"starters"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original Astron igniters were 30 Ga with a smooshed area covered in a flexible pyrogen. The smooshed area was easy to bend and provided higher resistance right where you wanted it. Later, they switched to a non-smooshed slightly thinner nichrome (31 ga?) and it still had the flexible pyrogen coating and you just had to bend it anywhere within the pygrogen coated zone. They were fantastic and i installed them with a wadding wedge/ball...

+1!!

As for the wadding ball method, I still use it on occasion. Recently, during a scout launch, we ran out of plugs and I tried to show the kids the wadding ball method. They thought I was conning them.:facepalm:

If you have launched any rockets with motors that had plugs in them, then you should never run out of them, because they can be reused.

+1!!

As for the wadding ball method, I still use it on occasion. Recently, during a scout launch, we ran out of plugs and I tried to show the kids the wadding ball method. They thought I was conning them.:facepalm:

The LEUP is for my 3 half filled cans of BP and a handful of e matches and twiggies. If I had an antique cannon I wouldn't need the LEUP for the black powder. Yes, it's a stupid law. To be honest, if I didn't already have the LEUP from the dark days before we won the lawsuit, I doubt that I'd bother. It costs me $50 every couple of years so it's worth keeping just to stay legal.

...I own an anvil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMKFASe-1BE

But is it an antique anvil?

LMAO No, it's just a Harbor Freight 55 pounder, a class on it's own there are so many out there now. I got mine 16 years ago for about $25 with the sale and discount, I've actually used mine to bend metal. 1/4 cup of black powder launches it pretty good ;)

Back