Badd Azz Rocketry Defender MK III

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike122

Reaction score
Hello all,

I ordered my defender mk 3 yesterday, I was just wondering if anyone has flown one of these rockets and if so, What is the biggest motor you recommend shoving in it? I can't wait to get this kit and start building away, I will be sure to have pics and video of the flight (going to get level 1 & 2 cert. with this beast) I will have a build thread once I get the kit, also what epoxy do you recommend using for this rocket?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I got my level 1 and 2 at thunderstruck 5. Flew a wildman for both, like you're planning. I used off the shelf 5 minute epoxy to tack things together and West systems with chipped carbon for the injected fillets. This worked well except I didn't get good seals on all of my internal root connections and had some leakage of the really thin injected epoxy.
My son used the same process for his level 1 but learned from my mistake and made certain to get full coverage on all internal fin surfaces. His worked great.
We both used RocketPoxy for the remaining connections. That stuff is really good. We use west chopped carbon and colloidal silica with the RocketPoxy and it is very workable.
We have 7 total flights, including a seemingly disastrous DD attempt on these now and both are in like new condition, minus some paint!
Look around the high Power forum and you will find a lot of folks who will detail their epoxy experiences as well. Digest all of these and follow what fits you best.
Good luck with your certifications. I will be watching your build thread and subsequent launch report so I can welcome you to "high power" upon your success.

I used West epoxy and colloidal silica on mine. No fin tabs built as a minimum, flies great. As far as motor goes, what's your waiver? LOL

Thanks Eric, Anything under 10k feet I just want to know what I can stuff in it and not break it although I shouldn't be worried about that.

-Mike

Last edited:
I just flew my MK III at Thunderstruck V on an I245. Certainly could go bigger but I like to see the entire flight. As I recall it was about 2900 ft for the flight on the I245.

I built mine with regular BSI 30 minute epoxy as I recall.

The smallest motor that I have flown it on is an H112. I don't think I would go any smaller of a motor in there.

Its a great kit and always draws attention.

I wish I could remember what Crazy Jim and I drag raced them on. It was a very nice flight.
2 grain 54's expect upper 7k.

Thanks eto and Eric I appreciate all the replies, again I can't wait to start building this awesome rocket.

-Mike

Got some stuff from the good people of Giant Leap Rocketry :D
Pro38-3G and ProDat (ProDat not needed for the defender mk 3 but just in case I wanna put it in another rocket).
IMG_1333[1].jpg
Have to say Very Fast Shipping Ordered Friday got Here today (monday). Thanks giant leap for the fast shipping.

-Mike

I wish I could remember what Crazy Jim and I drag raced them on. It was a very nice flight.
2 grain 54's expect upper 7k.

I think we did 5 or 6 grain 38 White Thunder. I do remember they went 6,000 something.

Yeah climb that darn tree or build another one, will ya? All that staring up in the air ain't gonna bring it down!

I know this guy, who knows a guy.......................... who's guy can get you one cheap, then we can get back to the business of drag racing:dark: [ course you can only get a hold of him after midnight]

Then again.. CJ thought he saw that rocket back in the wild a few weekends back.

Hey guys got the rocket today, will upload some pics when I get back, thanks eric.

-Mike

Sorry it took so long Mike. My Life is not the way I hoped it would be.
I'm do my best but I know I am not a very fast Vendor. Thank you for not going Postal on me!!

IMG_0024.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_0027.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0030.jpgIMG_0037.jpgIMG_0040.jpgIMG_0044.jpg

Can't resist showing the versatility of Eric's DMkIII. I love this rocket. Mark Hayes created a vinyl wrap to my specs depicting a 'spectrum of anger', starting with the benign "inert" and getting progressively, uh, more angry. Check out the words. The colors flow across the visible light spectrum as well. Will fly on this summer a CTI Skid I180 38 3-grain just for fun.

David

Upon further inspection this kit looks absolutely astonishing I have already been working on it a little, I did happen to find one of the fins had no slotting it was just a flat bottom :( , so Eric can you send me another fin please?

-Mike

Here are pics as promised.
IMG_1373[1].jpg
Also here is the fin that has no slotting.
IMG_1372[1].jpg
Here are some extra pics.
IMG_1376[1].jpg
IMG_1375[1].jpg

Just wondering, what altimeter do you guys recommend running in this rocket?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Nice looking rocket, did the kit come as fiberglass or did you special order it that way? I thought must of Eric's kits were PVC.

View attachment 172443View attachment 172442View attachment 172444View attachment 172445View attachment 172446View attachment 172447View attachment 172448View attachment 172449

Can't resist showing the versatility of Eric's DMkIII. I love this rocket. Mark Hayes created a vinyl wrap to my specs depicting a 'spectrum of anger', starting with the benign "inert" and getting progressively, uh, more angry. Check out the words. The colors flow across the visible light spectrum as well. Will fly on this summer a CTI Skid I180 38 3-grain just for fun.

David

David, I'm just now seeing you MkIII. All I can say is that is
VERY BADDAZZ!

Did you have a hard time getting the centering ring in place and aligned? Mines a tight squeeze and I can't seem to get to slide back and in the right position.

Sorry I haven't updated the thread recently I have way to many projects at the moment, Major Tom, Yes It can be quite tricky I stuck a screwdriver through one of the screw holes and used another to help seat it in place after that it was quite easy just don't accidentally bump the rocket, I have no idea when I will finish the rocket I have a huge project that I'm working on right now that is much more important to me than a rocket, If anyone would like to buy the rocket from me I will consider it (only at a good price of course).

-Mike

Last edited:
Back