Smallest form factor battery for the RRC3 altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomSmith58

Reaction score
Folks,
I am going for a minimum diameter minimum weight 38mm rocket. I have the RRC3 altimeter. Unfortunately the recommended 9v battery doesn't fit well in a 38mm nosecone. Also unfortunate, the Missileworks webstore is down till May. I know they have a small form factor LiPo batter. I believe it is 3.7v. Does anyone have a drawing or dimensions of this thing as well as a description of the connector type?

Thanks
Tom

The smallest battery on that web page I could find was 3.7v and 130 mAh. Is that too small?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The 180 is in a 38mm Black Hawk with a RRC3. I have tested the 120 with the RRC3, but have not flown with it as I did not need the weight savings.

Last edited:
According to this comment from an RRC3 Beta tester, it has worked:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...people-using-for-the-RRC3&p=614146#post614146

The Raven battery is a 10C 1S 130 mAh battery.

The RRC3 is spec'd to work down to 3.5V, so a 1S LiPo at 3.7V nominal should work; however, there isn' t much margin when the battery is closer to the end of discharge and the voltage drops further during high current during pyro events. If you do use a 1S cell, I would be sure it is fully charged before each flight.

Recommend you talk to Jim at Missile Works. He is recommending this battery for the RRC2+ and RRC3; the same battery as spec'd in the 3D printed sleds. I am sure more than a few lipo batteries will work, but some may be better than others, long term.

I've used down to 40mAh batteries in bench testing some altimeters. If you are trying to push performance you will have to do a little testing on your own to verify your setup.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/731
would be a good choice as well once they are back in stock. I would advise doing a bench test with a 1hr+
"on" time before flying in a rocket.

Back