Black powder booster to composite 2 stage?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d10srule

Reaction score
I was reading in another thread where it was possible to two stage black powder to composite. Does anyone know how its done with say an D12 to an Aerotech E18 or F24? Thanks for all responses!

I was reading in another thread where it was possible to two stage black powder to composite. Does anyone know how its done with say an D12 to an Aerotech E18 or F24? Thanks for all responses!

I think it was determined that the person who posted this had it backwards. I read an article discussing the ignition of black powder upper stage motors with a composite booster. That is possible, albeit unreliable as the tests showed. It's something I'd like to see tried in person though
Just to be clear-a black powder booster motor will not light an upper stage composite. There is no way for the flame to get up the nozzle throat, and all the way to the top grain and delay grain and get things going correctly.
Nate

Thanks nute. That may be what you want Jd cluster. I want fun and cool factor.

Last edited:
I have done BP to composite. Typically I was using 3 or 4 D12s to a F or G
I used thermalite fuse into the top of two of -0 motors and sheathed up into the composite upper stage motor.

I have done the opposite with the fuse being epoxied into the -0 composite motor. The -0 motors did not work well as designed, tended to be really -2 or 3 or would blow through. By drilling the delay to a real 0 and epoxying the fuse in with the epoxy all the way up to the end of the motor it would not blow through. The fuse is sheathed for near instant burn to the upper motor

Now you can buy good e-matches and electronics and the Thermalite is just a memory.
(But I know a guy with a roll of it)

Mark

Thanks nute. That may be what you want Jd cluster. I want fun and cool factor.
You can use the hot ejection BP charge gases from an APCP motor to ignite a BP motor by gap staging up to 12" or so, but the reverse process is not energetic enough to ignite an APCP motor.

You need either an electronic package with an electric igniter, or if you have an explosives license, Thermalite (if you can find it) or other energetic fuse material to ignite an upper stage APCP motor.

Bob

Thanks Winston. That is a great thread on YORF! Gotta try that, maybe with the delay grain drilled to try to get the ejection charge as close to zero as possible. Was it mentioned if they keep the red delay grain cap the same or if its modified or something? Thanks again. Great stuff!

Back