Evening launch of the Estes Mini Honest John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomrcast

Reaction score
My daughter and I went out to the local soccer field this evening and sent the Mini Honest John by Estes skyward three times. Three good launches (two of which she did completely by herself) with three good recoveries. Just a little wind this evening. Got a chance to try out my new camera tripod launcher. Man do my old knees love that thing! Slight singed parachute on the last launch but still very usable. The debris you see was an experiment by my daughter to put some small wildflowers petals on the blast plate. Floral destruction!

HJ1.jpgHJ2.jpg

The camera tripod changes everything! Much easier for LPR launching.

One suggestion -
Tie your wire leads over the head adjustment handle (pointing to the left in the picture)
That acts like a gantry and takes away any pulling and weight from the igniter leads.

Looks great, and the Flower Petals really do add some Action to the Pics'.That gives me some Ideas.... Flour perhaps???

Thanks. I've been impressed with the quality of screen captures from videos taken from my iPhone!

Looks great, and the Flower Petals really do add some Action to the Pics'.That gives me some Ideas.... Flour perhaps???

My guess would be that Baby powder wouldn't be as flammable, powdered chalk may be another good medium.

My guess would be that Baby powder wouldn't be as flammable, powdered chalk may be another good medium.

I'm certainly not worried about Flames! Infact, I was first thinking that some Gunpowder would be good, but then I did a Mindsim and realized that the Powder would simply blow away and the little bit that would deflagrate would not show up as well in the Pic' as Flour would. Plus, it would be a Waste of BP or Pyrodex, which are much better at doing other things.
That said, some Baby Powder probably would work even better.

I'll bring some of each to my next Launch Outing. Who knows, this could be the new coolest thing. Making LPR Launches look more impressive in Pics'!
I don't have any Baby Powder, but I have some Foot Powder which is about the same thing.

if you want flames...cornstarch is probably cheaper than baby powder. powdered talc is non-flammable :).
Rex

Here in drought plagued south Texas I think flames might be a bad thing. I'll let her stick with flower petals. :)

I'm guessing directing the nozzle into a small can of gasoline would be irresponsible.

What started so innocently with a few flower petals...

I'm guessing directing the nozzle into a small can of gasoline would be irresponsible.

What started so innocently with a few flower petals...

Amazing how we turn things around here... Ok, baby powder is out...

[video=youtube;BAwcum3kegc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwcum3kegc[/video]

flour is too...

[video=youtube;_v2tVjfUvsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v2tVjfUvsc[/video]

I'll have to ask my sister about talc... (She's the local Fire Marshall)

Last edited:
My daughter and I went out to the local soccer field this evening and sent the Mini Honest John by Estes skyward three times. Three good launches (two of which she did completely by herself) with three good recoveries. Just a little wind this evening. Got a chance to try out my new camera tripod launcher. Man do my old knees love that thing! Slight singed parachute on the last launch but still very usable. The debris you see was an experiment by my daughter to put some small wildflowers petals on the blast plate. Floral destruction!

View attachment 169391View attachment 169392

Once you launch from a tripod, jack, you ain't ever goin' back. :wink:

No more crawling around face down in the dirt. :headbang:

Quick note from your launch pics: You probably want to thread or loop your ignition system wires through some kind of hole on the tripod, or even attach them to a leg by masking tape. (Leave enough 'slack' in the ignition wires so they are not 'tight,' but don't let several feet of wiring hang loose under the igniter.)

I have actually seen rockets get the igniters torn out of them by somebody walking by, getting their feet tangled in the ignition wires, and ending up giving the wiring system a big yank.

Taping or otherwise securing the ignition wiring to the tripod launcher means the actual ignition leads attached directly to the micro-clips and the igniter will not bear the pulling motion if somehow the wires get inadvertently yanked.

Plus, igniter and plugs sometimes can work their way loose out of nozzles if the weight of the wiring is tugging down on them. Harry Stine in the HBOMR recommended the use of 'umbilical towers' (a dowel attached to one leg of the launcher) but even taping the wiring leads so the weight of 'loose wire' tugging down on the micro-clips is only a foot or so rather than 10+ feet.

Of course the best way to avoid this situation is to make sure you don't have Cletus Clodhopper stumbling around your launch pads dragging his feet in the dirt to the point he can get his boots tangled in your ignition wiring, but Murphy's Law usually remains in full effect at all model rocket launch sites and if any kind of crazy launch pad mishap possibly CAN happen, sooner or later it will, so it's usually a good idea to try to avoid those situations in the first place.

Last edited:
Back