Cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliguy78

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. Can I launch a cluster with 4 G80's without a L1 cert in California? I wanted to do this with a LOC 4-29ss that I am working on.

I believe you have to stay within 'H' impulse and this would be 'I'. I'm sure I will be corrected but can't you do an L1 on a cluster? If that is verified, why not go ahead and cert?

2 part answer: Will this be a NAR or Tripoli launch?
Check with CA Pyro guys as California has it's own set of rules to follow.

JD

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. Can I launch a cluster with 4 G80's without a L1 cert in California? I wanted to do this with a LOC 4-29ss that I am working on.

L1 cert has to have at least one H or I motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Level 1 HP clusters start at 320.1 newtons. Stay at or under 320 total newtons and you are still in the medium power range. You can't do it with CTI G80's as they have 93 newtons a pop and they are skids.

The very simple answer you are looking for is - "No".

Without certification you are limited to 2 G motors.

Exceeding 125 grams of propellant, or more than 320 newton seconds total thrust requires certification.

Rocketry in CA is probably more regulated than other places in the country.

It might be a good idea to fly with an organized club. :)

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I do plan on flying with an organized club. I just didn't understand the impulse requirements. I was waiting until June to get my L1. I just wanted to play around first :)

Play around with 2 G's. No shame in that game. Just be sure to plug the other motor tubes. I have flown my Viper on 2 motors several time.

Yes it is still valid.

Many newbies are not aware of the FAA 125 g total propellant limit and/or the FAA 1500 g limit of model rockets regardless of total impulse limits.

• A rocket with (4) Estes E9 model rocket motors each have 35 g of propellant is a Class 2 high power rocket requiring a waiver and L1 certification at NAR/TRA launches, because the total propellant weight is 140 g which in in excess of the 125 g total propellant limit for Class 1 model rockets.
  • Similarly any rocket weighing more than 1500 grams regardless of propellant weight is a Class 2 high power rocket requiring a FAA waiver and L1 certification at NAR/TRA launches.

Additionally many folks are unaware of the 80 N average thrust limitation for model rocket motors.

• A F240 is a high power motor because the average thrust exceeds 80 N even though the total impulse is between 40 NS < F =< 80 NS.

The rules in the Republic of CA are more restrictive than the other 49 states because of the CSFM licensing/approval requirements. Find a NAR/TRA club in CA for the details.

Bob

a pictorial reply: 3.3 pounds, 2 G80-7T's

8686794885_8d959c2796_z.jpg

Back