Q2G2, J-Tek type igniters or e match, pyrodex, what's the difference?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with igniters and have built several rockets of the winter months incorporating ARRD and Peregrine CO2 technologies. The ARRD instructions call for the use of "e match, pyrodex" and the CO2 ejection canister calls for either Q2G2 or J-Tek type igniters.

Are these all different technologies, are some just generic terms and in the case of the peregrine which one would be considered a more reliable option.

Links to web stores would be helpful, keeping in mind I am located in Canada which may be an issue when shipping some of these items?

Pyrodex is a Black Powder Substitute, like you find in most Gun Stores for Muzzleloaders.
Q2G2 is an Ignitor made by Quest.

The ARRD instructions call for the use of "e match, pyrodex" and the CO2 ejection canister calls for either Q2G2 or J-Tek type igniters.

Links to web stores would be helpful, keeping in mind I am located in Canada which may be an issue when shipping some of these items?

I have used Q2G2 igniters in many of my dual deploy rockets, but they have been out of production for many months and are hard to find. J-Tek igniters are e-matches much like the lighters that come with CTI reloads.
I recently bought lighters from Crazy Jim here on the forum and have found them to be 100% reliable and effective lighting the 4f black powder used in ejection charges. They are much like J-Tek igniters but less expensive.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-dual-deploy-ya-need-these&highlight=lighters

CJ is also a great vendor that ships fast and you will get what you ordered.

Back