QCRS launch April 19th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Bomber F/X

Reaction score
QCRS will be hosting a club launch Saturday, April 19th. We will be at the Princeton field with our standard 15,000' waiver. For directions and a complete launch schedule go to qcrs.us.

Thinking about making the drive down for the launch. While a 3 hour each way drive seems like a lot, I really would like to "air" a few out. Anyone know how muddy the fields are? What time do you guys usually start? I didn't see a time on the website ( if there was one, I missed it).

Thinking about making the drive down for the launch. While a 3 hour each way drive seems like a lot, I really would like to "air" a few out. Anyone know how muddy the fields are? What time do you guys usually start? I didn't see a time on the website ( if there was one, I missed it).

Russ, Not sure what the field conditions are, I'll see if I can get a answer for you later today. T he range opens at 9am. We have plenty of "air", you're welcome to as much as you want!

I made the trek out to QCRS yesterday. A wonderful weather day with nice dry wide open fields. Well worth the drive.

It seemed to be bonus day for me as I was able to meet David Reese (or should I say Dr. Reese), The one and only Crazy Jim Henderson was there- while Jim's rocketry accomplishments are well known, I don't think most know of his superb child watching skills (hopefully the sugar highs of Griffins and John's kids wear off sometime soon). Jason and Steve did a wonderful job of making me and my son feel at home and showing me the ropes, while Jason made sure I wasn't going to leave without using that long burn motor I had. Adrian was there and I am told I saw history as he not only launched a rocket but recovered it as well. Sorry Adrian just reporting the facts as I heard them announced at your flight and also thanks Adrian for your help and next time I know I won’t do a double check on your feedback (I was just a bit nervous about the slop in that motor). Of course Tim was there who found a new way to make sales by showing my son the really "big goodies". Just kidding Tim I was going to buy it anyway.

With Jason, Crazy Jim, and Tim at a launch is it really hard to imagine the word "Drag-race" coming up. 4 inch Jimbo Jarts on K940's, as you can see it was pretty obvious that Jim had the hole shot.

IMG_0855 - Copy.JPG

I had 3 wonderful flights, one being my personal best altitude of 12,016 feet on a COMP 3 flying a K300 long burn. Almost 9 seconds of wonderful burning bliss. The only thing better than the flight was experiencing it with my son, he wanted to try to find it with our tracker and we found it about ¾ of a mile away. I’m not sure who was more excited him or me.

IMG_0866 Copy.jpg

With the excitement of the day still fresh in our minds, we stopped for a well-deserved Ice Cream treat in Dixon, Illinois before heading home. I hope to make it back for the 2 day launch in May.

It was great weather, great low winds and a great day overall. Thanks to everyone who made it out to fly with us. Congrats to the Missouri group on your full scale test. Even though it didnt fire the second stage, at least everything recovered well. Good luck with the competition.

Russ, great to see you and your son. Glad you had a good time, Love that K300!!!

If you missed us this month, plan on next month. See ya there.

C/J, what IS your babysitting hourly rate??

Done deal, I got ya covered next launch for at least a K motor.

It sure was an excellent day to launch rockets! You can see the ground-level and on-board videos of my Madcow 4" Frenzy, "Uncle Sam", posted on my YouTube channel at:
https://youtu.be/VkigvWnuLa4 . For best viewing, click the little gear icon and choose 1080HD. Hope you're having an excellent Easter!

It sure was an excellent day to launch rockets! You can see the ground-level and on-board videos of my Madcow 4" Frenzy, "Uncle Sam", posted on my YouTube channel at:
https://youtu.be/VkigvWnuLa4 . For best viewing, click the little gear icon and choose 1080HD. Hope you're having an excellent Easter!

What exactly was your "switch failure"?? did you have 2 altimeters on one switch?

Just curious.

What exactly was your "switch failure"?? did you have 2 altimeters on one switch?

Just curious.

There must be something loose inside the switch that causes it to alter between on and off. That's all I know for now. When I wiggle one of the solder posts, I can repeat the failure mode. I'm going to try to "open" it up sometime and get a closer look. I had used this exact avionics bay on another rocket at our last launch and it worked just fine. And, like I pointed out in the video, I did have continuity on the launch pad (you can also hear the three beeps recorded on the GearCam on-board camera right up until launch).

Back