what you use OR or ROCSIM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what sim you use

• open rocket

• rocsim

• both open rocket and rocsim about the same

• most of the time open rocket and roc sim for odd fins

• none paper and pencil kind of person

Results are only viewable after voting.

chris m

Reaction score
this is a friendly poll what you use . There should be an option for everyone

Tmaklin your a sick man . That's a incredibly looking rocket . Like the nose cone

There should be an option for everyone

You forgot RASAero, wRASP32 and AeroLab. ;)

(I'm just being a smart@$$, but yeah, I've been known to use each along with OR and/or RS)...

VCP 1.64. Been useing it for years. The writer is member vcp, known him for years, too. :)

OR... Can't afford rocksim.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I used the 30 Day Free Trial of Rock Sim and loved it for its ease of use, but now I'm stuck with craptastic Openrocket, which is all glitchy, but lets me get what I need.
I also use lots of Mindsim.

Wow , I was thinking it was 50 50 on the sim use . But more people use open rocket

I use Rocksim. I have been using it since version 3 or 4. I also have used RS-pro, which most have not.

I have used OR too to check it out. Not recently though, but if did download the latest version recently, and will scope it out when I get a chance.

Rasaero is a great product. Certainly the best when you want to fly high and fast. I am looking forward to the two stage version.

Rocksim and OR are based in Barrowman. Barrowman is great for subsonic rockets, but is questionable above Mach. That is another discussion though.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

What was the last version you tried?

I didn't use it very long - I didn't feel like spending the time to figure out how to do what i wanted when I have a copy of rocksim installed. Couple that with some interface issues, I was contented to stay where i am.

If you give me a compelling reason to change I just might.

I use Rocksim. I have been using it since version 3 or 4. I also have used RS-pro, which most have not.

I have used OR too to check it out. Not recently though, but if did download the latest version recently, and will scope it out when I get a chance.

Rasaero is a great product. Certainly the best when you want to fly high and fast. I am looking forward to the two stage version.

Rocksim and OR are based in Barrowman. Barrowman is great for subsonic rockets, but is questionable above Mach. That is another discussion though.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Rocksim PRO is several hundred as I recall

I didn't use it very long - I didn't feel like spending the time to figure out how to do what i wanted when I have a copy of rocksim installed. Couple that with some interface issues, I was contented to stay where i am.

If you give me a compelling reason to change I just might.

I really hated the interface in 13.05 as well---so I worked with the dev team to make it better.

Try the latest version. In my opinion, it's much improved. (Of course, I'm biased since I helped design it)

I used RS my first round as a BAR, 1997-2001. I even used it to design my L3 rocket. When I got back in again this year I looked at RS and decided it was too much money for my use. I downloaded OR and I've been pretty happy with it.

Rocksim PRO is several hundred as I recall

Actually, about a grand. I did the sims for Tim Lehr's Mega Wildman for his class 3 flight a couple years back with it, as well as almost all of his written app. He arranged for me to get a limited time copy from Tim Van Milligan at Apogee. It is a cool program, which has long since expired.

Tim's flight was scrubbed due to the motor being a CTI P versus a research motor. Would have liked to see it though.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back