What do women want? Rockets!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
My nephew's girlfriend wanted a rocket and she wanted it to be girly. My wife also wanted a rocket, in a specific color combination, but not as girly. I made them both Maxi Alpha Threes, because they are nice big LPR rockets that are a good platform for decorating.

I posted a bunch of photos over in the Alpha gallery and a lot more explanation about the rockets and materials used, but here is a sample of the pics.

Here is the girly rocket.

MaxiAlphaThree-6.jpg

MaxiAlphaThree-7.jpg

It comes with a strap to convert to a hand bag.

MaxiAlphaThree-8.jpg

The "laundry" is lingerie style.

MaxiAlphaThree-Recovery-2.jpg

There is a very cute "astronaut" who has her own parachute.

MaxiAlphaThree-Recovery-3.jpg

Here is the one I built for my wife:

MaxiAlphaThree-4.jpg

It's inspired by the logo for our business.

MaxiAlphaThree-3.jpg
MaxiAlphaThree-2.jpg

She has some nice laundry as well.

MaxiAlphaThree-Recovery-1.jpg

I presented my wife with her rocket today and she loved it. My nephew's girlfriend will see hers for the first time tomorrow.

At first it looked like you had put on naval piercings, then I see a purse strap on it, does that make it easer to take it out to the launch pad?
My wife's first rocket is a Baby Bertha, that I decorated with panda stickers. (she likes pandas)
Now she wants a Mega Mosquito, decorated the same way.

DSCN2708.jpg DSCN2711.jpg

Last edited:
Back when I was a Wee BAR I let my daughters choose the paint scheme on a USR Banshee I bought cheap on EBay. They did not come to the launch so I was stuck carrying up a multi fluorescent, Banshee decaled rocket to see how high it would fly on an E9-4. Got a lot of strange looks from the conservative old guys, only later did I find out about half were caused by the paint scheme and half by old USR grudges.

Having done Girl Scout build sessions the lesson learned was Fluorescent Pink will never fail.

At first it looked like you had put on naval piercings, then I see a purse strap on it, does that make it easer to take it out to the launch pad?
My wife's first rocket is a Baby Bertha, that I decorated with panda stickers. (she likes pandas)
Now she wants a Mega Mosquito, decorated the same way.

View attachment 169361 View attachment 169368

I'm not sure how functional or practical the purse strap is going to be, but she loves purses, so that was the inspiration. It is removable for launch!

Those are some nice pandas. She didn't want the KISS pandas?

Back when I was a Wee BAR I let my daughters choose the paint scheme on a USR Banshee I bought cheap on EBay. They did not come to the launch so I was stuck carrying up a multi fluorescent, Banshee decaled rocket to see how high it would fly on an E9-4. Got a lot of strange looks from the conservative old guys, only later did I find out about half were caused by the paint scheme and half by old USR grudges.

Having done Girl Scout build sessions the lesson learned was Fluorescent Pink will never fail.

Would it have helped to explain, My other rocket is a Stuka dive bomber?

Would it have helped to explain, My other rocket is a Stuka dive bomber?

That was way before the JU 87 which exudes square jawed machismo. I have found sparkles go a long way. Stickers from the Hobby Lobby scrap booking section are good. I once had a Pershing 1A all done up in the test scheme with orange stripes and white top. All the fellers were commenting on how it was one of the purdiest paint schemes of all time. A lady that was near just shook her head and said it was ugly:y: Maybe a pink one with purple stripes and silver glitter on top?

Is that a Duct Tape wrap? Looks pretty good!

Yep. That is Duck brand Duct Tape. They make it in all kinds of crazy prints now, and they also make it in 8.25" x 10" sheets, not just rolls. An 8.25" wrap is just about perfect for a BT80 tube, with just a tiny overlap. I found the sheets at JoAnn Fabrics.

Those rockets look fantastic! I wish the women in these parts wanted rockets, maybe it's a regional thing. Around here, they seem to want fewer - especially on the kitchen table. I'm going to check the local Jo Ann for those sheets, lots of possibilities there, thanks for the tip!

Yep. That is Duck brand Duct Tape. They make it in all kinds of crazy prints now, and they also make it in 8.25" x 10" sheets, not just rolls. An 8.25" wrap is just about perfect for a BT80 tube, with just a tiny overlap. I found the sheets at JoAnn Fabrics.

The Walmarts here have those Duct Tape sheets in the arts and crafts section.

Nicely done and what a nice way to keep the ladies happy. Hmm...Hon, do you want me to build you a rocket? Please....with sprinkles and glitter?

methinks that it needs a payload section with a hinged door for carrying lipstick/lip balm :).
Rex

Nice drag race of these two and two more rockets at Moffett Field yesterday, all on E12-4's iirc. :D

Nice drag race of these two and two more rockets at Moffett Field yesterday, all on E12-4's iirc. :D

Thanks! That was a blast! It was these two rockets, plus my other Maxi Alpha Three and a Big Daddy, all on E12-4s. It was a pretty good drag race, and I wish I had pictures or video.

One thing I thought was pretty funny is that I was thinking of the drag race as just a cool spectacle of seeing 4 rockets take off at once, but found out later that Sara, owner of the pink zebra rocket, was taking it really seriously. She wanted to WIN! She said hers took off last, and she was a bit disappointed at first, but it took off faster than everyone else, passed everyone else up, and went higher than everyone else. She checked around and confirmed --- most people thought she won. Sara not only loves the design of her rocket, she likes the fact it is FAST! It may be a girly rocket, but it kicks butt!

Another funny thing was how when we stepped up to the RSO table for our pad assignments, they recognized the rockets from these pictures on the forum. Someone said, "I've seem these rockets before," and that was really confusing to Sara and my wife, because Sara hadn't even seen her rocket until an hour earlier, and my wife saw hers for the first time the day before. How had someone at the launch already seen them? Ari also recognized the rockets when we were checking in at the entrance to the field. I think the ladies like the fact their rockets are "famous."

Tim, I'm having trouble keeping track of different people I've met at the launches, matching real names to faces and TRF handles once I get home from the launch. Were you at the RSO table?

Last edited:
Yes, I was at the RSO table, and did the check-in for the drag race. That's funny about the competitive aspect from Sara. I think I may have predicted the Big Daddy would win the drag race. Oops!

Yes, I was at the RSO table, and did the check-in for the drag race. That's funny about the competitive aspect from Sara. I think I may have predicted the Big Daddy would win the drag race. Oops!

The Big Daddy was the favorite to win, and some observers think it did. I didn't even watch the launch with looking for a winner in mind, so I couldn't say.

After everyone hooked up their leads and we stepped back to the flight line, I noticed all the launch rods were at different angles, with some pointed right across each other's paths. It was a cool launch! I might be a little biased, but I think our drag race was the most exciting of the day in terms of number and size of rockets.

Thanks for your help checking in. The club does a fantastic job running these launches, and all the volunteers are great.

I made the comment at the RSO table and introduced myself to you. Nice to have met a fellow TRFer or two.

That was my first time as a LUNAR volunteer and it was very educational as everyone coming up to get a launch assignment had a unique approach to rocket building. The best part was seeing how excited everyone was to launch their own rocket and watch others too.

I made the comment at the RSO table and introduced myself to you. Nice to have met a fellow TRFer or two.

That was my first time as a LUNAR volunteer and it was very educational as everyone coming up to get a launch assignment had a unique approach to rocket building. The best part was seeing how excited everyone was to launch their own rocket and watch others too.

Yes, Mr. G, I remember. After the launch I was thinking, It was G something... G Force? G Shock? Thanks for reminding me, and thanks for volunteering. It was nice meeting you.

Ari had already noticed the pink rocket and asked her if it was the one he had seen on TRF with the duct tape, and she had no idea what he was talking about. And then you said you had seen the two rockets before on TRF too. I think she was surprised so many people had seen it before she had, but was very pleased it was so recognizable.

One thing about Moffett is it is hard on rockets. All the MA3s were on 18" chutes, so they came down quick, which was fine considering the breeze. But they landed hard on the concrete, and every one of them has a ding or two. I think I'm going to go with bigger chutes for these rockets at Moffett, if the wind will allow. In the meantime, ive got some cosmetic work to do. One good thing is that I filleted the fins with JB Weld, and they held very well --- none of them popped off as is notorious for the Maxi Alpha Three.

My Leviathan had recovered well at Moffett on a 30" chute the last time I was there, but it came down very hard on the 24" chute I used this time and suffered some damage to the BT near the fin can when it hit the concrete. I think it is repairable. I did not actually fetch the rocket myself, but my friend who did said he thought the chute had fouled a bit. I'm going back to 30" for Moffett if wind allows.

Why aren't these ladies building there own rockets?
My girlfriend built her own first rocket (an Aerotech Arreaux) on a Betty Boop theme and launched it twice at Red Glare XVI last weekend. She decided to leave off the payload tube to get more altitude. (Hey, I think that qualifies as her first kit bash too!)
She had a blast building and decorating it, and now wants to do her level one at URRF in June. Am I the luckiest guy or what?
Anyway I think her building it herself helped cement our relationship. I only gave her the technical info she needed. I built an Aerotech Mustang alongside so she would totally do her own build.

P1210673 (Small).JPGP1210668 (Small).JPGP1210770 (Small).JPGP1210907 (Large).JPGDSC_8680 (Large).JPGP1210908 (Small).JPGP1210911 (Medium).JPGP1210901 (Large).JPG

Why aren't these ladies building there own rockets?

Good point!

It looks like your girlfriend did a great job! When I was first dating the woman who would later be my wife, I mentioned to a friend of mine that my new girlfriend liked Star Trek. He told me, "Oh, man! Hold on to that one! You're never gonna find another who likes Star trek!" You might have a similar thing going on --- you're never gonna find another who builds rockets!

A motorcyclist is cruising down a city street on a dark and stormy night when he happens to spot a homeless man shivering under the eaves of a closed café.

Taking pity on the man the cyclist gives the man a ride to a nearby shelter and even goes so far as to give the man his last $10 and an old coat he had in one of his saddle bags.

Later that day the cyclist is parked at a rest stop overlooking the Pacific when suddenly the sky opens up and an Angel of the Lord appear before him.

The Angel says to the cyclist; “What you did this day was a generous and selfless act and as a reward God has sent me to ask what you would most like in this life.”

The motorcyclist quickly answers; “I’d like to have a bridge between here and Hawaii so that I and all my fellows can drive there any time we wish”.

The Angel looks to the Heavens and after a moment turns to the cyclist responding; “That is a selfish wish for one such as you and creating such a bridge would tax even the mightiest Angels. It would deplete the planet of many of its natural resources. It would change the tides and alter the currents of the oceans. It would disrupt the life cycles of many of the Pacific’s seaborne dwellers. This is not a wish that could be granted without serious disruptions and consequences.”

The Angel then asked the man to take a moment and perhaps request a wish that would be beneficial to all mankind.

The motorcyclist pauses for a time and then turning to the Angel says; “I want to understand women, I want to know what women really think and what they really want”.

The Angel looks once again to the Heavens nodding once and then again the Angel then looks upon the man and asks “You want one lane on that bridge or two?”

Eric,

Your rockets looked great in person and that was a awesome drag race. It looked like a couple of the rockets crossed paths in pretty close proximity. You all must have packed up quickly after that. I think by the time I recovered my Leviathan and Sami's Argent you were gone.

The concrete is pretty merciless. I used 24" chutes on our rockets and they both ended up with chipped fins. The Argent cracked 3/4 the way around at the coupler joint too. I soaked some CA into the crack and it flew fine on the second launch. I won a 30" chute at the clean up raffle, so I'll try it out the next time we fly there.

Eric,

Your rockets looked great in person and that was a awesome drag race. It looked like a couple of the rockets crossed paths in pretty close proximity. You all must have packed up quickly after that. I think by the time I recovered my Leviathan and Sami's Argent you were gone.

The concrete is pretty merciless. I used 24" chutes on our rockets and they both ended up with chipped fins. The Argent cracked 3/4 the way around at the coupler joint too. I soaked some CA into the crack and it flew fine on the second launch. I won a 30" chute at the clean up raffle, so I'll try it out the next time we fly there.

Chris, thanks for the compliment! It was good to see you and your family. I was pretty busy minding my guests, so I didn't get as much time to chat as I would have liked. And as soon as I recovered my Leviathan, we were out of there --- everyone was super hungry, and we went straight to a restaurant. If it was just me, I'd have stayed for the cleanup.

That drag race was crazy, wasn't it? Once we stepped back to the flight line, it looked like most of the launch rods seemed to be aimed into collision courses, and the LPR pads are all really close together, so you are right ---- it looked to me like they all crossed paths too. My group really loved that. They said next time we need even more rockets in the race. I might have to recruit random flyers at the launch and fill up the whole bank of pads.

(BTW, I supplied all the motors for my group, so that is a fast way to eat up E12s. After I get back from a short vacation next week, I'm planning on placing an order for more, probably through AC Supply. If you are interested in combining an order to save on hazmat shipping, I'll PM you beforehand.)

I'm going to have to do the same CA trick on my Leviathan. The paint cracked off, and it looks like a wrinkle in the body tube goes about half way around, right above where I think the middle centering ring is positioned --- top of the fin can. Everything still seems very solid, so I'm thinking i'll soak some CA into the cardboard, fill the wrinkle with something and send it back into action. The fin it landed on is also seriously crunched, it looks like it is missing about an inch off the bottom! The rocket will not stand upright on its own anymore. I haven't decided what to do about that yet.

Back