Calvin&Hobbes 2 Stage High power Rocket for URRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a lawndart a few years back, but I had to use the last 3 or 4 readings to do it. The rocket could not be found under the last reading, but I was able to project the angle from several readings, and that took me right to it. I can't exactly tell from your video what the flight path was, but it looked like it might not have been straight up. If this was the case, then you need to account for the angle in order to make full use of your gps data. On my flight, which wasn't that angled, this approach moved the impact point about 70 feet relative to the final reading.

Jim

Oh ok I see what you mean. I will use some of the later gps coordinates to help locate it.

Did you contact a club member in order to see if it's okay to go on the field? What was okay Saturday could be trespassing Monday...

I Asked pshooter26 but haven't gotten a reply and no reply on the Facebook page. Hopefully I get a response from someone.

I just texted with the VP (Mike Crupe) and he said you can go look for it tomorrow. If anyone asks, state that you are with CTRA and you will be fine. The land owner is very amicable.

I just texted with the VP (Mike Crupe) and he said you can go look for it tomorrow. If anyone asks, state that you are with CTRA and you will be fine. The land owner is very amicable.

ok thanks dan:)

Connor,

Done, talked to John

Its ok. I will pm you John's phone number, just in case, but he said no one should bother you.

Well I guess calvin doesn't want to be found:):) my dad and I were at the field for an hour and a half. We looked al over the woods and couldn't find a single thing. Maybe at the September launch when some if the stuff has started to die.

It's time for a rebuild!!!! ordered the body tube and nosecone to rebuild calvin!!!! i have clip retainers from another build I'm doing right now so i will use them on this as well. Got the fins traced onto 1/4" plywood and will get them cut soon. This will fly again at LDRS 34:) This time it WILL work as I'm getting new electronics for the motor ignition.

In some ways, a rebuild can be more satisfying than a new build.

hahahahaha

At some point rebuilding is cheaper and easier than finding and recovering ggggrrrrrrr.

I'm totally fine with a rocket blowing up, but watching one dive knowing it was my fault just lit a fire of anger :)

Got the 3" tube today along with the nosecone.

Aiming to get the tube cut this weekend. Fins will also get cut out.

Ok fine cut out and 1 fin airfoiled(Mom was tired of hearing the belt sander and band saw going all day :) )

Will airfoil the rest later and cut some fin slots.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419862321.416535.jpg

Ok fine cut out and 1 fin airfoiled(Mom was tired of hearing the belt sander and band saw going all day :) )

Will airfoil the rest later and cut some fin slots.

Why, are your belt sander and bandsaw in your living room?

Why, are your belt sander and bandsaw in your living room?

LOL our garage is directly behind our living room which is where all of our larger tools are :) Also not a lot of installation between them. I guess she didn't like trying to watch TV with power tools going! :facepalm:

LOL our garage is directly behind our living room which is where all of our larger tools are :) Also not a lot of installation between them. I guess she didn't like trying to watch TV with power tools going! :facepalm:

Tell her I said rockets are more important than TV.

Got the 2 centering rings cut.

With the aft I drilled 2 1/4" holes for the threaded inserts. I decided to use the threaded inserts along with the clips from railbuttons.com

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420313724.330946.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420313751.482218.jpg

Glued the forward ring on the MMT. Yes I am using wood glue.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420313808.372543.jpg

Once the fillets dry it will be glued into the airframe.

Got the 2 centering rings cut.

With the aft I drilled 2 1/4" holes for the threaded inserts. I decided to use the threaded inserts along with the clips from railbuttons.com

View attachment 250554

View attachment 250555

Glued the forward ring on the MMT. Yes I am using wood glue.

View attachment 250556

Once the fillets dry it will be glued into the airframe.

Looking good. On those clips, what are the dimensions of each of the sections? ie, length of the part on the CR, height, length of part parallel to CR?

Nate

Looking good. On those clips, what are the dimensions of each of the sections? ie, length of the part on the CR, height, length of part parallel to CR?

Nate

Whoops this is what happens when I no longer get notification emails from TRF...... I can get you the dimensions when I get home :)

Whoops this is what happens when I no longer get notification emails from TRF...... I can get you the dimensions when I get home :)

LOL, yeah I had the same problem. Thanks

Nate

Back