Time for a new Laptop, what OS to get

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman001

Reaction score
With support for XP having ended, and it being time to get out from under the rock i live in and trying something new, its time for a new laptop. Living in a large metro area there are a number of people that deal in refurbished laptops off lease from businesses. I've had good luck going this way in the past. I'm looking at a few Dell D620's, with fresh install of the OS, Office 2007 or 2010, Wi-Fi, cd-dvd burning software, ext,ext, with a price of $140-$180.

Depending on who i buy from, i have a choice of Win 7, 8, or 8.1. While i can use a laptop and am ok with XP, i'm a old fart and would like to keep the learning process of a new OS as simple as i can.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

IF you can get it, definitely 7. The learning curve for 8 will be a pain, and it sucks unless you've got a touch-screen. Actually, it just plain sucks!
-Ken

IF you can get it, definitely 7. The learning curve for 8 will be a pain, and it sucks unless you've got a touch-screen. Actually, it just plain sucks!
-Ken

+100. Windows 8 is a total miss. I would also recommend office 2010 but avoid office 2013 - that too is a train wreck.

I'm in the same boat using laptop built in 2002 XP , I have new pc at work win7 , win7 for me easy to learn when I got office 2010 that was another story still finding stuff lol

I'm holding out for company to provide laptop with office / I no longer do any work at home as I have XP lol

Windows 7 is really not that different from XP. 8 on the other hand I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

windows 8 can be updated to 8.1 for free. every update msft has done to 8 has made it easier to use (read more like windows 7). at this point, the only thing missing is the start menu which looks to be making a comeback with the next update.

but windows 8 was a mess. I couldn't figure out how to shut it down. I had to watch a youtube video to figure it out.

where are you looking at that has that dell? I found some at newegg, but the reviews were pretty bad.

but windows 8 was a mess. I couldn't figure out how to shut it down. I had to watch a youtube video to figure it out.

Wow, now that is telling. I have engineers in some client companies, very smart guys that have done a ton of advanced/complex stuff over their careers and they cannot master Win8. What a product whiff by Microsoft!

With support for XP having ended, and it being time to get out from under the rock i live in and trying something new, its time for a new laptop. Living in a large metro area there are a number of people that deal in refurbished laptops off lease from businesses. I've had good luck going this way in the past. I'm looking at a few Dell D620's, with fresh install of the OS, Office 2007 or 2010, Wi-Fi, cd-dvd burning software, ext,ext, with a price of $140-$180.

Depending on who i buy from, i have a choice of Win 7, 8, or 8.1. While i can use a laptop and am ok with XP, i'm a old fart and would like to keep the learning process of a new OS as simple as i can.

What are your thoughts?

Mike
Definitely go with Win7. Even though there have been some improvements in 8.1 for use on systems without touchscreens, why buy an OS that isn't really an "upgrade" but nothing more than a desperate attempt by Microsoft to leverage their dominance on the desktop to achieve more than their current single percentage digit penetration into the mobile segment by saddling desktop users with a user interface (UI) designed for touchscreen smart phones and tablets in the hope that those desktop users will then buy mobile devices with the Win8 UI because they're already familiar with it. This is not just speculation. It has recently been admitted by a Microsoft higher-up and is something I realized since day one. Win8 is NOT an "upgrade" from Win7 as far as desktop users are concerned, it's an attempted "upgrade" only for Microsoft's future in the essential "sell there or die" mobile segment.

Yep, Windows 8 is hard to shut off. You just press the power button, and it shuts off.

Seriously.

Just like Windows 7, Vista and XP.

The power button on computers has been "soft" for years -- press it, the OS detects it and begins the shutdown process.

-Kevin

Yep, Windows 8 is hard to shut off. You just press the power button, and it shuts off.

Seriously.

Just like Windows 7, Vista and XP.

The power button on computers has been "soft" for years -- press it, the OS detects it and begins the shutdown process.

-Kevin

that would be useful advice as long as the power button is configured to do that. however most "power" buttons these days are configured to put the computer to sleep, not shut it off (not the same thing). if you need to reboot the computer for whatever reason, pressing the power button doesn't accomplish this.

locating the power controls on windows 8 required me to google for the solution. it was not at all obvious.

I enjoy windows 8.1. Have both a desktop and Surface pro running windows 8.1 I think having a touch screen is a must for windows 8.
However, you should buy a refurbished MAC and put WINDOWS on it!!!

locating the power controls on windows 8 required me to google for the solution. it was not at all obvious.

The reality is most of what you "known" about how to use a computer you didn't just magically learn -- either someone showed you, or you read about it.

Where Windows 8 is challenging for folks is that it changes the patterns they're used to. And people are resistant to change; rocketry people moreso than any other group I've dealt with.

I'm not saying I like Windows 8, but I find most of the complaints about it come down to "they changed something, and I don't like change".

My biggest problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft thinks that one OS paradigm works for every application, and they think every application is a phone. Windows 8 with a touch screen is fine; with a mouse, it starts to lose its marbles a bit.

My biggest beef, though? This nonsense of expecting every app to run full screen. I spend my days flipping between apps and moving between them, and Windows 8's native mode doesn't facilitate working between several windows at the same time.

That said, my laptop has Windows 8 on it; I've had it about 18 months, and it hasn't caused me much inconvenience for the tasks I use a laptop for.

...and figuring out how to shut it down took me all of about 30 seconds.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I had been leaning toward Win 7, and the general comments seem to confirm that's the way for me to go. Troj, you hit it on the head, most people are resistant to change, and i must admit that i do not want to learn a new way of using a laptop. I do however like to learn new skills and ways of building rockets. Maybe that's the difference between a hobby and a laptop, which is just a tool to me. Derek, i'm looking at used Dells, not new. Just a few local guys that sell refurbished units off business leases.

Mike

Derek, i'm looking at used Dells, not new. Just a few local guys that sell refurbished units off business leases.

Mike

got it. thanks for clearing that up. the newegg reviews were all pretty bad.

I'm also on the Win7 bandwagon. Make sure it is updated to service pack 1, and that you get a valid license key. For the Office software, I recommend Office 2010. It's a bit different than the 2003 most folks are used to but it works well and fixes a lot of the 2007 problems, yet stops short of going loopy like 2013 does.

I've used every Windows from ver 3.0 forward and lived the horrors of WinME and Win98. I've also used many Linux OS versions and some Apple time lately. There's something to like about each one, but I keep coming back to Windows for ease of use and compatibility.

I read from many about the ills of 8.0 and the non-usefulness of it without a touchscreen laptop. When forced to upgrade my OS with a clean install about three months ago, I went with 8.1. The install was painless and quick--easiest OS install I have ever done. Once running, it is by far the easiest to use and most stable windows OS that's I have ever used; even better than Win7. It never crashes and can stay 'up' for as long as I like. I don't use the Metro interface and instead use a Win7 like emulation (Classic Shell) to get the best of all worlds.

If you have not used Win8.1, don't bash it--it is well worth it. YMMV.

That's the problem, peoples who complain about Windows 8.1 on this tread probably never use it. I have it on 2 PCs and especially on my main workstation and it work flawless, I like to it the windows key to give me the start page where all my programs are on 1 page with nice tiles ( icons ) , no need to scroll down the start menu anymore. As for close the PC, well, the soft button work, if not you right click on the start menu and choose shut down, or if you know your stuff, like Windows 7, XP , 2000, NT, you just do <ctr> + <alt> + <del> and it give you the option to log off or shut down. Office 2013 work very well too.

win8_zpsd3b2c842.jpg

Go Win 7 for sure! Save yourself from the headaches of Win 8. The transition from XP will be fairly painless. I would never buy Win 8 unless I'm using a tablet. I got a new computer at work just as Win 8 came out... what a pain. Just for the record Microsoft, i have no need for an "App" on a desktop computer.. thank you.

Jerome :)

Go Win 7 for sure! Save yourself from the headaches of Win 8. The transition from XP will be fairly painless. I would never buy Win 8 unless I'm using a tablet. I got a new computer at work just as Win 8 came out... what a pain. Just for the record Microsoft, i have no need for an "App" on a desktop computer.. thank you.

Jerome :)

let me guess, you never try Windows 8.1 ? And what was you pain with Windows 8, you can use it without even go to the start page, the desktop is very similar to Windows 7

to the OP get a brand new Dell notebook with Windows 7, get one in the business section, they come with less crappy software. Forget those used one, Dell as good one starting at $ 449, it's not worth to purchase the trouble of other peoples.

I make a kick look, this one is nice,

https://configure.us.dell.com/dells...del_id=inspiron-17-3721&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Last edited:
like. I don't use the Metro interface and instead use a Win7 like emulation (Classic Shell) to get the best of all worlds.

You're saying to use Windows 8.1, but you also admit you use a third party to make it more like Windows 7.

You're saying to use Windows 8.1, but you also admit you use a third party to make it more like Windows 7.

It's not 3rd party: Windows 8 has two modes: Metro for new apps, and the classic shell for legacy programs.

It's not 3rd party: Windows 8 has two modes: Metro for new apps, and the classic shell for legacy programs.

Yes it's a third party software name "Classic Shell", it's a software to bring back the start menu of Windows 7, beside what you refer as classic shell is call the DESKTOP. Beside you don't need those crapy star button replacement software if you know ho to use the start page and the Windows key shortcuts

Sandy is still running her 9 year old laptop..."The KODIAC-95lbs" by ChocoLabs.dog
She has to update the "Frontline" external anti-bug each month and internal drives a couple times a year.
Still runs good, a little slower getting going each year,battery runs low sooner. Screen getting a little hazy,sound is a bit off,memory is day to day,kind of a pick and choose thing. Runs on the HOT side. And a few other quirks,but hey,so does me.

oddisee 009.jpg

Last edited:

Selective filtering. Yes, while I've installed a shell to make it look and act like Win7, it is far faster and more stable than Win7. Start-up and shutdown are a fraction of the time needed with Win7. Configuring networks, homegroups and alike are a lot easier in Win8. I've loaded Win8 to the gills with simultaneous programs, and I've never had the computer slow down, let alone crash. My battery life is better with Win8. Etc, etc, etc.

My harddrive on my main comp with Windows Basic crashed and I mean crashed, I get nothing when the comp is turned on. Placed the HD in a different comp and the same. I pulled out and older SATA drive with XP that also has problems. Watch enough videos and it dumps me to a BSOD.

So I bought a new SSD from Micron Tech and went to install with the only OS disk I have, XP. It will not load, goes so far and stops. Come payday it's Windows 7 Pro 64 for me. I anticipate going to 8 gig of 1033 hz memory so the 64 bit part is needed.

I'm on a HP/Compac DC7700 mid tower but the new stuff will be going into a HP DC7900, it's low profile so that means the best vid card I can use is a GTX 650 nVidia to replace the 430 GT I'm useing now. Maybe by the end of summer I'll be all upgraded ;)

I work on Windows servers every single day as a server administrator. Trying to use the GUI on Windows Server 2012 completely sucks. (2012 uses the Windows 8 GUI.) Windows Server 2012 R2 is a lot better as it uses the Windows 8.1 GUI. I can do most of what I need to do from the start button with 2012 R2.

A really good Windows Server administrator would use the core edition without GUI, but my employer isn't there yet. There is stuff on some Windows servers that requires a GUI so you need to set up a server with GUI to administer the other servers that don't have a GUI installed.

````

A really good Windows Server administrator would use the core edition without GUI, but my employer isn't there yet. ``.

a really good Windows Server Administrator, know he can use PowersShell to admin Windows Servers 2012 , the same way he will admin a Core Server.

Back