Out of Print Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyTrekker

Reaction score
Greetings. I have gotten back into the hobby and have been thinking about kits
that are no longer available. I have been asking the question of what
out of print kits that you would like to see made available again.
What were some of your favorites?

To be more helpful than posting snarky responses from the usual culprits, I think you mean "Out Of Production" (also referred to as "OOP").

Personally, I'd love to see the 1/100 Estes Saturn IB reenter production, but that'll never happen...

Later! OL JR :)

Actually, "Out of Print", while indicating the particular medium of printing, has been used often to describe other media, even media that has no material form (or "hard copy" if you prefer). Same as 'dialing' a number on a smartphone :)

Dinosaurs are out of print.

There are no new episodes of Bonanza since it is out of print.

Twinkies were out of print, but they are now printing them again.

Is "print" to be used like "smurf" or "marklar"?

Dinosaurs are out of print.

There are no new episodes of Bonanza since it is out of print.

Twinkies were out of print, but they are now printing them again.

Is "print" to be used like "smurf" or "marklar"?

They aren't making new episodes of Bonanza, but the episodes are certainly in print, as you can see at most stores that stock DVDs and Blu-Rays. But the VHS version is definitely out of print.

In the normal (slang) use of the phrase, you could say that Twinkies were out of print, but you probably don't say they are "printing" them again.

Dinosaurs reproduced sexually, so there's no printing involved (unless they had dino-pron in those days???)

Smurfs reproduce by no known means (or else Smurfette must be a pretty busy smurf), unless you are talking about the cartoons themselves, in which case they are printed.

Printing can be 2-D or 3-D by adding layer after layer. That has nothing to do with anything that is not "printing", which includes all of the examples I provided (and you snipped) and manufacture of rocket kits. No rocket kits were ever "printed" beyond the instructions and decals or stickers that are inside the bag or box, so there cannot be any "out of print kits that you would like to see made available again".

"3-D printing" is now a common term, so I think we've already crossed the line where printing is about more than two dimensions...

I was not asking about the actual smurfs i was asking about the usage of the word "smurf" as used in the Smurfs tv shows and movies.

Ditto for the word "marklar".

If you are unfamiliar with "marklar" then you shold Google it and watch the episode.

Or, you could smurf it and smurf the marklar.

They aren't making new episodes of Bonanza, but the episodes are certainly in print, as you can see at most stores that stock DVDs and Blu-Rays. But the VHS version is definitely out of print.

In the normal (slang) use of the phrase, you could say that Twinkies were out of print, but you probably don't say they are "printing" them again.

Dinosaurs reproduced sexually, so there's no printing involved (unless they had dino-pron in those days???)

Smurfs reproduce by no known means (or else Smurfette must be a pretty busy smurf), unless you are talking about the cartoons themselves, in which case they are printed.

This Forum should have an "Introduce Yourself New Members" Section, as it seems that most of these new Members recently start Spamming by their 3rd or 4th Post.
For the OP, if your Post is Legitimate, Kits I'de like to see reborn are the Estes Eggspress and BlueBird Zero.

Greetings. I have gotten back into the hobby and have been thinking about kits
that are no longer available. I have been asking the question of what
out of print kits that you would like to see made available again.
What were some of your favorites?

Hi, you probably mean "out of production" OOP.

Here is a great place to get real answers fairly quickly. The people are nice too.

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/

You can find a lot of the OOP plans and parts lists here:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/index.htm

I was not asking about the actual smurfs i was asking about the usage of the word "smurf" as used in the Smurfs tv shows and movies.

Yes, I knew that. But I was going for a different slant on the humor. Though I was going to say, "or else Smurfette must be a pretty smurfy smurf," which just wouldn't have fit as well.

I would love to see the Estes Saturn V, Saturn 1B, MX missile, Phoenix missile, and mostly the Space Shuttle.
I guess you could call me a NASA junkie.

Sure there were. The Centuri Two-Bitz comes to mind, as well as The Point (although The Point has other parts as well).

No rocket kits were ever "printed" beyond the instructions and decals or stickers that are inside the bag or box, so there cannot be any "out of print kits that you would like to see made available again".

I thought of all of those. The Two Bitz had a balsa block for one of the two models in the kit and a plastic nose cone for the other. They never could have printed the kit. They could print a card stock body and the instructions, but the nose cone, balsa block and bag were not created by printing.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/km-1.htm

Sure there were. The Centuri Two-Bitz comes to mind, as well as The Point (although The Point has other parts as well).

Art Appelwhite has rockets that can be made entirely from printed sheets, but you would have to talk to him to see if he has any that are "out of print" that others can start printing and selling.

I thought of all of those. The Two Bitz had a balsa block for one of the two models in the kit and a plastic nose cone for the other. They never could have printed the kit. They could print a card stock body and the instructions, but the nose cone, balsa block and bag were not created by printing.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/km-1.htm

Art Appelwhite has rockets that can be made entirely from printed sheets, but you would have to talk to him to see if he has any that are "out of print" that others can start printing and selling.

He does have some that he no longer makes available. Some were free downloads and at least 2 were sale items.

OK, I will give you that. I redrew the Two Bitz years ago, always intending to build one but I never did. I didn't know there was more to the kit than that printed card.

The Art Applewhite kits though would qualify unless you count the glue. There's still some available for download on his site.

And the bag? You're stretching a bit there :)

Last edited:
I'd like to see so many, but a few I think are too good to ever go away are: Trident, Trident II, Sea Dart, Deep Space Transport, and Gemini Titan II.

I got a Trident from SEMROC, and have the parts to clone the next three, but even that is getting harder with SEMROC going away.

Printing can be 2-D or 3-D by adding layer after layer. That has nothing to do with anything that is not "printing", which includes all of the examples I provided (and you snipped) and manufacture of rocket kits. No rocket kits were ever "printed" beyond the instructions and decals or stickers that are inside the bag or box, so there cannot be any "out of print kits that you would like to see made available again".
And somebody said Fred was getting soft..........Shecterized......

Where's the OP? He never told us what he'd like to see.

I'de like the Estes Pershing.

My apologies....I should have stated " Out of Production"......I thought out of print may be a different spin on my thought.

My apologies....I should have stated " Out of Production"......I thought out of print may be a different spin on my thought.

It is, basically... most of us knew what you were talking about...

Welcome.

So what kits would you like to see back in production.

Myself, I like scalers, but they're complex kits and not particularly big moneymakers for the companies, therefore they're unlikely to resurrect them.

Later! OL JR :)

WELCOME to TRF

Don't apologize to A-holes that are lonely and have to ride and dig at everyone.

Not everyone here is like that, sorry on your first post you had to put up with the stupid people that have nothing to say but ridicule others.
As for your question they should reproduce all of the older kits, That would be cool for the new and old generations of rocketeers

Don't apologize. Despite what Fred thinks, "out of print" is a perfectly good phrase to use in this case. It is metaphorically, if not technically, accurate. It is similar to people using "out of band" to describe processes that have nothing to do with communications channels.

Back