OAMC's Spring Buckeye Blast May 3 & 4 2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeG

Reaction score
May 3rd and 4th at Wildman Farm at 8345 S. Charleston Pike, South Charleston, Ohio 45368.

Ohio Aerospace Modeling Consortium (OAMC) is an independently insured organization.

Low, Mid, High Power, and Research welcome. NAR and TRA members may fly at their current cert levels. Must be TRA L2 to fly research.

10,000 ft msl waiver with 18,000 ft call ins.

There will be a night launch on Saturday but it is not waivered so everything will need to be low or mid power.

Information links below:

https://www.ohioaerospace.net/BB_2014.php

https://www.ohioaerospace.net/oamcforum/index.php?board=12.0

If you are using maps on your phone or computer DO NOT use SR 41 as the address as listed on the web site. It will get you close but not right there. GPS seems less accurate with that address as well.
Please use 8345 S. Charleston Pike, South Charleston, Ohio, 45368, and it will take you right to the entrance in most cases.

If you are planning a certification flight please contact us ahead of time and take time to familiarize yourself with our certification flight procedures on the website.

https://ohioaerospace.net/docs/Ohio_Aero_Modeling_Consortium_Certification_Rules.pdf

Thanks,

No replies yet:confused: Well, i'm looking forward to the trip on Saturday!:D Just bringing a couple of small "J" motors.....Be good to see you and, Lee again (I think its been about 8 years since we directly talked....)
Would have made the last launch but, the wind Sunday was killer.

Thanks again for the information on the route in, see you Saturday!;)

I just wish some Midwest club had a launch on 5/17! That is my only free weekend in the foreseeable future. :(

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I'll be there Sunday! Wish it wasn't the last launch til November though :( The weather doesn't look all that great at the moment for Saturday so hopefully you guys can fly. I'm not able to fly much, but here is what's planned...

Paper plate saucer on a G.
Eagle Claw on an L1300.
A small 3in rocket on a Loki H90 or H100
Possibly my Fire B on a 38/720 J(not sure if I'll have the funds in time)
My brothers have like 10 low/mid power rockets they will be flying too.

Should be a good time.

Gus, Look forward to seeing you.

Tim, We had planned on adding some events before our deadline. I will talk to the board and see if that is an option. Our waiver can be activated on any weekend (or any day for that matter) and we have talked about scheduling additional events since the weather has been so crappy this year. We have had to scrub a few lanch days. Stay tuned my friend.

R. Nut, See the response to Tim. Looking forward to seeing you as well!

Found out Dave Porter is going to take the big step and, try his L3 on Saturday everyone!

I should be there about 10am Dave...Don't touch anything till i get there...Your going to get it *this time* for sure!

I'll bring a BIG roll of duct tape.;)

My day started at 4:45am Saturday morning and, will end sometime around 1:30am this morning.
I will write up something/post a video a little later when i'm a little more coherent. :p
The two things i would like to point out are.

1. Dave Porter is now TRA's newest L-3! :D
2. I'm still covered in mud, blood and, i think i $#!% myself...Was that a good day:confused: I'm still breathing, must have been...;)

With original plans to attend a racing event this weekend, i was able to secure a *rare* night off from work on Friday. When i looked at the calender i saw that not only were we able to make this event but, possibly help another good friend David Porter achieve his TRA L-3 certification while doing so. Phone calls/emails helped set everything up and, an early morning wake up call at 4:45 am got the ball rolling. By 6am i had "The Dad Critter" sitting next to me and, we pointed *Rusty the Rocket Retriever* eastbound. Our first stop at Bob Evans in Richmond Indiana set the pace for the day. :D Our greeter/hostess was a tall, skinny redheaded young lady...Wah, wah, waaaah! I almost forgot about my pail of gravy and, plate of biscuits. :p

We arrived at the field at 10am and, quickly set up our camp for the day. One thing we noticed immediately was the great interest by the club in the *new peoples* amongst them. It didn't take long for names/faces to start filling in the gaps and, with that we began prepping Red Dog (The Wildman Extreme Sustainer for my Two-Stagger) for a quick squirt up on a CTI L-3200 Vmax. With David still not there, we headed out to the away cell and, let her eat 7944' of sky! :D I HAVE GOT to get some MORE of these motors for my smaller stuff! ;)

Here is a link to my humble You-Tube Experiment: https://youtu.be/UGRis9Yo9ho

Disclaimer *The Safety aspects of the OAMC in running their event were top-notch from every angle that i saw. I'm the one who angled the rocket and, the fact that it skirtted a rather TALL fluffy cloud on its way up do not reflect any misuse....The sky was thoroughly checked before the button was pushed and, if ANYONE needs too complain (because of small genitalia) direct the comments to Me, not them...THANK-YOU. :no:

With David and, a small group of his friends now at the field, we started prepping his Wildman Extreme for a flight on the CTI M-1230 Imax in hope that today was the day! By about 5pm we headed out to the away cell and, propped it up. Best wishes/photos and, a Hail Mary or two and, it was off like a Prom Dress!:surprised:
With both of our Trackers on board, it was quickly found! About 30' up a dead tree...First thoughts were to go back and, get the unburned M i had and, strap it too my back.
We drew straws and, i got the short end of the stick.
You have not lived till your 25' up a tree when someone pulls the shock cord and, you move several feet this way....and, that a way....then that way.
With some minor cuts in the parachute and, the fact that i had to cut the shock cord in two places...we got her out! She's coming home.
After a look over/signing off by Joe Grubb, it was determined to be successful. YES!

Welcome too the Club Dave!:wave:

View attachment 171121

With daylight slowly waning we packed everything up and, settled in for an EXCELLENT free Chicken Dinner provided by the club for all in attendance! We thanked everyone for their great help and, hospitality and, pointed *Rusty* westbound...:sigh: By 1:30am i was home/freshly washed down and, heading to bed. I would really liked to have come back today but, "older age" is settling in and, i promise to bring back something too impress next time on more notice.

One thing i want too mention, is that even though my Dad is just a keen observer and, i really enjoy these moments that we spend together (because i don't know how many more we will be able to do.) Lies in the way we critique what we've seen when we go somewhere new.
Not a single bad word was said the whole way home...

We really enjoyed the way that this club puts on their events, the equipment and, the people for all that they did too make us feel at home in their backyard! People are just NEW friends that i will meet today or tomorrow, where ever i may go. A special thanks to: Joe Grubb, Lee Berry, Gary Dickinson, the Goad *twins* and, especially Tricia for ALL her help yesterday....just too name a few.:D

Thank-you...;)

Last edited:
Gus,

Thanks for making the trek to our field. I appreciate the kind words. The crew here is good and willing to do damn near anything to help regulars & guests to have a successful flight and a good time.

We try like crazy to put on a great launch and we are getting better at it. Next up is a GIANT wall to block the winds and we are gong to look at draining that swamp that you and Dave Porter seem to have an affinity for. :wink: We have come a long way in a few years and still have a ways to go, but OAMC will get there. The landowners like us and we want to be sure that we keep them happy.

Dave: congrats on that L3. That was one sweet flight!

Come on back and bring a crowd. We can easily handle N motors and possibly an O if you talk nice to us.

Regards,

What Gary said!! 

First of all, congratulations to Dave for his successful L3 flight. It was picture perfect. Well, other than the tree thing. But most of us didn’t see that anyway. It was a great flight. Never did hear the altitude though.

Thanks for the kind words Gus. Glad you made it. It’s nice to get a critique from someone outside the club. We can become lax in areas and sometimes we can’t see it unless it is viewed from a different perspective. We focus on safety first but try to make fun a very close second. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I know that you and Dave and I have been to several larger launches together like LDRS and MWP but sometimes we get so involved in prepping our own stuff we don’t make a lot of connections with others. Good to spend some time with you guys and I will be more able to connect the names and faces in the future. I look forward to coming to your “place” and launching a few myself.

Rocketry Nut showed up on Sunday and he and his brothers just kept going like the energizer bunny at the low and mid power pads. They didn’t stop until we closed the range. Thanks for coming guys.

On Saturday I swear I saw Toto fly past at about fifty feet high while we were loading the away cell. I began to think maybe we were in Kansas. It was just a bit windy.

Sunday was a little better wind wise early on but still pretty breezy. That didn’t seem to dampen anyone’s spirit or determination and we got several K through N flights in before noon. Still some walking involved but not a bad day.

Dave's "newest L3 certified member" status was short lived as Jim Rosmarin turned in a great flight on Sunday and gained his L3 as well. Congrats Jim. Nice flight.

Our Wilson F/X launch system assured that the line, when there was one, moved steadily along without any equipment delays. Every club should have one of these systems. We are going on our third year and have no complaints.

Thanks to everyone who came to launch with us near and far. I want to especially thank the OAMC members who helped set up, tear down, and did the jobs in between that often go unnoticed to make the launch happen. You know who you are. We can’t do this without you.

We'd love to have you out. Bring BIG motors.....

Ahhhh....Timmy just fly's that *Little Stuff* :p phhhhhtttt........Now that i've had a chance to inspect the "Shutdown Area" i may have to bring a boatload of "M's", "N's" and, possibly an "O" IN THIS.....but, its got a little more tweaking to tweak on.

View attachment 171235

(It's already flown on (2) N's, it just bounces when it hits the ground....Think i've got the fix for that....:rolleyes:)

What Gary said!! 

First of all, congratulations to Dave for his successful L3 flight. It was picture perfect. Well, other than the tree thing. But most of us didn’t see that anyway. It was a great flight. Never did hear the altitude though.

Rocketry Nut showed up on Sunday and he and his brothers just kept going like the energizer bunny at the low and mid power pads. They didn’t stop until we closed the range. Thanks for coming guys.

Dave's "newest L3 certified member" status was short lived as Jim Rosmarin turned in a great flight on Sunday and gained his L3 as well. Congrats Jim. Nice flight.

Our Wilson F/X launch system assured that the line, when there was one, moved steadily along without any equipment delays. Every club should have one of these systems. We are going on our third year and have no complaints.

1. 12,280' which would have much higher if we hadn't put some *Kentucky Windage* into the stand to counteract the *windage*. :D
2. Not meeting Rocketry Nut kind of hurt...Since i do most of my flying on Sundays, i'm sure we will meet someday down the road! ;)
3. Congratulations to Jim Rosmarin too for a successful L-3 certification!:wave:
4. When you combine the mind of Dan Fox and, the enthusiasm of Brad "The Rocket Rev." Wilson...Your getting the best launch system available ANYWHERE at ANYPRICE.
Heck i snuck up on Dan at Thunderstruck this year and, he gave me a *pulled out of my own shoes* hug to say hi! :surprised:

BONUS: Big Manly Hugs for customers included!

*The only reason i had that constipated look on my face Dan, was that when you did that....both my knees went *pop*....All is forgiven!*;)

As stated before, it was very windy all day Sunday, but we still managed to get some great flights in. My friend with his son came to their first launch ever and not only saw up through M fly, but also got 7 low power flights in themselves in less than 3hrs. Even my dad came out which was cool. Thanks to all the club members who helped make this a great launch and we can't wait to be back out there in the Fall. Thanks again Gary and Steve for lending me the tracker and snap ring pliers!

Gus, sorry we couldn't meet as well, but I'm sure there are upcoming launches that we'll both be at(LDRS or MWP???)

Here is what I took....

Joe Grubb's Cherokee K on a K550 testing the winds first thing in the morning.

Hyperloc on a K700

Steve Temple thought he had an AMW N2020WW loaded up, but after the button was pushed it came out differently. I'm guessing this was an M1730 instead? Always nice to see a real AMW skid :cool2:

Gary Dickinson's very cool EX 4 grain L. This was the highest flight of the day(over 11k) and probably the longest recovery(2 1/4 miles away).

My brothers made quite a few flights themselves. Here are a couple...

A green EX J.

Jim's awesome L3 flight. Congrats!

The rain was coming, but the clouds were still high enough to fly my Eagle Claw. The L1300 lit and off it went. Love that motor :cool: The winds kept it under what I was hoping for, but still got 6924'.

A group project with my brother. The Crazy 8 flying on my first Loki motor, the H90. A nice low flight to 952'

The youngest bro bought a pack of E20s and stuffed one in his Estes Rock-it for our last flight. He also won the junior NAR membership which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photos. The first one (K550) is my upscale Cherokee K. You can see the very short vertical followed by the immediate turn into the wind. Those are some large fins.

+1 to Joe's comments!

The research L was in a Loki case and a piece of cake to clean. Thanks Scott for fabulous liners and great hardware!

Gus, sorry we couldn't meet as well, but I'm sure there are upcoming launches that we'll both be at(LDRS or MWP???)

Here is what I took....

Nice photos Dude! :D Yep, probably meet you at MWP unless you plan to be in Kansas around Labor Day...

Gotta pile (about 10 rockets) too start working on this summer...Would like to have some done by Kansas.

Got some real evil plans for MWP this year. Even made Wildman go *#$@%, oh my gosh Dude....keep it under my waiver...!* Time will tell...

Nice photos Dude! :D Yep, probably meet you at MWP unless you plan to be in Kansas around Labor Day...

Gotta pile (about 10 rockets) too start working on this summer...Would like to have some done by Kansas.

Got some real evil plans for MWP this year. Even made Wildman go *#$@%, oh my gosh Dude....keep it under my waiver...!* Time will tell...

Thanks. I'm assuming you're talking about Airfest? I won't be attending that since I'll be jumping out of airplanes all of that weekend. MWP will work however. Look forward to seeing whatever this crazy idea is :grin:

Was a great weekend in spite of the wind (although my hundreds of sims at various wind speeds and launch angles took a beating). Nevertheless, my successful L3 flight was exhilarating. Recovery, however, was an "adventure in HPR" almost to life and limb. I'm pulling on the shock cord so Gus can get it close enough to cut it while Gus is perched in an half dead tree 15' up, holding on to a large branch with one hand, maintaining his balance, and slashing with his knife at the shock cord with the other hand as I pull it closer to him. Gus is a real "Crocodile Dundee".

It was a great 2 days. I must add my thanks to Joe Grubb, Gary Dickinson, the lovely lady who handled the waivers, money and food (I'm sorry I can remember her name) and the entire group hosting the event. I had been a member of Torc 703 when I lived in Columbus (2011-2012). It was good to see Steve and Lee again. A group effort and well done.

BTW Gus and I are "tree huggers"

Dave Porter
TRA# 12341 L3

I'm pulling on the shock cord so Gus can get it close enough to cut it while Gus is perched in an half dead tree 15' up, holding on to a large branch with one hand, maintaining his balance, and slashing with his knife at the shock cord with the other hand as I pull it closer to him.

For some reason, as I read this, thoughts of Wile E. Coyote and that big slingshot came to mind.

I like to listen and watch people. These are the kinds of stories you hear at launches and they make the hobby real for me. Go out and launch rocket after rocket and pick them up out of the field......boring. I went 486,000 feet and picked it up only 50 feet from the pad. Blah, blah, blah. But, when you add a little action tied to some embarrassment ....now you've got a story that everyone listens to. :wink:

Joe, its even *more* livid when your in the tree...knowing that it is dead timber...and, it goes this a way, that a way, over there a ways...:surprised:

Back