Drilling Bluetube 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I need to drill some holes in my blue tube air frame and coupler. It is to fit some bolts to hold body sections together and vent holes. How best to do this? Nice and slow movement but fast speed? I need to drill all the way up to M6 (1/4'' in old money). Total of 8 holes 4 each end of the BT. Tube is 4'' with matching coupler and the 2.0 version. Only thing done to the tube so far are the spirals filled and sanded.

https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=FINWRAPS I found this fin wrap tool, i can use this to get my hole spacing perfect. I can make a mark on the tube and use the old door frame to draw a line so it's clear to drill. I've used PML tubing as the size option as the nose cone i have is a 3.9'' PML job and fits perfect or should i use a different size?

Once drilled run some thin CA around the hole and give it a sand till it's clean and tidy?

Any other tips be handy, thanks

Pete

Hey everyone

I need to drill some holes in my blue tube air frame and coupler. It is to fit some bolts to hold body sections together and vent holes. How best to do this? Nice and slow movement but fast speed? I need to drill all the way up to M6 (1/4'' in old money). Total of 8 holes 4 each end of the BT. Tube is 4'' with matching coupler and the 2.0 version. Only thing done to the tube so far are the spirals filled and sanded.

https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=FINWRAPS I found this fin wrap tool, i can use this to get my hole spacing perfect. I can make a mark on the tube and use the old door frame to draw a line so it's clear to drill. I've used PML tubing as the size option as the nose cone i have is a 3.9'' PML job and fits perfect or should i use a different size?

Once drilled run some thin CA around the hole and give it a sand till it's clean and tidy?

Any other tips be handy, thanks

Pete

I use forsner drill bits, they make nice clean holes, unlike your standard drill bits.

• Use something to back the hole (inside the tube) such as a scrap of tube or coupler.
  • Wick CyA around inside the hole to harden any fuzzyness
  • Re-drill the hole after the CyA cures to make it clean
There's a demonstration in my Certify Level 1 video.

I don't have anything here sadly rocket related. Will check the video now

JC I've just watched the video. Cool beans, picked a few things up.

Just out of interest do you CA tack all your CR's on your HPR build then filet?

Yep, that way I can be sure things won't move after I get them all lined up. It's part of my maxim: "Have everything ready before mixing the epoxy."

Cool beans, makes it more fun for my kids then and easier work for me.

Right I'm going hunting tomorrow for some angle iron (aluminum) so i can do the straight lines (hpr version of Estes door frame like you say John.

8 holes in total, M6, 1.5'' from the end of the tube will be fun.

I could fit the av bay coupler and tape in place and drill at the same time getting clean drill on both sections as the bolts will need to pass through this anyway

Back