Stratologger USB interface and Linux?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently switched again to using Linux for most of my stuff (Kids claimed my crappy windows laptop for minecraft) and am having some troubles trying to figure out a way to interface to my Stratologgers. I am running Xubunutu and have a Win7 image in VirtualBox for those critical programs which are not available under linux. I've been trying to get the stratologger download program to run under VirtualBox and interface through VirtualBox com port mapping to the /dev/ttyUSB0 device which is the FTDI serial adapter in Linux-land. When I do this, the stratologger makes that weird warbling sound like it's connecting, but the download application ends up erring out.

Does anybody else try to do this? Any advice?

Kevin

Kevin,

Your method works fine for me for accessing Jim's RRC3 units. Probably just a sequence thing in when you turn on what. I know the RRC3 software was a bit sensitive to the sequence of events in connecting.

Hey, Jeff.

Met up with some kids you worked with this past weekend. They ended up with some bad luck and tree'd a beautiful rocket with lots of nicely engineered bits.

Just so I'm clear you map the unix tty device as a com port in the virtual box instance? What "port mode" are you using? Did you install any drivers into Windows image?

Kevin

Kevin,

Your method works fine for me for accessing Jim's RRC3 units. Probably just a sequence thing in when you turn on what. I know the RRC3 software was a bit sensitive to the sequence of events in connecting.

I use wine to do this, mapping ttyUSB0 to com4. You have to get the permissions correct (typically you have to be in a specific group), and there do seem to be some sequence issues. I generally just flail around until it starts working. Doesn't help that I use a generic FTDI dongle instead of the Perfectflite one.

Hey, Jeff.

Met up with some kids you worked with this past weekend. They ended up with some bad luck and tree'd a beautiful rocket with lots of nicely engineered bits.

Just so I'm clear you map the unix tty device as a com port in the virtual box instance? What "port mode" are you using? Did you install any drivers into Windows image?

Kevin

Kevin,

Yeah, I actually loaded some drivers that supported the communication chip I believe. Here's kind of a generalization of the discussion when I was doing it:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...meter-LCD-!/page15&highlight=RRC3+USB+jpummil

So, was the flight that ended up in the tree the L2 cert fight (LOC 835) or a different one? I haven't seen him yet this week...

It was their only flight :( J350 in what could have been a LOC 835. Had some fancy 3d printed electronics and nc on it too.

The flight was mostly fine except that it wasn't such a good day for it. Winds were really strong. I heard it had drifted over 2 miles with a predicted apogee of only 3k!

Kevin

Kevin,

Yeah, I actually loaded some drivers that supported the communication chip I believe. Here's kind of a generalization of the discussion when I was doing it:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...meter-LCD-!/page15&highlight=RRC3+USB+jpummil

So, was the flight that ended up in the tree the L2 cert fight (LOC 835) or a different one? I haven't seen him yet this week...

For anybody reading, I have gotten stratologger's data acquisition software to work under both wine and virtualbox win7 image on an Xubuntu host.

You need to make certain you have a udev rule to create the /dev/ttyUSB device when you plug in the dongle. Mine looks like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="0403",ATTR{idProduct}=="6001",MODE="0666",GROUP="dialout"

You need to make certain your user is in the dialout group.

For wine, you need to ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevice/com1 Then when you run the stratologger software under wine, select com1.

For virtual box, I had to configure the serial port using "Host Device" mode. point to device /dev/ttyUSB0. Fire up the virtual box image and select the com port.

Kevin

For anybody reading, I have gotten stratologger's data acquisition software to work under both wine and virtualbox win7 image on an Xubuntu host.

You need to make certain you have a udev rule to create the /dev/ttyUSB device when you plug in the dongle. Mine looks like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="0403",ATTR{idProduct}=="6001",MODE="0666",GROUP="dialout"

You need to make certain your user is in the dialout group.

For wine, you need to ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevice/com1 Then when you run the stratologger software under wine, select com1.

For virtual box, I had to configure the serial port using "Host Device" mode. point to device /dev/ttyUSB0. Fire up the virtual box image and select the com port.

Kevin

Excellent! Glad it's workin' for ya buddy :wink:

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Hi all,

Recently switched again to using Linux for most of my stuff (Kids claimed my crappy windows laptop for minecraft) and am having some troubles trying to figure out a way to interface to my Stratologgers. I am running Xubunutu and have a Win7 image in VirtualBox for those critical programs which are not available under linux. I've been trying to get the stratologger download program to run under VirtualBox and interface through VirtualBox com port mapping to the /dev/ttyUSB0 device which is the FTDI serial adapter in Linux-land. When I do this, the stratologger makes that weird warbling sound like it's connecting, but the download application ends up erring out.

Kevin

I've used Vbox on Slackware with an XP client. Who cares it's not supported anymore?:rofl: Runs most of the simple rocket stuff just fine
and that's what I use it for.

Plug in your serial device and do a dmesg command or sudo dmesg if your linux version requires it. Find out the particulars of your
serial device ie. /dev/ttyUSB(x) Then do a "sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB(x)" Fire up Vbox and your Win7. In the lower right corner of
your Vbox screen, you should be able to pull down and see your serial connection to Vbox. Check it and Win 7 should rattle around and
you can then find it in your com port section. You can change your serial port speed to what the stratologger requires. I forgot what it is but if you don't have it set right, it won't work. Stock value is 9600.

Only altimeter program I wasn't able to get to work was the MARSA 4 and that was with WINE. I haven't tried it yet with Vbox/XP yet.

Kurt

Back