Calvin&Hobbes 2 Stage High power Rocket for URRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishing you straight smoke and full chutes!!!

Straight smoke would be great:) the wind us supposed to be blowing at 12 mph though. We'll see.

I have finalized all of the electronics. The booster will hold am eggtimer that will control separation and deployment of the 2 chutes. It will fore the separation charge 3 seconds after burn out. The parachutes will be deployed at 850ft.

The sustainer will have an RRC2 that will control the dual deployment for the sustainer. Another eggtimer will be used to ignite the sustainer motor 4 second after burnout of the booster motor. It must have a minimum velocity of 70mph, have not reached nose over and reached an altitude of 900ft in order for the sustainer igniter to fire. In the nose cine I have my Eggfinder that will be used to track the sustainer.

Booster: H999

Sustainer: H242

Altitude:4100ft.

Max velocity:456mph

If it's windy I would reduce the time to fire and altitude limit. The H999 will get the rocket going straight off the rail. Don't give the rocket time to arc over.

If it's windy I would reduce the time to fire and altitude limit. The H999 will get the rocket going straight off the rail. Don't give the rocket time to arc over.

reducing Time to fire makes sence if it's windy, but why altitude limit? I ask cause I dont know.
Your right about the H999 getting it going:y:

yep.. motors are made just need to get to the launch to set up electronics:)

reducing Time to fire makes sence if it's windy, but why altitude limit? I ask cause I dont know.
Your right about the H999 getting it going:y:

The altitude limit is because if you reduce the time to ignition without reducing the minimum ignition altitude, then it won't fire...

It's a safety mechanism to ensure that the boost went well.

Ell also another flight that did not go as planned. The booster have it a great boost and separated perfectly but the sustainer never lit. The RRC2 also never fired the main charge but it did fire the drogue charge however I wasn't using a chute in the drogue. One of the booster parachutes broke but other the that it was fine. The sustainer suffered from some major dents in the body tube making weak spots and my Eggfinder,eggtimer and RRC2 that were in the sustainer are no longer functioning.
I am going to try to rebuild it and just use this thread to show my progress. First I have to save up for all new electronics that I lost:(:(:( I am also going to get an RRC3 so I only need one altimeter in the sustainer AV bay. I will post some pictures tommorrow.

Ell also another flight that did not go as planned. The booster have it a great boost and separated perfectly but the sustainer never lit. The RRC2 also never fired the main charge but it did fire the drogue charge however I wasn't using a chute in the drogue. One of the booster parachutes broke but other the that it was fine. The sustainer suffered from some major dents in the body tube making weak spots and my Eggfinder,eggtimer and RRC2 that were in the sustainer are no longer functioning.
I am going to try to rebuild it and just use this thread to show my progress. First I have to save up for all new electronics that I lost:(:(:( I am also going to get an RRC3 so I only need one altimeter in the sustainer AV bay. I will post some pictures tommorrow.

Oh no... That's terrible. Stagings are hard, especially with composites... at least you gave it a shot. Will be watching for progress.

sorry to hear that conman, plus side is you got an excuse to buy new stuff.

Carvac: thanks for the reply, that makes sence now.

:(:(:(:(Oh boy!! Man, that stinks! I'm sorry to hear about the damage. maybe the eggtimer or eggfinder could be repaired? How tricky do you think it will be to repair the sustainer? At least the booster was fairly successful, if you ever figure out the cause of failure make sure to post updates:) Did the igniter fire for the upper motor?

Nate

Well the cause of failure was that the eggtimer in the sustainer must have turned off after I left the pad because when I tried to turn it on and off after the launch nothing happened. I am also confused on how the RRC2 lit the drogue igniter but not the main igniter which had the chute!! If that had fired everything would have come down safely. I am going to try to get one altimeter that can fire the sustainer motor igniter and do the dual deployment. Anyone recommend a non expensive altimeter that can do this. Also Nate no the sustainer igniter did not light. Teddy was wishing that you could have been there. It was a great launch!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Ouch. I left about 2:30 and missed it. Cool looking rocket.

Never did staging with electronics. Would just go with a DD altimeter and separate timer. My buddy did his air starts that way.

Connor,,,
It truly was a great attempt at a very complex flight....
Your workmanship is exemplary....
Be patient,,,
you will certainly get it jived out...
If I may make a suggestion,,,
Fly the sustainer alone a couple of times....
Get that to electronically dual deploy successfully...
Then try a 2 stage flight...
The only reason I say this is burning the AP
can certainly get expensive...
I've had flights fail with expensive loads in them.....
That's no fun...
Whatever you do,,,
Do not let this deter you,,,
The rocket has proven itself as a straight and true flyer.......
You are well on your way.........

Teddy

Ouch. Sorry about the failure. Everyone has em at one point or another.
I hope you can repair it.

Alex

Connor,,,
It truly was a great attempt at a very complex flight....
Your workmanship is exemplary....
Be patient,,,
you will certainly get it jived out...
If I may make a suggestion,,,
Fly the sustainer alone a couple of times....
Get that to electronically dual deploy successfully...
Then try a 2 stage flight...
The only reason I say this is burning the AP
can certainly get expensive...
I've had flights fail with expensive loads in them.....
That's no fun...
Whatever you do,,,
Do not let this deter you,,,
The rocket has proven itself as a straight and true flyer.......
You are well on your way.........

Teddy

Thanks teddy I will do that. I can also the get the timer in after a couple of flights to see if the timer will light it.

Thanks teddy I will do that. I can also the get the timer in after a couple of flights to see if the timer will light it.

+1 on flying the sustainer a few times to shake out DD and work out the timing for lighting the sustainer. Sorry to hear it didn't go as well as planned, but you will get this to work. On my first two stage attempt, I got carried away and went for a 12,000' flight. The sustainer lit, but I never found it so I can't be sure what, if anything went wrong. Could have out flown my tracker or could of come back in ballistic. At least you got the sustainer back to do a post mort. One takeaway I had, was to always have a backup altimeter in the sustainer. I did both the sustainer light and DD on a single altimeter without any backup DD. One thing that could have happened is that lighting the sustainer shorted the output rendering the DD non-functional. Something else to look at is your altimeter/battery/switch mounting and wiring to make sure it is solid. I have had altimeters reset or lose power at apogee deploy due to the shock, defeating main deploy. Another reason BTW to have a backup DD altimeter. Good luck.

well I found that the RRC2 did in fact fire the main chute charge however it wasn't large enough to push the parachute out. I am going to upload pictures tonight and ask for tips to fix the problems.

Connor. Sorry it didn't GI as planned.. Dont give up. You know you can do it!

Remember. Replacement decals are half price!

Better luck!

Connor. Sorry it didn't GI as planned.. Dont give up. You know you can do it!

Remember. Replacement decals are half price!

Better luck!

Good to know:):) I'm debating on wether I should rebuild the whole upper stage or try to fix it. I promise I will get some pictures of the damage up tomorrow!

Pictures as promised.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213414.789866.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213450.773486.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213509.530739.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213557.744299.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213596.335294.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213635.587421.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404213676.526313.jpg

I really don't want to have to replace the booster fin can so does anyone know how I could fix this:confused:

I am going to start over with a whole new body tube for the sustainer payload because all those cracks are very flimsy and failure points in the tube.

I've been quietly following this build and was excited to see your rocket on the pad Sunday. Not so excited when the sustainer didn't light up - that's always disappointing. I have a 2-stage Shape shifter that I've been flying. I use an RRC3 in my sustainer to control ignition and recovery. I don't know if you were there on Friday, but I flew my shape shifter then and it worked great.

I hope you can get this back on the pad soon; 2-stagers are fun and you deserve to see this rocket fly both stages.

-brant

I got one crystal clear shot of the liftoff, and one OK one about 30 feet up. I'll upload them after work tonight

Hey Connor, tough luck there.

My first two-stager worked, but my second try was almost exactly like this .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ope88eYNuOE

.... except that my fins came off. It was awful. I rebuilt mine and you can too. It was quite an accomplishment just to get it done and in the air.

Any idea why the sustainer didn't light?

jim

Hey Connor, tough luck there.

My first two-stager worked, but my second try was almost exactly like this .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ope88eYNuOE

.... except that my fins came off. It was awful. I rebuilt mine and you can too. It was quite an accomplishment just to get it done and in the air.

Any idea why the sustainer didn't light?

jim

After looking over the electronics after launch it appears that the eggtimer in the sustainer never turned on or that it turned off before launch so there was no way it was going to get lit.

Back