38mm MD deployment bag: Is there such a thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomSmith58

Reaction score
Folks,
I am seeing deployment bags on down to 3". I want to try a burrito style dual deployment with a 38mm diameter rocket. Fruity Chutes has a spot on their website that declares they will do a custom bag. however I can't help thinking there is a simpler way for a small rocket like 38mm.

How would you do it?

Thanks
Tom

I use a pouch (vs a bag) below 3". It is a "half bag" that wraps around chute completely but is tied to shock cord near payload opening versus being pulled off by a pilot chute. Don't readily have a picture, but it has worked well for me on small airframes.

Who sells one? How are they called by the manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Who sells one? How are they called by the manufacturer?

Sorry, this is something I designed and make myself. Smaller, more efficient than a blanket, kinda like a Nomex piston.

Can you sketch it? Or maybe place it on your scanner and scan it? I can reverse engineer a scan.

So similarly I am waiting on the arrival of the last few bits for my 54mm and 38mm diameter rockets, like you I will be looking to dual deploy in a burrito style, but my understanding of that method is that you 'burrito' the chute in an oversized sheet of nomex then tie with the cable cutter. This is how I plan on doing it, and I can't imagine that a bag will be any better.

Can you sketch it? Or maybe place it on your scanner and scan it? I can reverse engineer a scan.

In the first post of this thread in the picture top, left are four of the deployment pouches for 38mm and, top right, two for 54mm. Farther down in the thread is a link to instructions I use when building a deployment bag. The pouches are made the same way without the cord loop inside the bag or the bands eternal to the bag to dress the chute lines/shock cord.

EDIT: Actually, now looking at the instructions, no, they are not applicable to the way I now make the pouches. I will have to put an instruction sheet together.

Last edited:
So similarly I am waiting on the arrival of the last few bits for my 54mm and 38mm diameter rockets, like you I will be looking to dual deploy in a burrito style, but my understanding of that method is that you 'burrito' the chute in an oversized sheet of nomex then tie with the cable cutter. This is how I plan on doing it, and I can't imagine that a bag will be any better.

I understood the OP was looking for suggested alternatives to the cable cutter. If you only have one compartment in the rocket, then yes, by all means use the cable cutter. The deployment pouch that I was recommending is for normal two-compartment dual deploy in tight spaces.

Dixon
A bag and cable cutter are what I am looking for. Archetype Rocketry makes the cutter I am thinking of.
Tom

Dixon
A bag and cable cutter are what I am looking for. Archetype Rocketry makes the cutter I am thinking of.
Tom

The cable cutter is really designed for a burrito-wraped shield and should work. IMO, bag deployment in a single compartment is best done by tether devices, i.e., ARRD, Defy Gravity, Tender Descender, etc.

I just want to get a consistent but minimum set of hardware for my design. I am looking for a sensible minimum weight minimum parts design.

I just want to get a consistent but minimum set of hardware for my design. I am looking for a sensible minimum weight minimum parts design.

If you want minimum weight and less complexity then don't add the cable cutter and use a smaller, more efficient Nomex shield, i.e., the pouch.

How does that work with one compartment?

How does that work with one compartment?

It doesn't. As I said if you have one compartment then the cable cutter is more appropriate. Now that you are saying it isn't standard dual deploy, then safer to use cable cutter. You can use a cable cutter or tether with a full bag w/pilot chute held shut/secured until main alt. I do this on larger rockets, but probably don't have room here.

Back