Where to buy key switches.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibuildstuff4u

Reaction score
Just as the title says, I'm looking for a good source for key switches that WONT allow you to remove the key when the switch is on.

All I can find are the ones that allow you to remove the key when turned on.

Thanks for the help!
Dale P.

McMaster

[h=3]Key Switch[/h]
[h=3]DPDT, Solder Lug, Key #A128A[/h]
7278k12p1l.png
Standard

Each

In stock
$14.10 Each

7278K14

When Switch Is
Center, Circuit IsOff or On
Right, Circuit IsOn or Off
Key Removal PositionsCenter
Number of Terminals6
Industry DesignationDPDT
Panel Cutout Diameter3/4"
Cylinder Length13/16"
ConnectionsSolder Lug
Includes Key NumberA128A
Additional SpecificationsSwitch Two Circuits
Standard—Two Position
Ensure security and prevent accidental actuation. Key switches have a threaded body and stay switched(maintained), unless noted. Include two keys and a hex nut for tightening the switch to a panel, unless noted.Standard—Made of die cast zinc. Switches with 6" wireleads, quick-disconnects, and solder lugs are rated 4amps @ 125 volts AC and 24 volts DC. UL recognized and CSA certified.Also Available: Replacement keys. Please select 7188K888 and specify the McMaster-Carr part number

That's what I'm looking for, the only trouble is I need several so the cost is a little high for this one. Any chance you have a link for some cheaper ones?

Thanks, Dale P.

I buy most of my electronic bits from jameco and these switches are about $5.50 each

https://www.mpja.com/04-22-14.asp?r=334835&s=15

[h=1]SPST-N.O. Fancy Key Switch Keyed # 1[/h]

[TD="width: 350"]
19370.jpg
[/TD]
[TD="class: prodinfocell, width: auto"]
[TR]
Item Number: 19370 SW
clear.gif
Unit Price: $3.95
clear.gif
Availibilty: In StockUnits: 54
Quantity
clear.gif

clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
0note.gif
Be the first to review this item

[/TD]
[/TR]

Detailed Description
clear.gif
ALCO SKF SPST key switch trated 4A @ 125VAC.
Screw terminals, key removable in OFF position only, All keyed alike. Two keys supplied. No threads, clip mounts in 45/64" Dia. Double "D" hole
ALL KEY #1
L: 2" Sq: 7/8" WT: .15

I seem to be late to the party but search Amazon for Honda Ignition Switch. They are a bit big, I think a 1" mounting hole and about 1.75" depth, but they are heavy duty and cost $7.15 with free shipping. They are wired with a NO and NC. You can't take the key out when it is on.

Mike

Just as the title says, I'm looking for a good source for key switches that WONT allow you to remove the key when the switch is on.

All I can find are the ones that allow you to remove the key when turned on.

Thanks for the help!
Dale P.

If you are using on an altimeter wouldn't you want a switch that key would only remove in the on position? I used to have a cheap source for small barrel key switches ( around 2.00 each ) and used them on my altimeter bays with remove before flight ribbons.

This is the "Ground Support" sub-forum, so the odds are this is for a launch controller (which usually stays on the ground) as opposed to an altimeter (which would be really useless if it stayed on the ground).

:wink:

If you are using on an altimeter wouldn't you want a switch that key would only remove in the on position? I used to have a cheap source for small barrel key switches ( around 2.00 each ) and used them on my altimeter bays with remove before flight ribbons.

This is the "Ground Support" sub-forum, so the odds are this is for a launch controller (which usually stays on the ground) as opposed to an altimeter (which would be really useless if it stayed on the ground).

:wink:

LOL! Did not even look to see what section it was in.

Yep, I'm buying them for launch controllers. My Jameco order came in and the key was removable in the on position even though the web site specs said it would NOT. I called them and had them returned, but they still haven't refunded my money after two weeks!!!! I ordered 10 of them so the total was around $70.00 so I will have to call them again on monday and see what's going on.

I ended up going with mono 1/8" jacks for the safety switches since they were easier and cheaper to buy, but I still want to order some key switches down the road and will have to take a look at all of the options again. Another issue I'm having it the key switch needs to fit in to a box that is only 1.1" thick and a lot of them are too long.

Thanks again for all the help, I will have to do some more searching and try to find one that works perfectly for my needs.

Dale P.

Yep, I'm buying them for launch controllers. My Jameco order came in and the key was removable in the on position even though the web site specs said it would NOT.
Cheap and easy solution - 1/4" phone jack with a shorted plug. Plug can easily be replaced if lost. Plug the end of the plug's backshell with RTV if water resistance is desired. Attach flag for drop visibility if desired. Not a key, but it's not like someone is going to go to the trouble of counterfeiting one to enable unauthorized launches.

My case is only 3/4" thick so if I go with a phono jack I will have to use a 1/8" mono plug. I will probably end up going with the phono jack, but I like the look of a key switch better so I'm going to give it one more try and see if I can find one that works. I really want to find this switch in the picture below, but so far I haven't found a source. It's hard to find a switch that fits in my box, and when I do find a small enough switch the key can be removed in the ON position so it won't work for my needs.
Does any one know where the switch in the picture came from?
Dale P.

yellowfront.jpg

I saw "CK" marked on the key when I blew up the photo, so I did a search on CK Switches and found this:

https://www.ck-components.com/p-series/switchlock,75868,en.html

That's their "P Series" which I think matches the look of your desired switch. The P Series datasheet:

https://www.ck-components.com/75866/pswitch_31aug10.pdf/

This may be it on Digikey:

https://www.digikey.com/product-sea...=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

If not, construct the exact part number of the switch using the guidance in their P Series datasheet. Actually, that would be the safest way to make sure you get the right switch, if it's available from Digikey or Mouser.

Back