OLD Estes Jupiter-C rebuild!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
Haley! 013.jpgHaley! 014.jpg
I would like to rebuild this old bird, and set it up for D power, but i need a new body Tube to get started! the BT Measures 2"idX16"L, and i have no idea what the part # is......if ANYONE has one they would sell me, i would REALLY appreciate it, as i could get going on it! I figure i could make up the motor mount from stuff and the fins as well....i just need the BT to get started! Many Thanks! Bill

View attachment 169122View attachment 169123
I would like to rebuild this old bird, and set it up for D power, but i need a new body Tube to get started! the BT Measures 2"idX16"L, and i have no idea what the part # is......if ANYONE has one they would sell me, i would REALLY appreciate it, as i could get going on it! I figure i could make up the motor mount from stuff and the fins as well....i just need the BT to get started! Many Thanks! Bill

Oh! The timing in this is just classic...

I never finished my original build (glued in the 18mm motor though), and bought Semroc's body tube and 24mm centering rings for the same reason.

I also never used the decals, and added them to the stack I was going to scan today after class... before I read this post. [EDIT] Gord already has them for sale on his website already $7USD[/EDIT]

How's that for timing?

[EDIT] The CR-9-20's (24mm motor mounts) are out of stock, but the CR-720 (18mm motor mounts) are still listed, you could adapt those to suit your needs. I'll scan my work ups on the fins too (I'm laminating 3/32" balsa over 1/32" ply cores to make my fins)[/EDIT]

Looking forward to watching your build, and making mine.

All the Best!
Jim

btw... I'm curious, what do you use as a time machine? Those photos are from 3 months in the future. :wink:

[Hey! I just realized that this is my 2,000th post on TRF]

Last edited:
Chris, Jim, and Bob, thanks so much for the help! Turns out that the SANDMAN made me an offer i couldnt refuse!!:wink::)
I will be glad to post updates, and pics of the build...this one maybe kinda slow....!
Jim,timing can be a STRANGE thing sometimes...cant it??? The date on the pics is due to the lack of skills on the camera mans part(ME)as to figure out how to delete it!!!!:facepalm::blush::)

Here's a scan of my fins as a WIP...

that's a 1/32" thick ply sandwiched between 3/32" thick balsa to help me not monkey up the fins (again :facepalm: ). After the glue dries (these are nearly 20 years old now, so it's probably safe now), I'll sand them to shape (eventually).

All the Best!
Jim

Haley! 016.jpgWell, i scrounged around and found enough parts to make a D/E mount, then i removed a fin assembly to use as a pattern for the new fins....
I made templates out of 1/16" ply, then using my trusty ol #11 X-Acto, and a razor blade started cutting out the fins and tabs, then clamped one at a time to the ply and block sanded each one to the template...still need to make the end plates to attach the fin to the tab! I just started bonding the doubled fins together with 30 minute epoxy....at least im making SOME progress while im waiting for the new body tube....dont know why im so excited about this particular project.......BUT I AM!!:D:D

Attachments

• Haley! 018.jpg
    Haley! 018.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Using centering rings, body tube, and an engine hook from Semroc, I created a ST-9 to ST-20 motor mount for a 24mm x 95mm motor. I gave the masking tape a coat of glue to prevent it from coming undone in the future.

I glued scraps of 3/16" (square) balsa stock to act as a gusset, and to guide the 1/4" (ID) launch lugs from Sunward. These launch lugs will be used to attach supplemental fins to the Jupiter C (or Estes Mercury Redstone (1921))

To keep the supplemental fins aligned, I will cut small lengths of dowel at an angle then glue them inside the launch lugs at the upper end of the lug. The matching angle will be on the dowels used to attach the fins, thus they will be locked into the correct orientation.

I plan on gluing the lugs slightly raised from the aft centering ring to prevent fillets from clogging them.

As I mentioned on YORF, this was inspired by Dr. Zooch, and Estes' Mercury Atlas

Last edited:
Back