Most hair-raising flight you ever witnessed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were you actually there at that launch?

No, I just researched a bunch of crashes and such to help educate me in what can go wrong and methods to prevent those accidents. Rocketry to me is very exciting, but my first goal is to protect the safety of all who is watching. This is why I decided to do dual deployment and motor eject with my HPR from now on and when I launch with plugged engines I will be using multiple power sources and altimeters.

OK, let me start by saying I have nothing against ROC and the launches I attended were in 1999 and 2000. For ROCstock and LDRS the crowds were huge, easily 500-800 people. The launches I attended had the crowd on the windward side of the field, so a lot of rockets were weather cocking over the crowd and landing behind the flight line. For whatever reason there were also a lot of rockets coming in ballistic. There were a few incidents that really scared the crap out of me.

What does ROC do that makes it more scary than any other rocket club launch?

No, I just researched a bunch of crashes and such to help educate me in what can go wrong and methods to prevent those accidents. Rocketry to me is very exciting, but my first goal is to protect the safety of all who is watching. This is why I decided to do dual deployment and motor eject with my HPR from now on and when I launch with plugged engines I will be using multiple power sources and altimeters.

This thread is about flights you witnessed first-hand.

For whatever reason there were also a lot of rockets coming in ballistic. There were a few incidents that really scared the crap out of me.

I think having a run in with a ballistic rocket, especially a HPR one, is a real eye opener for safety. We unfortunately had one at our club last year. It shook me up quite a bit, but it made me more conscious of my decisions and how it could affect others or even harm someone. Gratefully, our club has added a lot more safety precautions and changed some things for the better.

At XPRS last year, I was buying a motor at a dealer and I felt the shock wave of a rocket coming in ballistic. No warning, nothing. I looked around and I noticed people were just doing their thing. I think more people should stop and watch the launches until the range is cleared or all rockets have deployed chutes.

Yes, that was it. I was at the West end of the flight line. It arced over a lot more than it looked like in that video. Notice how many people were in the video?

103-0326_IMG_2_1.JPG

103-0360_IMG_2_1.JPG

Was this the V2 Crash you were talking about?:
[video=youtube_share;OEbHd78J0F0]https://youtu.be/OEbHd78J0F0[/video]

One "minor" mishap. A two stage rocket, fortunately LPR - cleared rod, turned 90 degrees to point into crowd, and second stage ignited. Front rows saw it coming and ducked. Another person further back in crowd didn't see it and got hit in the head with the upper stage. Fortunately he was wearing a hat which absorbed some of the force (the hat got cut) and no real serious injury.

More exciting - motor failure and the flaming dive
der_red_max_reentry.jpg

Team Vatsaas Saturn 23 feet tall
https://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/arsenal/teamrocs/saturnv/command_module.aspx
https://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/arsenal/teamrocs/saturnv/saturnv_flight1.aspx

I did not take this pic but was about 100 feet from where the booster crashed with the fire crew

saturnv_flight4.jpg

In putting on BALLS for many years I have seen many things of mightmares

M

Early 90s, Culpeper Virginia.

An infamous high-power flyer, "W.R.," had flown in. This guy who was rumored to have been in a car accident and gotten a head injury but in retrospect had what we'd call a "spectrum" disorder. He arrived with a large model which he'd cut apart so it could be carried as luggage and then been hastily reassembled. It was powered by a cluster of big motors, I or K perhaps.

Most vendors had become familiar with WR's reputation, and refused to sell him motors. But a private party was willing to; they sold him "iffy" motors, some of which had their aluminum cases dented.

The RSO allowed him to fly, but called a heads-up. I was on duty and walked around the perimeter and told people to stand up and get read to run.

Hah! It was a good call. One of the motors cracked its casing, and another cut loose from its moorings. The largest part of the mess fell not far from me. I could see into the split casing and the still-burning fuel grain. A little blue inferno. It wasn't HORRIBLY dry, but there were some fires to put out.

The multi-level certification system we have today was spurred, in part, by the participation in the hobby of guys like W.R. There were others, the ones responsible for high-powered models tearing to pieces or plummeting to earth. But I think poor incompetent W.R. was a catalyst.

I've only been in mid to high power rocketry for a year, and have never (knock on wood) seen anything like this! Just aircraft crashes, no rockets.

I could have mentioned the H rocket that landsharked past me at better than 100 MPH at El Dorado or when after a successful flight of the Gates Brothers Porthos at LDRS that year they brought it to Black Rock and had a massive failure of some sort. 2 M class motors kicked out and flew off in different directions and the rest of the rocket didn't fare that well...

My first G-Force, back when I was a fresh new BAR, came in ballistic. From my angle, it was heading right toward a group of non-rocketeers who were doing some dog training. While I stood there paralyzed and wide eyed, the RSO yelled heads-up warnings. It got their attention and they looked up.

The rocket disappeared behind a large berm. I knew on the other side of the berm was a parking lot that was typically busy.

I took off running, hoping that when I came around the end of the berm I'd find an empty lot, but thinking about what I would do if my rocket had come down on someone. When I rounded the berm, much to my relief, the parking lot was empty except for my crumpled rocket.

My wife said it was the fastest she'd ever seen me run.

LDRS 26 at Amarillo was really bad for hair-raising flights.

An F or G powered rocket went horizontally through the vendor area about 6 feet off the ground. It hit a trailer and dented it pretty good. My friend and I were walking through the vendor area when this rocket whizzed by. Real lucky it didn't hit somebody.

A 2 stage rocket took a hard right about 1,500 feet up. I don't remember exactly, but I think it hit the ground still burning not too far from camping/vendor area. I am thinking the second stage lit, but my memory is is fading of that flight.

A high power rocket didn't deploy and hit the corner of our canopy with no warning while we were under the canopy.

I was at the away cell tent at LDRS in Argonia when the big Delta I think it was came in ballistic. That was scary as it almost hit a couple of photographers. We couldn't see the rocket hit as there was a small hill between the away cell tent site and the crash site.

There was a team of University students that were launching for the USLI, They were building and learning at the same time.

They had the nose cone at the experimental payload and it was to deploy and do its own thing under chute,(pic 3) and the rest of the rocket "booster" was to deploy and come in under chute.

Well it did not go that way, it was march, cold and the ground was snow covered and frozen. It came in fast and hit hard amongst groups of TARC teams on the field.

As some of the old timers were trying to give the team a postmortem on what had caused the crash. The team captan just stared at the pile of blue tube confetti on the snow and just

kept repeating, "It came in so fast!",:jaw: "I came in sooo fast!":surprised::jaw:

I took a few minutes with him and tried to explain that it was ok, no one was hurt! Except the Rocket! The kid was really shaken by the speed and proximity of the impact to others.

A steely eyed missile man, he was NOT!

Long lenses and high shutter speed are so cool!
P3094112.JPGP3094106.jpgP3094105.jpgP3094106.jpgP3094109.JPG

A 2 stage rocket took a hard right about 1,500 feet up. I don't remember exactly, but I think it hit the ground still burning not too far from camping/vendor area. I am thinking the second stage lit, but my memory is is fading of that flight.

Yep, remember that too. That was scary. :y:

Early 90s, Culpeper Virginia.

An infamous high-power flyer, "W.R.," had flown in. This guy who was rumored to have been in a car accident and gotten a head injury but in retrospect had what we'd call a "spectrum" disorder. He arrived with a large model which he'd cut apart so it could be carried as luggage and then been hastily reassembled. It was powered by a cluster of big motors, I or K perhaps.

Most vendors had become familiar with WR's reputation, and refused to sell him motors. But a private party was willing to; they sold him "iffy" motors, some of which had their aluminum cases dented.

The RSO allowed him to fly, but called a heads-up. I was on duty and walked around the perimeter and told people to stand up and get read to run.

Hah! It was a good call. One of the motors cracked its casing, and another cut loose from its moorings. The largest part of the mess fell not far from me. I could see into the split casing and the still-burning fuel grain. A little blue inferno. It wasn't HORRIBLY dry, but there were some fires to put out.

The multi-level certification system we have today was spurred, in part, by the participation in the hobby of guys like W.R. There were others, the ones responsible for high-powered models tearing to pieces or plummeting to earth. But I think poor incompetent W.R. was a catalyst.

I remember that Danger W.R. flight. This was the same guy who decided to fly a K powered rocket in a park right next to a police station in the next town over from me. :jaw: I remember reading about it in the paper.

I was flying at a club with a wireless launch system that had a relay box very close to the pad with short leads to hook up your ignitor. I was launching a 75lb rocket on a very aggressive EX 10kns M3600. After getting the rocket armed, I bent down to arm the pad before retreating and the motor instantly came up to pressure. The blast/my instincts threw me backward on my ass and through the ringing in my ears I could hear a massive boom. A second into the burn, the motor CATO'ed over my head and rained parts all over the away cell. Once the sound of the launch hit the flight line, I was already laying on the ground, so I think everybody assumed I was dead. Everybody came running out with first aid kits, but luckily I was fine and so was everybody else out at the away cell. The relay in the box had become fused shut, so the pad was hot as soon as I flipped the arm switch on the box. I'm lucky the motor didn't CATO instantly or else I would be toast.

There was the ROC launch about a year ago when a USLI team testing their rocket had an early ejection (I think) which ripped the parachute, causing this big, heavy, ~6" fiberglass rocket to come down really fast (separated, but still vertically oriented). The nosecone bashed a lovely hole in the roof of a pickup truck, mere feet from a kid's head.

I was flying at a club with a wireless launch system that had a relay box very close to the pad with short leads to hook up your ignitor. I was launching a 75lb rocket on a very aggressive EX 10kns M3600. After getting the rocket armed, I bent down to arm the pad before retreating and the motor instantly came up to pressure. The blast/my instincts threw me backward on my ass and through the ringing in my ears I could hear a massive boom. A second into the burn, the motor CATO'ed over my head and rained parts all over the away cell. Once the sound of the launch hit the flight line, I was already laying on the ground, so I think everybody assumed I was dead. Everybody came running out with first aid kits, but luckily I was fine and so was everybody else out at the away cell. The relay in the box had become fused shut, so the pad was hot as soon as I flipped the arm switch on the box. I'm lucky the motor didn't CATO instantly or else I would be toast.

Forget the first aid kit. Just bring me some fresh undies.

That is a scary story!

Let's see. There was Francis Graham's K-powered monocopter a decade or two back. (OK! Get the kids into the car, Dear...) That behaved... pretty much as you would expect a K-powered monocopter to behave.

The most hair-raising flight for myself personally was during a NARAM-49 (?) G Superroc event. An 11-foot, broken, flaming rocket power-dived into the ground about two feet in front of me. It was so close, I stood there laughing out of near-death reflex. The range officer then publicly scolded me for laughing instead of putting the fire out! :blush: Fact is, I was so freaked I couldn't move.

When I first responded, I was only thinking about ballistic incidents...

When I was in my 20's I had a D12-0 w/C6-7 explode 4 feet from me. I couldn't find my launch controller (or pad), so I cut down an 8' wire that I had, and used bare battery contacts to ignite my Estes Magnum. That was a hairy experience, though not as much as having a 75lb rocket explode overhead... THarrison wins.

None like listed above but I did see one at one of our launches that came blazing about 100 feet over our heads and crashed in the middle of nowhere.

None like listed above but I did see one at one of our launches that came blazing about 100 feet over our heads and crashed in the middle of nowhere.

I remember that it was a pretty cool thing to see but pretty scary luckily nobody had to recover anything out that direction.

Back