When to start using buttons and rails?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPaintball

Reaction score
I have always hated the whip and wanted to start using a rail system. But I am a total rookie when it comes to this. So I have a few questions.

What size of rocket would using such a system be ideal for?
Does the buttons impact the flight?
Would it make the rocket heavier on the side of the buttons?
Would air cause much drag on the one side and pull the rocket to that way?

Thanks
AP

1. Any rocket can use buttons

2.no the button will impact the flight as much and even less than a launch lug.

3. no

4. no it will be the same as a launch lug.

You should check out the Thread on Mini and Micro Rail buttons currently in the LPR forum. I'm in the process of beginning the use of 3 different rails for my many models. 10mm x 35.5" Rail with Micro (2-56")buttons for Micro (T3) and most smaller Standard LPR models, 20mm x 48" Rail with 4-40" Mini buttons for larger LPR, and Standard 1.0" x 72" 1010 Rail w/ 8-32" buttons for MPR models to 5"dia. I don't fly APCP or HPR but the standard 1010 could handle them if other club members want to use my Rails on the field.
I've set up all three Rails to allow them to be mounted on any of our club Launchers and just about any launcher base that others might bring in.

Do note! Rail buttons will not replace ALL Launch Lug on some models. You really have to fit the button/rail combination to your model diameters.

Last edited:
Thy is true like models with odd shaped fins that don't have room to fit a rail and some tube fin rockets where the tubes are too small for the rail to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

With proper engineering I believe rail buttons can be used on any rocket, and I would use them from day one and ditch the lugs.

When I started launching in '03, almost everything used rods up to 1". Today, even many of the MPRs use buttons for 1010 rails. I don't have anything that uses a rod larger then 3/16".

Back