New guy going way out on a limb (and not to retrieve my rocket from a tree)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomrcast

Reaction score
I joined this forum site a few weeks ago. I've posted a few questions and a few photos of my novice work. I was overwhelmed by the fast and friendly responses. There are some very helpful, truly kind individuals on here.

But alas it appears this site is still apart of the internet as a whole. As I look through other posts I find an alarming current of political talk and occasional aggressive fellow poster bashing. Maybe cloud cuckoo land doesn't exist. Shangrila was really just U.S.S. Hornet with B-25s on board. And Utopia is just a small hill country town in Texas. We of course are all welcome to our opinions (this one included). But I come to a place like this (as I do with all of my hobbies) to escape the real world as much as possible. When I connect the igniters, I don't want to think about the budget. As I press the ignition switch I don't care who is in a blue state and who is in a red state. As I anxiously wait for the recovery charge to deploy the chute I don't care who is in the oval office. I guess if I had one wish for this site it would be that politics and aggression could be saved for the comment section of news webpages. Keith Oberlmann, Nancy Grace, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Reilly have no place here unless they want to know the best place to buy BT-60 tubes or motors.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. However, being the watering hole, this area is most often up for grabs. Just take the good and tune out the bad.

Adrian

Politics was once banned on this site and threads were often shut down quickly when they strayed. Guess we have less oversight with the new ownership, or worse, a rules change(?).

Politics was once banned on this site and threads were often shut down quickly when they strayed. Guess we have less oversight with the new ownership, or worse, a rules change(?).
Traffic is money now...

When you see political posts, please report them.

The staff continues to review (and often discuss) every reported post.

Remember, too, that it's humans who are making the judgement. We aren't perfect. Plus, what one person views as political someone else might not. Using the Nancy Grace thread (last I looked at it), while not something I would've started here, isn't political. Her topics on her show may be, but the thread itself (as I said, last I looked at it) isn't.

Something to remember is that if you stifle all off-topic discussion, you stifle discussion in general. Thus, the existence of the Watering Hole.

-Kevin

With regards to politics and other controversial topics, this forum is one of the tamest ones I have ever seen. There is very little discussion of the kinds of topics that get people riled up, and even when there is, I don't see a lot of trolling or flaming or bashing of members. The moderators here run a pretty tight ship as far as I am concerned.

If you see something you don't like, click "Report Post" (the little triangle with the exclamation point, below the post, on the left), stop reading, and move on to something you like better. It's very easy to avoid threads you don't like.

Agree with everything said. I did in fact use the report button on the one thread I thought way off topic. I agree to a lesser extend with " if you stifle all off-topic discussion, you stifle discussion in general". Of course some "drift" occurs. And whereas the Nancy Grace thread wasn't particularly political, it certainly had nothing at all to do with rocketry. but I understand everyones point. I suppose I'll be staying away from the Watering Hole.

I wouldn't necessarily "stay away" from the Watering Hole. A lot of useful and interesting discussion happen here as well as the less useful ones. Perhaps consider just being a little more judicious in which thread you choose to read. As others have said, it won't take you long to know who (whom) to avoid as well as what topics may well be of interest to you. For example, this is the place where announcements about new developments in the real rocket world usually hit first (SpaceX, Ariane, moon missions, Mars missions, etc.) and where several members (who actually work for real rocket companies and work on the real deal every day) weigh in with insider stories and pictures. If you stay away entirely, you're likely to miss some pretty cool stuff.

I try my best to avoid the Political Stuff here,(I totally avoided the Nancy Grace Thread) as my Politics are very radical and have gotten me banned from a lot of other Forums.
One of the best things about this Site has been the lack Political stuff.

Agree with everything said. I did in fact use the report button on the one thread I thought way off topic. I agree to a lesser extend with " if you stifle all off-topic discussion, you stifle discussion in general". Of course some "drift" occurs. And whereas the Nancy Grace thread wasn't particularly political, it certainly had nothing at all to do with rocketry. but I understand everyones point. I suppose I'll be staying away from the Watering Hole.

You should probably avoid my posts and threads. They typically are not political, but sometimes off-topic, smart-ass, wisecracking tomfoolery. :D

There's so much of this forum I never get to due to lack of interest, I have rarely posted in someones build thread and skip many topics in the Watering Hole...including the "Nancy Grace" thread. Quite simply I don't know who she is and could not care less.

If there's someone's posts that bother you consistantly then block them, I do. You can still read their posts if you want by clicking the Read Post button. I seldom do that either. Most of the time it just reinforces the reason for the block in the first place.

I have to say if I suspect a fake I'm a shark to blood. Spammers and obvious liars get reported as fast as I can and many times I'm the first in line to burst a bubble, I hate liars.

[QUOTE ThirstyBarbarian;698005]With regards to politics and other controversial topics, this forum is one of the tamest ones I have ever seen. There is very little discussion of the kinds of topics that get people riled up, and even when there is, I don't see a lot of trolling or flaming or bashing of members. The moderators here run a pretty tight ship as far as I am concerned. [/QUOTE]

+1 to that. Even the occasional flame wars are pretty restrained. I sympathize with the OP but I don't see a reason for a crackdown on off-topic posts.

Last edited:
Back