Minimum diameter 29mm motor body tubes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kencraw

Reaction score
Anyone know where one might be able to get a body tube designed to be used with a minimum diameter 29mm motor design? It's really surprising to me that Estes doesn't make one.

Wildmann has some Fiberglass and Fiber Carbon 29mm tubes

Estes 29mm tubing generally isn't strong enough for MD airframe-+2 on the above vendors. You may also try Balsa Machining Services (BMS)-great service, fast shipping and reasonable prices.

if you are going for altitude I would definitely use a paper tube that because of the large weight difference.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, the LOC body tube is what I'm looking for.

Tim Van Milligan does add this caveat to the LOC tubes. Might be relevant to you as with a minimum diameter design you may be putting a lot of stress on your airframe. You probably already read this, but for those following the thread that (like me) are not as experienced with mid and particularly high power engines....

Every tube material has its advantages and disadvantages. The good thing about the LOC tubes is that they are cheaper than other materials. This allows you to get your feet wet as you dip into the high-power rocketry pool. They are also easy to cut, shape, sand, glue, and paint.

The downside of kraft-paper tubes is that they aren't as strong as the newer materials like Blue Tube and Fiberglass Tubes. But it really depends on your project. If you are using some low-to-medium thrust motors, then paper is just fine. On the other hand, if you are planning on a minimum diameter rocket that will go supersonic, then you may want to switch to another type of tube. Another alternative is to put a layer of fiberglass cloth over the outer surface to get the necessary strength. This is probably cheaper than the exotic materials too.
copied from:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Body_Tubes/High_Power_Tubes/29mm_LOC_Body_Tube

I have flown to Mach 1 with paper tubes. The aspire can track Mach 1 without shredding built stock. The tubes on the aspire are even thinner then loc tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have flown to Mach 1 with paper tubes. The aspire can track Mach 1 without shredding built stock. The tubes on the aspire are even thinner then loc tubes.

Thanks, I am glad somebody with more experience than me is posting here. Good info

Thanks, I am glad somebody with more experience than me is posting here. Good info

No problem. It's a good thing to know nowadays where most people over build all of their rockets myself included.

Blue Tube is a great option as well and is a lot cheaper than fiberglass. Stronger than LOC tubes by a fair bit.

Get a standard BT-55 tube from BMS, a length of coupler stock, and a 29mm motor mount. They fit nicely inside one another. Run the coupler stock up the length of the rocket to strengthen it, up to the nose cone shoulder. You'll have to friction-fit your motor into the mount, but it makes a very light and surprisingly strong MD 29mm rocket. I've flown this on a G80 with basswood fins, epoxied on with JB Weld. You'll probably want to use a long streamer instead of a chute, because it's going to go out of sight in a blink.

#110 Cardstock Paper wrapped onto a LOC MMT makes for an extremely stiff BT. I'm working on a 29mm Crossfire Upscale that I'm using this method for. Very cheap, very solid.

Loc tubing is fine. I use it in all my 29mm minimum diameter rocket builds. If ya want added strentgh and overbuild your rocket, just glass it with 3/4 oz cloth and Aeropoxy resin. you'll be fine.

Back