More paint problems... Rusto's Gloss White looks more like sandpaper...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know why, but today my Rusto Gloss White kept spitting out blobs of paint, rather than a smooth finish... It was a little cool today (shirtsleeve weather), and humidity was high.

My Eggspress build will need to dry, and then be completely sanded down to grey primer again, and redone... :eyeroll:

This is frustrating... What I have found is that going back and over spraying the spit/blob areas is enough to allow the paint to dry and even out. After 24 hour dry time the splatters are no longer there.

Last edited:
I've had that problem when I've used a 2x can that'd been used before. It just seemed to mess up part way though the paint job. The splatter did seem to level out somewhat, so it was not awful, but definitely not smooth. Coincidentally, mine was a white can too. This was about a year ago.

I've had it happen with Rusto fluorescents, but not with the 2x gloss. Recently I've been warming my spray cans in a bucket of hot water from the tap, and it seems to work really well. The heat changes the viscosity of the paint and the pressure of the can. The paint atomizes well and self-levels nicely. Just get a bucket of hot water and let the can soak for 10 minutes or so. Then shake and spray as usual.

I've had this happen a few times, only with the Rusto 2X gloss white.
If you are spraying and the "hiss" starts to sound different it's probably spitting out the rough stuff.

Luckily, the rough paint sands down easily.
I return the bad cans to Home Depot for exchange.

This is frustrating... What I have found is that going back and over spraying the spit/blob areas is enough to allow the paint to dry and even out. After 24 hour dry time the splatters are no longer there.

+1

I noticed that cans tend to spit more often when they are almost empty, so if a perfect finish is what you desire, it's best to use a new can.

I had problems with some of the Rustoleum fluorescent colors. But the 2X has usually done me well. This week I had a new can of Kilz primer leave popcorn spit all over a rocket...

I use the hot water trick when its cold in the winter
I've had it happen with Rusto fluorescents, but not with the 2x gloss. Recently I've been warming my spray cans in a bucket of hot water from the tap, and it seems to work really well. The heat changes the viscosity of the paint and the pressure of the can. The paint atomizes well and self-levels nicely. Just get a bucket of hot water and let the can soak for 10 minutes or so. Then shake and spray as usual.

Back