Need Finishing Advice (Tips) for an Interrogator G

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeotherm

Reaction score
My daughter and I have been working on a Sirius Interrogator G together over the winter, and we're finally done the construction and are looking to finish it off. I am hoping I can get some good tips on things finishing related. I've never built a rocket that used plywood (as opposed to balsa) so I am wondering if using diluted wood filler works as well?

Also, the Interrogator has the "spine" for lack of a better term down its back. The dowel that I had was slightly warped (I should have gone and simply bought a straight one, but I went through with what was at hand that day) so it's left a bit of a larger gap on one side as opposed to the other. What would people recommend to fill this?

Thanks for any advice people can offer up :)

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

I built the Interrogator-G a few years ago.. I also used Elmers CWF as a filler. BTW the dowels on the wings and near the motor may look cool but they will break off if your Interrogator lands on any hard surface. Mine did and I finally gave up re-glueing them back on.

Jim

With plywood you really don't need any fillers. I'm sure CWF wouldn't hurt much. Just sand it well. As far as the gap you can use finishing epoxy to fill it or epoxy clay, which would be my first choice. Use a putty / bondo spreader and level it off and sand when dry

With plywood you really don't need any fillers. I'm sure CWF wouldn't hurt much. Just sand it well. As far as the gap you can use finishing epoxy to fill it or epoxy clay, which would be my first choice. Use a putty / bondo spreader and level it off and sand when dry

Yup. I just used primer - took three coats with sanding in between to fill it all in. I'd throw a bead of five min. epoxy into your gap. No shrinkage, one and done. This is a great model, I built one about four years ago - I really should get it into the air one of these days.

Yup. I just used primer - took three coats with sanding in between to fill it all in. I'd throw a bead of five min. epoxy into your gap. No shrinkage, one and done. This is a great model, I built one about four years ago - I really should get it into the air one of these days.

Yeah I was thinking about getting one too. Any pros and cons to it. For $115 I'd like to make sure it's worth it.

Yeah I was thinking about getting one too. Any pros and cons to it. For $115 I'd like to make sure it's worth it.

Parts are top quality, instructions are fantastic, build is pretty easy. The decal set is INSANE, brace yourself for that. If I remember correctly, it was four full 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.

Pros:
1) A complete kit...nothing extra to buy. I did add a nomex protector to mine
2) All the parts are high quality. LOC style airframe, laser cut plywood fins
3) Decals
4) Lots and lots of decals
5) Did I mention decals?
6) Wow factor at launches
7) A great rocket for L1

Cons:
1) Yeah it is pricey, but Sirius does have it on sale once in awhile. I got mine for $99. If you are in the "elite" club and Apogee you can use your discount points for this.

2) For me it is the squirreliest of all my rockets. The instructions highly recommend adding nose weight. Still mine tends to cork screw around the nose on the way up. Still safe however. I am not sure if it is the asymmetrical fins/wings or something else.

3) As I mentioned before the dowels won't last long

That is all I can think of.

Here is a picture of mine. It's not really flying sideways, but I like this composition!
Int-G-5.jpg

I built the smaller 18mm Interrogator on my build blog.
I filled the gaps in the spine with Elmer's Carpenters Wood Filler with good results.
Good to know! Thanks. One (probably dumb question), but did you (should I) thin the CWF for filling these large gaps, or just use it out of the tube/tub?

I waffled wondering the same thing, but eventually just said F*&^ it, and went and bought it. I can say that I haven't regretted that decision one bit (and I haven't even flown it yet :D) The parts are absolutely top-notch, the directions are clear (which I appreciated as this is the biggest rocket I've ever built, I am hoping to use it to get my L1 cert later this summer.) and it all went together with minimal fuss. Made a great project to do with my daughter.

2) For me it is the squirreliest of all my rockets. The instructions highly recommend adding nose weight. Still mine tends to cork screw around the nose on the way up. Still safe however. I am not sure if it is the asymmetrical fins/wings or something else.
Is there a good way to add nose weight after the build is completed?

You can always add nose weight. Measure and weigh out the correct amount of weight with BB's. If you have a scale it makes it much easier. Then use some 30 minute epoxy and mix it with the BB's and pour down down into the nose. Let it set up for a few hours.

Back