Supporting Membership suggestion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuse Eh!

Reaction score
I looked over the list of TRF supporting membership benefits, and would like to suggest a couple of additional benefits.

The current benefits are outlined as follows:
"For only $2.99/month, $19.95/year or $100/Lifetime you gain the following benefits to your Membership here at RocketryForum (sic) and help support the further growth of our general knowledge base and community.
Less advertising.
NO mobile advertising
Unlimited private message space.
Unlimited file attachment space.
Unlimited gallery space.
Larger Profile Picture dimensions and file size.
The satisfaction that you are supporting a great community with a great cause."

I would like to respectfully suggest two additional benefits:
1. At the annual membership level, all of the above benefits PLUS access to a special member's-only forum section to be called "First Amendment Zone" where any comments short of libel, slander, defamation or high treason would not only be allowed but actively encouraged. Think of it as an (almost) no-holds-barred amped up version of the Watering Hole where the rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression would be respected and nurtured. Those not wishing to participate or those not wishing to view certain threads would have the right to simply ignore the proceedings. After all, occasional lapses in judgement, social decorum and good etiquette to the contrary, haven't most of us TRF users demonstrated that we have reached the age of responsibility and accountability in our particular jurisdictions?
2. At the lifetime level, all of the above benefits PLUS the choice of either a screen printed TRF rocket logo T-shirt OR a TRF rocket logo bumper / range box sticker.

What say you?

John

I would love to see a lessening on the time between posts rule. The tshirt would be nice as well.

Regarding an (almost) anything goes zone, my respectful opinion is "hell no." I've often seen disputes supposedly contained in one area spill over into bad behavior elsewhere. Only bad feelings will result. And most of the more divisive issues aren't going to be resolved because they result from fundamental differences of opinion, rather than things that will be changed through unmoderated discourse. There are plenty of other more appropriate venues for that kind of interaction. I know people who truly enjoy that kind of thing, and there's nothing wrong with it, but my opinion (and it's just an opinion) is that this isn't the place.

I think the mod staff do a good job here of trying to foster discussion without being overly restrictive. Perfect? No, but pretty darned good.

Marc

Regarding an (almost) anything goes zone, my respectful opinion is "hell no." I've often seen disputes supposedly contained in one area spill over into bad behavior elsewhere. Only bad feelings will result. And most of the more divisive issues aren't going to be resolved because they result from fundamental differences of opinion, rather than things that will be changed through unmoderated discourse. There are plenty of other more appropriate venues for that kind of interaction. I know people who truly enjoy that kind of thing, and there's nothing wrong with it, but my opinion (and it's just an opinion) is that this isn't the place.

I think the mod staff do a good job here of trying to foster discussion without being overly restrictive. Perfect? No, but pretty darned good.

Marc

plus 1

I would like to respectfully suggest two additional benefits:
1. At the annual membership level, all of the above benefits PLUS access to a special member's-only forum section to be called "First Amendment Zone" where any comments short of libel, slander, defamation or high treason would not only be allowed but actively encouraged. Think of it as an (almost) no-holds-barred amped up version of the Watering Hole where the rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression would be respected and nurtured. Those not wishing to participate or those not wishing to view certain threads would have the right to simply ignore the proceedings. After all, occasional lapses in judgement, social decorum and good etiquette to the contrary, haven't most of us TRF users demonstrated that we have reached the age of responsibility and accountability in our particular jurisdictions?
2. At the lifetime level, all of the above benefits PLUS the choice of either a screen printed TRF rocket logo T-shirt OR a TRF rocket logo bumper / range box sticker.

I will pass your recommendation on to Austin.

That said, when I was still the owner, the suggestion of your #1 came up, and I said No Way, No How.

My opinion, my opinion only....somewhere like that just encourages such behavior on the forum.

-Kevin

Back