes the lines look jumbled to begin with. So, I pick one edge as the "bottom", and attach one line to both points on the bottom. The next line is attached to the "middle" points, and finally the last line is attached to the "top" points.

Then taking each line in turn, I attach them to my swivel, and finally give them a drop of white glue to lock them all in place. You don't want to use CA (super) glue to hold them as CA can/will get into the fibers and make them stiff and brittle. After a few times getting drops of CA on clothes, you'll learn not to wear your favorite Tee Shirts while building rockets.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Thanks Jim,

I kinda see what your saying.
May try building a custom chute pretty soon!
On the swivel, do you glue them kind of apart from each other or just all lumped together?

I just picked this up, should be here soon!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/221422788881

Thanks Jim,

I kinda see what your saying.
May try building a custom chute pretty soon!
On the swivel, do you glue them kind of apart from each other or just all lumped together?

Together. They'll look a little tangled, but not nearly as bad as the other way. For best results, try not to allow the swivel to twist between when you attach it to the separate lines.

Another thing; Estes for years has instructed people to build the parachute wrong!! Their way you end up with 1 pair of lines crossed and there's no way around it...

Attach the first shroud line as per instructions but here's where you deviate. Go to the next hole and tie the thread on then instead of going to the next loop cross the shroud line across the chute to the other side then attach the last line to the two hole ajacent to each other on the oppisite side from the first pair. You now have 3 loops hanging down in a line with no crossing. This works on 6 and 8 sided chutes. It makes me angry when I buy an expensive chute and the shroud lines are attached wrong. I cut the offending lines and re-attach them properly.

I have berated youtube instruction videos where they use the incorrect way, they give me a whiny answer about not "confusing" people like people are stupid and can not fathom the proper way to rig a chute. This IS rocket science and I "think" most of us "rocket scientists" can figure this stuff out, if not it's time to get a train...just sayin'...

Another thing; Estes for years has instructed people to build the parachute wrong!! Their way you end up with 1 pair of lines crossed and there's no way around it...

Attach the first shroud line as per instructions but here's where you deviate. Go to the next hole and tie the thread on then instead of going to the next loop cross the shroud line across the chute to the other side then attach the last line to the two hole ajacent to each other on the oppisite side from the first pair. You now have 3 loops hanging down in a line with no crossing. This works on 6 and 8 sided chutes. It makes me angry when I buy an expensive chute and the shroud lines are attached wrong. I cut the offending lines and re-attach them properly.

I have berated youtube instruction videos where they use the incorrect way, they give me a whiny answer about not "confusing" people like people are stupid and can not fathom the proper way to rig a chute. This IS rocket science and I "think" most of us "rocket scientists" can figure this stuff out, if not it's time to get a train...just sayin'...

This is actually how my chutes came Dave, the way you are saying to do it lol

Didnt need to tie the strings or anything.

As far as trucking rocket stuff to the launch site, I have one of THESE in my garage, and it does fit (by an inch or two) in the rear cargo hold of my Liberty, so if I were going to launch some place I knew I could not drive the car up near the launch site, I would pack it in there and at least theoretically I could load up my two big storage bins, folding chair and canopy, and trek cross-country with my magic wagon to the launch site. (It's even rugged enough you can sit on one side of it so it can serve as an impromptu fold-up bench too.)

garden-cart-lg.jpg

But in real life over the course of 10-12 years I think there have only been one or two times I have had to launch somewhere I could not back the SUV up within 25 feet of the launch areas, so usually the magic wagon stays home.

Either way, using the big plastic storage totes allows you to keep most of your stuff in one manageable "package" rather than carrying stuff over there piecemeal. I usually pack tackle boxes (cheap ones from BigLots) full of tools/supplies, another tackle box for motors/wadding, yet another one for the launch system/porta-pad, then I cover those boxes with a layer of foam rubber packing padding, then lay the rockets atop them (usually avoiding busted fins, etc).

While the totes are fairly bulky, they're usually pretty lightweight.

As you go along, you'll come up with your own system and your own combination of gear.

Last edited:
Back