Personal Launch Report QCRS launch 4-19-14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrwjr

Reaction score
I made the trek out to QCRS yesterday. While it’s a 3 hour drive each way it was a wonderful weather day with nice dry wide open fields.
When we arrived at the field the winds were blowing a bit more than I was expecting 12 to 14 MPH. Since I was expecting to try to launch my first flight over 10,000 feet, I decided I would look to see how winds would be impacting recovery.

I decided to start with a reliable flying rocket for me- yep you guessed it the Formula 75. My son and I loaded it up with an I180 skid. It was a picture perfect flight to 2460 feet and a walk just over a ¼ mile each way.

IMG_0838-copy.jpg

Next up was the rocket I had used for my L2 Certification. The Mizz Rhonda by Baddazz Rocketry. This is one of my favorite looking rockets as it has killer vinyl from Mark at Stickershock. My son wanted us to air it out a bit so we decided on a K454 skid mark. The rocket roared off the pad and I was able to get a decent photo as it cleared the pad. It was one of the flights where it seems like an eternity and just as I was about to start getting nervous the rocket came into view and as it hit 700 feet the main popped out. It reached a top speed of 630 MPH and achieved 8,113 feet of altitude. We had a short walk to go and recover it and my son was eager to carry it back to our set up area.

IMG_0845 copy.jpg IMG_0846 copy.jpg IMG_0848 copy.jpg

My next flight was the Competitor 3 by Wildman Hobbies. I had bought this motor last year at MWP and I hadn’t flown it yet. With the winds up high being somewhat calm, it seemed like the perfect day to fly it. After prepping the AV bay and the shock cords it was time to load the motor into its case. The motor chosen was the K300. A XL6 grain 54mm beauty. With the motor loaded it was time to head to the pad. A quick power up of the Altimeter and installation of the igniter into the nozzle and it was time to stand back and wait for the countdown.
As the motor lit and left the pad it was just the start of almost a full 9 seconds of thrust. What an awesome sight as it raced upward. This flight was my personal best altitude of 12,016 feet. With that long burn motor and a decent camera you can click a number of pics. I only posted a few of them. Soon the rocket was out of sight and the wait for it to re-appear.
The only thing better than the flight was experiencing it with my son, he wanted to try to find it with our tracker and we found it about ¾ of a mile away. I’m not sure who was more excited him or me.

IMG_0865 copy.jpg IMG_0866 Copy.jpg IMG_0867 Copy.jpg

IMG_0868 copy.jpg IMG_0872 Copy.jpg IMG_0873 Copy.jpg

Facebook.jpg

I was wondering where you saw Adrian! Don't wear yourself out now, gonna be a long year! See ya Wednesday.

Great job Russ!:D Had too miss this one....great you could share those moments with your son!;)
Catch you guys soon....got something EVIL planned for Sunday on Memorial Day...see you then!:surprised:

Please DO tell!

:pop:

It's a toss up between Scooter and, Red Dog going up on something *sparky* and, then really fast....like going *plaid* fast.

OR.

That little "Trash Can" rocket with the nose modified to allow a CTI 98mm 6XL case through it on a BIG "N"...(My Avatar thingy.)

Time will tell.:rolleyes:

Back