Being intentionally Unhelpful.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
I've noticed as I begin to use the forum more and more, a number of people who go out of their way to be distinctly unhelpful.

Whether it be asking questions and the response of "figure it out yourself" or even so far as private messages suggesting I have no business in trying to further my skills, as it is best left to those with years of experience.

The latest example of this I've noticed is where somebody posted pictures of a 'tool' or piece of equipment they'd designed, I liked it, and asked if they'd mind me copying it. When I go back to look for reference, they've deleted all of their posts and pictures in that thread. Weird - and I can only assume they didn't want someone benefitting.

I'm not naming names. I just simply don't get it! I use this forum for help, advice & reference. I know (especially for you guys in the States) a big part of it is community and social. So I just don't understand people who join a forum aimed at offering help & advice, but then take the attitude of "I know but I'm not telling you". It's bizarre. Fin.

Luke

Sorry to hear this. It's too bad some people are that way, but as far as offering help I myself and a great number of other members on this forum would be more than happy to help you.

Indeed. SkyTrekker's "Out of Print" thread is a prime example - 9 smart-ass replies before someone actually answered his question.

Luke

Sorry to hear this. It's too bad some people are that way, but as far as offering help I myself and a great number of other members on this forum would be more than happy to help you.

I have received some great help & advice from many members on here. Some have sent me PM's offering assistance and letting me know I'm on the right path. It's a great forum on the whole. Just spoilt by a few with very poor attitudes. As I say, I just find it weird that you would join a forum only to go out of your way to be unnecessarily rude etc to people, seems like a lot of wasted effort.

I agree. I added my two cents to that thread. I'm ashamed at the way some of our members behave toward others on here, especially new members.

It seems to be something of a recent phenomenon. Historically, the attitude of the membership here has always been, "There are no stupid questions." No one was prone to answer (as is common on other forums) "Go look it up in the archives before bothering us." That welcoming spirit toward newcomers and young people is what attracted me here and is why I have always recommended TRF as an information source for scouts and others just getting started in the hobby.

It would be a shame if that spirit were lost.

It seems to be something of a recent phenomenon. Historically, the attitude of the membership here has always been, "There are no stupid questions." No one was prone to answer (as is common on other forums) "Go look it up in the archives before bothering us." That welcoming spirit toward newcomers and young people is what attracted me here and is why I have always recommended TRF as an information source for scouts and others just getting started in the hobby.

It would be a shame if that spirit were lost.

This (or the lack of it, actually) was the thing that almost drove me away from the forum initially (but with all due respect, I was sorta looking like a troll...). I was both young AND new. I almost quit the forum twice. BUT, now, I feel more like a respected member of the forum. I may post a lot, but I do learn a lot.
:)

Matt

Second time I correct someoine about the same thread. Go re-read post #4. Luke Strawwalker said what he wanted and corrected the OOP thing as easily as possible. Yeah, I posted, kinda smartass but I REALLY want some B14's...

Second time I correct someoine about the same thread. Go re-read post #4. Luke Strawwalker said what he wanted and corrected the OOP thing as easily as possible. Yeah, I posted, kinda smartass but I REALLY want some B14's...

Oh yeah! B14s rocked.

Can I add A3s and 13mm Bs to the list?

Many of the folks here are genuinely helpful.

There are a few who seem to relish being pedantic and condescending. We pretty much all know who those are.

Focus on the positive, and the fact that most of the folks here are genuinely helpful.

-Kevin

Yeah I don't get that attitude either... There are a few folks here sadly enough that are famous for that attitude though... Part of being new is figuring out who to ignore...

Not an excuse, but sometimes us "old hats" have answered a question so many times and in such detail that its tedious to repeat it, especially if the topic came up fairly recently and was discussed thoroughly a couple weeks before a new guy joined and posts it as a new question... Still no excuse to be rude, though... Just post a link or tell someone what to search for or where to look...

If a person doesn't want to do that much to help, they shouldn't bother posting at all to that thread...

IMHO... OL JR

Perhaps the ones that relish being pedantic and condescending continue to do so because there are no consequences...maybe the moderators could implement some?

I recognize the desire, and we've discussed it. The challenge is it's a very slippery slope, as well as a bit of the subjective side.

-Kevin

Perhaps the ones that relish being pedantic and condescending continue to do so because there are no consequences...maybe the moderators could implement some?

As much as that might sound like a good idea in the heat of this moment, this is a huge Pandora's box that should not be opened. I've seen it on other forums (I peruse several automotive & firearm themed ones) and it just gets really ugly. When moderators start subjectively punishing people with public chastisement and temporary/permanent bans, the overall agitation and anger levels go up. And make no mistake - determining the level of smartassity (or other unacceptable content) is very subjective. And don't get me started on how moderators on forums that give them this kind of power end up with their own cliques of people whom they never punish and they'll unjustly punish people in other cliques of they don't like that particular moderator...etc..etc..

It just breeds a lot of confrontation that will turn even more people off. I humbly suggest that, as someone stated above, that we learn who to ignore and then just do so.

I think we all need to remember that all of us are here to share our passion for this hobby and hands down regardless of the number people here who may try to do their best to be a "troll" for lack of better words this is a great place to hang out. A very large majority 98% of the people are great and would go the extra mile for anyone so lets keep that in mind. I think dwelling on this and other negatives aspects does nothing to improve the experience one might have here. So lets lay this rest. I think everyone got an ear full...

As much as that might sound like a good idea in the heat of this moment, this is a huge Pandora's box that should not be opened. I've seen it on other forums (I peruse several automotive & firearm themed ones) and it just gets really ugly. When moderators start subjectively punishing people with public chastisement and temporary/permanent bans, the overall agitation and anger levels go up. And make no mistake - determining the level of smartassity (or other unacceptable content) is very subjective. And don't get me started on how moderators on forums that give them this kind of power end up with their own cliques of people whom they never punish and they'll unjustly punish people in other cliques of they don't like that particular moderator...etc..etc..

It just breeds a lot of confrontation that will turn even more people off. I humbly suggest that, as someone stated above, that we learn who to ignore and then just do so.

I've witnessed exactly this on other forums, same as you. I could not agree more that a 'police state' is not the way to go by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I've not noticed this at all. But then again, for the most part, I stay out of the Watering Hole 97% of the time. This is my 3% (and the "what did you do today", and a launch report now and then). The watering hole can also 95% percent of the time be called the cess pool instead.

Everyone here on TRF that I find myself conversing with, as long as its rockets, or health, or friendships, seems to love sharing. I am proud to call many of you friends. Those I have met and those I have yet to.

OKAY Rant Ahead:

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

I do note that some cannot and will not get over Kevin trying to pay for the space (pictures, hello??!) and bandwidth we use to get the best ideas and conversations in Rocketry on the net (IMO). Nothing else online comes close. Yep I am TRF fan boy. What I am tired of is this: If you DO NOT LIKE TRF, stop whining and leave. Why the hell do you keep bitching, crying, and moaning? You have a choice. You can put up with ads, pay 5 CENTS a day to get rid of them and support the site, or leave.

Some people remind me of the Obama haters. Look there are ads on TRF, "F'in Obama!" Oh look! Some made fun of a post, "F'in Obama". Except we can replaces the President with ads and or Troj.

I do note that some cannot and will not get over Kevin trying to pay for the space (pictures, hello??!) and bandwidth we use to get the best ideas and conversations in Rocketry on the net (IMO). Nothing else online comes close. Yep I am TRF fan boy. What I am tired of is this: If you DO NOT LIKE TRF, stop whining and leave. Why the hell do you keep bitching, crying, and moaning? You have a choice. You can put up with ads, pay 5 CENTS a day to get rid of them and support the site, or leave.

Thanks for the support, Jeff! That said, I no longer own the site, but your comments are still accurate.

-Kevin

I've found this forum to be one of the more unhelpful ones I frequent. I've seen too many of the "that's what's great about this hobby there's so many ways to do things" but when you read the post it's pointed out how wrong it is. I have to say it has cured me of wanting to go further than I have in this hobby.

Over time, I've figured out whose posts are going to be helpful and whose won't be. I don't read the ones of the posters who don't add value, unless they provide some entertainment for what follows. As for the ads, I tend to ignore ads on TV. I ignore them here, too. Complaining about ads or someone wanting to make money is far more annoying than the ads.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Thanks for the support, Jeff! That said, I no longer own the site, but your comments are still accurate.

-Kevin

I did not know that. (who is?) But the point is, as a Community. TRF is the most helpful, accurate, and often innovative site on model rocketry of all kinds (I don't know about EX cause I ain't there). Look at that site that starts with Y. Its deader than a door nail, and is mostly old dudes wishing for days gone by.

F that. We are in the 21st century (don't get me started)...

TRF moves forward. Vendors post here. This is the active community. And most of you (tho not all apparently) are aerospace and rocketry enthusiasts!! And tho when I look at some non-rocketry posts, we differ in almost EVERY other opinion, we all come together and say, "That was COOL!!!! DO IT AGAIN!!!"

Speaking from my own personal experience, I've learned a lot here, and the membership is great! There are many people here willing to help you out no matter what your level of expertise or the kinds of questions you ask. If you run into members who are less than helpful, just ignore them, research your question, and if you don't find an answer, ask it again. I hope you find some helpful answers!

Judicious use of the "Ignore User" function will help sort out the wheat from chaff.

If someone consistently adds noise to the bandwidth, click on their name to go to their profile page and block them. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Judicious use of the "Ignore User" function will help sort out the wheat from chaff.

If someone consistently adds noise to the bandwidth, click on their name to go to their profile page and block them. Easy peasy.

Didn't realise you could do this. Thanks.

As for earlier comments this is not a point I am making about the watering hole, as I rarely use that either. Nor is this a thread about ads, and I don't want it to turn into a thread about ads. It is about members going out of their way in rocketry related threads to be a nuisance and distract from the question, often causing others to follow in the pursuit of 'humour'. It is difficult to ignore when threads are regularly hijacked and completely put off course.

I think the point needs to be made that rocketry vendors can and do struggle. Look at the fuss we saw on here when semroc closed. To keep rocketry available and affordable we need to encourage and grow in numbers. Yet so many seem determined in their actions to put newcomers off and send them packing. It's counter intuitive, childish and plain old dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I've found this forum to be one of the more unhelpful ones I frequent. I've seen too many of the "that's what's great about this hobby there's so many ways to do things" but when you read the post it's pointed out how wrong it is. I have to say it has cured me of wanting to go further than I have in this hobby.

I truly am sorry to hear that.

I think what you've encountered is people who are forgetting one very important thing: As long as it's legal and safe, nothing else matters.

Do you encounter the same kind of issues with your local club?

-Kevin

I did not know that. (who is?) But the point is, as a Community. TRF is the most helpful, accurate, and often innovative site on model rocketry of all kinds (I don't know about EX cause I ain't there). Look at that site that starts with Y. Its deader than a door nail, and is mostly old dudes wishing for days gone by.

F that. We are in the 21st century (don't get me started)...

TRF moves forward. Vendors post here. This is the active community. And most of you (tho not all apparently) are aerospace and rocketry enthusiasts!! And tho when I look at some non-rocketry posts, we differ in almost EVERY other opinion, we all come together and say, "That was COOL!!!! DO IT AGAIN!!!"

Here! Here! :cheers:

Well said!

Back