98 Windstar died suddenly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
My 98 Windstar died suddenly. I was turning a corner, and the engine just turned off and wouldn't start back up. There was no warning and no symptoms. My son and I checked all the fuses, the fuel pump relay clicks when the key is turned on, and we could hear the fuel pump hum. It has gas in it. However, we couldn't get a spark out of it. We tried two of the three accessible front plug wires. Since the coil pack has three independent coils in it, I doubt if it's that. The only codes I'm getting are for a defective O2 sensor, from before it died. Is there anything simple I can check?

WAG computer ? , sounds more like a wire we have salt aka wiring issues here you shouldn't have though

have you tried starting it after it sat a few hrs ?

Is the car cranking faster then normal? It may be a timing belt or it may be the harmonic balance sensor, this sensor is located behind the big pulley on the bottom of the engine, it's the biggest pulley with a 1/2" or 3/4" nut in the center, these are the two things that I can think of which would effect the spark, but it may be something entirely different.

I had one of these. The crank position sensor and cam position sensor both initiate signals for spark and injector firing. Crank sensor is just above the oil pan sticking out of the block. Cam sensor is on top of the engine on the right side on top of the intake manifold. The cam sensor can rotate similar to a distributor. There's a trick to aligning everything up when you install it. I think the crank was for spark and cam for injectors. But it's been a while. If you back stab the connectors while cranking the engine, you should see fluctuating voltage. I don't remember the high value, but up to 5vdc rings a bell.
I'd start at those two sensors. Then move on to coil pack. The crash sensor knocks out the pump relay so if you got fuel, it's good.
Good luck

Mark

WAG computer ? , sounds more like a wire we have salt aka wiring issues here you shouldn't have though

have you tried starting it after it sat a few hrs ?

"WAG" computer?

Is the car cranking faster then normal? It may be a timing belt or it may be the harmonic balance sensor, this sensor is located behind the big pulley on the bottom of the engine, it's the biggest pulley with a 1/2" or 3/4" nut in the center, these are the two things that I can think of which would effect the spark, but it may be something entirely different.

No, it's cranking at normal speed.

I had one of these. The crank position sensor and cam position sensor both initiate signals for spark and injector firing. Crank sensor is just above the oil pan sticking out of the block. Cam sensor is on top of the engine on the right side on top of the intake manifold. The cam sensor can rotate similar to a distributor. There's a trick to aligning everything up when you install it. I think the crank was for spark and cam for injectors. But it's been a while. If you back stab the connectors while cranking the engine, you should see fluctuating voltage. I don't remember the high value, but up to 5vdc rings a bell.
I'd start at those two sensors. Then move on to coil pack. The crash sensor knocks out the pump relay so if you got fuel, it's good.
Good luck

Mark

Can a bad crank position sensor cause it to not produce spark?

Can a bad crank position sensor cause it to not produce spark?[/QUOTE]

Yes it can. You can check the sensor by cranking the engine and measuring the output of the sensor. I don't remember the specific wires but you have to leave it plugged in and measure from the back side of the connector while cranking. If you use an analog meter you will see the needle bounce. If you are using digital, the voltage will fluctuate. It may not read the full voltage, but if it just fluctuates, then the sensor is sending the signal.

Mark

Haynes spells out the test procedure for the sensor. If your sensors check good, coil is next suspect. You can measure voltage in as stated but also measure resistance of primary and secondary coils. Pretty sure there is a coil pack though. So if all coils don't work, look for a common source.

Mark

I haven't had anything happen while running, but had to change the distributor and the crankshaft sensor. I did both at once to save disassembly / reassembly. Changed plugs too.

Service manuals are a great thing if you do it yourself. Once you diagnose, you tube has many videos on how too. For my 2000 stratus, the 1999 sebring convertible has tons of videos and the same everything under the hood

Can a bad crank position sensor cause it to not produce spark?
Yes. The crank position sensor sort of replaces the distributor in that it tells the electronics _when_ to fire. I've had one go bad years ago on my old Bonneville. It never failed when the car was running, but it did keep it from starting a few times before it was finally diagnosed and replaced.

Doug

Does anyone know exactly where the crank sensor is and how to get to it?

Crap, Jim. Do you have pull out the whole console to get at the motor? The Aerostar has a bit of nose so maybe you can access what you need without having to remove any of the interior.

None of the interior is removed for any engine work.
That's a great link for the R&R.

Mark

Crap, Jim. Do you have pull out the whole console to get at the motor? The Aerostar has a bit of nose so maybe you can access what you need without having to remove any of the interior.

I have a Windstar.

It's fixed! My son replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it started right up. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Suddenly??? It's been trying to die since 1998.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back