The Easter Rocket War of Vrontados

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the pictures. I guess this is what you get when the youth unemployment rate is well over thirty percent in a bankrupt country. Lots of folks with plenty of time to make homemade, hand pressed black powder motors. The hand launched ones from the tubes are particularly abhorrent given our safety codes and practices. They must have many eyes poked out and massive fires every year. Such activity is not what we strive for in model rocketry and should not be imitated by our youth. These are true pyros with little regard for safety and having way too much fun. From what I have heard from other club members that actually attended the event in past years was that there was not one CATO and that everything goes smoothly. I bet they would be a whole lot more safety conscious if we sent over some of our highly certified motors with the date code 08 -18- 11 on them! :y: I have been getting used to at least one good Yankee CATO at all of our recent launches, SU BP and AP.:y: Electronic ignition is the only safe way to go. Dudes with flares launching off of old corrugated metal is so third world. Hit the church and ring the bell. Old battles over there never seem to die as this one has been going on for a long time. And what a mess afterwards! Where are the Federal Agents and strict regulatory oversight to keep these people safe from themselves? I guess that is why we are not yet officially bankrupt.

Last edited:
There was video of this on MSN earlier, looked real cool. Lit no fires that I saw and no one was injured. Kinda wanna see it, now ;)

I guess this is what you get when the youth unemployment rate is well over thirty percent in a bankrupt country.

Before launching into a rant, did you actually read any of the text?

Two rival parishes of Vrontados village fire thousands of rockets every Easter Saturday aiming at the opposing church's bell tower in a centuries-old tradition.

Hey Trojie. before launching your high horse of Wielding the Skillet of Harsh discipline, did you ACTUALLY read my post" "Old battles over there never seem to die as this one has been going on for a long time. And what a mess afterwards!" Read and think about my posts before flying of the handle of the Perilous Pans, otherwise the shine will dim on your grand title of Potentate. Love ya!:)

I read the post as very tongue-in-cheek. But then I love irony and have been burned a few times when someone took me seriously.

Safety is not always a concern when you are living in the non Model Rocketry World. I would gladly partake in those Festivities.

This Thread is not about "Model Rocketry", so "Safety Codes" have no relevence here.

Where does safety rules and regulations along with other no interest party's have to do with centurys old rituals? Let the games begin. I'm with Troj on this one.

Wow! Look at the LAST picture! All those flights and no mention of a CATO :grin:

Where does safety rules and regulations along with other no interest party's have to do with centurys old rituals? Let the games begin. I'm with Troj on this one.

LOL! You guys are both making me want to parse out line-by-line the irony in Daddyisabar's post. But to save time, maybe think about the kinds of rockets he flies and whether he really is a stickler for safety rules. Personally, I see him going to Greece and advising these guys to cluster some of these garage missiles. Or maybe I'm the one not getting it...

Personally, I think this tradition is awesome! I think I'm going to put together a bucket list of sketchy rocketry events to see worldwide --- this, that crazy rocketry festival in Thailand, and according to the "Most Hair-raising" thread, I can also add LDRS, ROC, and BALLS!

Old battles over there never seem to die as this one has been going on for a long time. And what a mess afterwards!

Nah, I totally whiffed on catching that line. :facepalm:

-Kevin (who's learning that eating pan doesn't taste so good....)

I read the post as very tongue-in-cheek. But then I love irony and have been burned a few times when someone took me seriously.

Yeah, bringing up hot button topics like the growing poor quality of materials and construction of US commercial SU motors, the quality of pyro black powder motors, along with Greek monetary and rocket safety policies. are all too much for run of the mill Care Bears. Just hate to see this sort of thing abroad and then watch as the first flight of a new member's beautiful Cosmodrome Black Brant has its hind end blown off by another defective Estes/AT SU composite motor. What do they know in Greece that we don’t?

WOW. After reading the above I think I have figured it out. The Greeks have time honored, Old World traditions and craftsmanship. Whereas we have the lowest cost per unit drop shipped just in time, thus achieving the highest margin possible. If one of their motors CATOs on the rack it is all over due to limited safety protocol, if one of our motors CATOs on the pad it is no big deal because we observe all safety precautions. Either way it is a lot of fun.

LOL! You guys are both making me want to parse out line-by-line the irony in Daddyisabar's post. But to save time, maybe think about the kinds of rockets he flies and whether he really is a stickler for safety rules. Personally, I see him going to Greece and advising these guys to cluster some of these garage missiles. Or maybe I'm the one not getting it...

That would be cool, the best of both worlds. Just make them clustered boost gliders with RC control that would assure nearly a 100% hit probability. Smart rockets, Brilliant rockets instead of thousands of dumb rockets.

In Greek mythology, this is EXACTLY why Zeus sentenced Prometheus to eternal torment.

You gave the idiot humans FIRE!?! What did you think they're going to do with it?

In Greek mythology, this is EXACTLY why Zeus sentenced Prometheus to eternal torment.

You gave the idiot humans FIRE!?! What did you think they're going to do with it?

Now that takes me back to Jr. High mythology class! Take a corrugated launcher and line up a bunch of E12's attached to sticks with the 08-18-11 date code. Get a flare and see if you are truly immortal!

Study them hard Mike. See how living on an island paradise and home made fire works can be a bad mix, As always, I trust you to keep us on the straight and narrow, safety manual in one hand and a gorgeous woman in the other.

There once was a time when rockets flew the skies of the island paradise. Until the the smoke became so thick that the old could not breath. Laws were passed and we are now smoke free. Too bad, it was fun watching the war.

Why would I waste a good hand on a safety manual if I had a gorgeous woman in the other? That hand would be busy.:cool:

There once was a time when rockets flew the skies of the island paradise. Until the the smoke became so thick that the old could not breath. Laws were passed and we are now smoke free. Too bad, it was fun watching the war.

Why would I waste a good hand on a safety manual if I had a gorgeous woman in the other? That hand would be busy.:cool:

That's right. I forgot you wouldn't need the safety manuals because you have committed all them to memory. You use the other hand to check the CG on all the Wee BAR's rockets and to point the accusatory finger when they get it wrong. You use the other hand to help put the kid's rockets on the rod and give them a high five for a job well done. You use the other hand to press the button on the big rockets on the away pads.

You will have to take a big one out to Ford Island and with a gentle breeze blowing South East you can use the Big Island as a landing spot.

Back