Electronic Tracking - how can I get started?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's because once you own a tracker, you never, EVER want to fly without one again :D

So Much Truth!

The only useless tracker is the one you left on the bench, instead of flying it.

Once you start flying trackers, even those "easy to find" 1500 foot flights get trackers.

-Kevin

Jim, You try an all mode receive TH-F6A? With USB and CW modes can usually pick up most of the trackers. Or does Marshall use some sort of encoding that necessitates using "their" receiver? Kurt

Ah, mine is not. Thanks Kurt/David/Keith for the education.

Jim

Tragic Little Aerospace...

Just got the sled set up and have yet to test range. So far, it's a whole lot friendlier than the GPS Flight unit I had. (900mHz).

1397825335372.jpg

1397825357529.jpg

Derek's DIY unit uses the same XBEE radio modules as the 900 Mhz BRB so they should have the same range. Actually I don't think the BRB 900s have the new 250 mW XBEE radios, so Derek's probably offer more range. I've used mine to 10k and it worked fine.

I build the GPS of Derek using Xbee, I then build the eggfinder using 915 mhz, both don't need HAM license, but they don't cut it if you need distance. I finally make the plunge and purchase a Telemetrum and I'm in the proceed to get my license. Not only the Telemetrum give you GPS, but if for some reason the GPS don't get info, you can use a cheap $ 60 radio and a the yagi you use with the telemetrum and find the telemetrum by his radio signal.

I don't regret my cheap Derek and Eggfinder stuff, but i ill use them only on low flight.

Derek's DIY unit uses the same XBEE radio modules as the 900 Mhz BRB so they should have the same range. Actually I don't think the BRB 900s have the new 250 mW XBEE radios, so Derek's probably offer more range. I've used mine to 10k and it worked fine.

Derek 603 surface mount components are not for everyone, I would suggest to purchase a practice kit before, to make sure to have the skill to do it. here an exemple of a kit that will give you practice

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281134843051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i will also suggest to test the GPS unit on breadboard before solder it to the final board, I get 1 defective unit once, it will be a real pain to unsolder it .

Last edited:
No matter what one uses, fire up the deployment electronics with bare ematches and have the transmitter running. Listen for recycling of the altimeter(s) or popping of the ematches for several minutes. Dog trackers are notorious for dorking the deployment electronics. 900Mhz might not have so much of a problem. Be more concerned if the tracker rides in the same ebay as your altimeter(s). Nosecone tracker not as much of a problem but the 2 watt dog trackers can be an issue due to the power output. Be prudent and test before flight. I've seen a dual altimetered large project core sample due to Rf interference and it wasn't pretty. Kurt

No matter what one uses, fire up the deployment electronics with bare ematches and have the transmitter running. Listen for recycling of the altimeter(s) or popping of the ematches for several minutes. Dog trackers are notorious for dorking the deployment electronics. 900Mhz might not have so much of a problem. Be more concerned if the tracker rides in the same ebay as your altimeter(s). Nosecone tracker not as much of a problem but the 2 watt dog trackers can be an issue due to the power output. Be prudent and test before flight. I've seen a dual altimetered large project core sample due to Rf interference and it wasn't pretty.

"Several minutes" isn't enough time -- I've had the same altimeter freak out in 5 minutes, then the next time I tested it, it took more than 30 minutes.

If you're going to fly a tracker near your altimeter, I'd suggest letting the combination sit in flight configuration for at least an hour before I called it good.

I use Christmas Tree bulbs as test charges, and know they've fired when the altimeter switches from "waiting for launch" to launch detect or apogee detect mode.

-Kevin

"Several minutes" isn't enough time -- I've had the same altimeter freak out in 5 minutes, then the next time I tested it, it took more than 30 minutes.

If you're going to fly a tracker near your altimeter, I'd suggest letting the combination sit in flight configuration for at least an hour before I called it good.

I use Christmas Tree bulbs as test charges, and know they've fired when the altimeter switches from "waiting for launch" to launch detect or apogee detect mode.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin, So noted. I will state, I've had no trouble with the low powered Beeline GPS (APRS) riding in the ebay with the deployment electronics.
It's a good thing to do the testing at home and just let the rocket sit while one does something else. Do it while there is no pressure to launch.
I had an ascent deployment with a tracker before. Was the apogee charge with a major zipper. The main dutifully deployed thereafter and brought the
remains safely back for salvage. :facepalm:
Kurt

... Actually I don't think the BRB 900s have the new 250 mW XBEE radios, so Derek's probably offer more range. I've used mine to 10k and it worked fine.

The BRB900 does use the 250mw XBEE.

Greg

If you have a recording altimeter/accelerometer, you can test fly it and see if the tracker messes with the data. Here's the baro trace from a GWiz unit on board David and Ryan's fabulous 57kft flight last year with a Beeline GPS in the nose:
View attachment 169285
:eek:

Wow! Lucky the deployment events occurred. I have seen similar blurbs in a Raven trace from rockets flown without trackers onboard. The explanation was
temperature variation as the rocket spins. Ostensibly one can count the number of times the rocket spun on the way up. The pattern above looks too
symmetrical and if recorded all the way down like that, it could be Rf interference of some kind. Again, I'd like to know what kind of tracker and the power output.
More power can = more trouble if not careful. Kurt

Back