Mid Power Rocket Motors.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
My apologies if this thread has been started before, I'm sure it has.
I am however asking a question with specific UK rocket shop themes.

I've done a fair bit with BP motors but now want to start designing and building heavier, faster, and higher altitude rockets. I'm thinking F and G motors. I don't think I can legally go bigger and don't really need or want to.

The problem I have is where to start. BP was easy for a beginner. Lot's of books and web site explanations and ideas. Not so easy with re-loadable AP motors though.
I've scoured the UK shop web sites but they show mainly a description without pictures, instruction, or recommendation. What are the best cases to go for? What are the best re-loads to buy?

As far as cases go, I don't want a beginners set. I want something I can "grow into" so I don't have to pay out again in six months time after I've grasped the basics.

I want cases, spares, and re-loads I can buy in the UK. Is it Aerotech or Cesaroni? Which is best?

At the moment I can't really grasp how the cases and re-load screw together, let alone what I should buy. I fear that I will buy something and not receive sufficient instructions. Worse, buy the wrong thing!

Any advice anyone can give me will be appreciated. Or web sites I may have missed.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem available on the shop web sites.

Thank you.

SO.

probably the best question you should ask is; which brand reloads are the easiest to buy, then buy the hardware to match. The Aerotech 24/40 is a good match for the somewhat larger birds(than the standard Estes low power), and will fit rockets equipped with a D/E motor mount. the Aerotech 29/40-120 motor should get you up to a 1500g rocket(including motor weight). both are good choices (IMO), though I would suggest something in a 24mm flavor to start with as it will give a wide variety of possible rockets to fly it in(some of which you may already own :)).
Rex
edit
This thread will give you an idea how the Aerotech motors go together. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?39177-AeroTech-Hobbyline-RMS-Assembly-Diagrams-Videos

Last edited:
I too just made the move

https://www.pro38.com/products.php

AT stuff is a dead horse in the UK. CTI is here and in the EU.

Get a starter set. You can fly 99.5% of the motor range with that. 29 mm is about £50. I just bought a kit from Wildman that was took good to pass that came with a pro 29 starter set! I've also just bought 38 mm and 54 mm starter sets.

You get 2 cases, spacers, closures and delay tool. It's quick clean and simple.

CTI is simple, comes in a cardboard tube, crack it open, select correct case and spacer, fit spacer, set the delay, fit reload, screw case closed, fit to rocket done.

Sadly i've yet to find anyone in the UK (there are only 2) that list what they got or will tell you

Rex & Pete,

Thanks very much for the advice, really helpful. Especially the links you provided.

Pete: Did you mail order direct from Wildman? Most US suppliers will not export motors it seems. If they can however it solves a big problem in getting good supplies.

Thanks again,

SO.

Rex & Pete,

Thanks very much for the advice, really helpful. Especially the links you provided.

Pete: Did you mail order direct from Wildman? Most US suppliers will not export motors it seems. If they can however it solves a big problem in getting good supplies.

Thanks again,

SO.

Cases are fine. Nah Luke and I have a very good friend in NJ who has let us ship a ton of stuff to him and he is about send it on to us.

I'd love some motors in there but not ordered any at all yet. There are some shows/events on around Bristol (where i am) that have a shop sometimes. Could always grab some and post on to you

That's a shame about Aerotech over there, but 2 minutes of googling show it to be so. Their's is the standard assembly, minimal cost reload system, and their single use is reasonable as well. There appears to be a lot of interest in hybrid motors over there, guess it skirts regulations better.

I don't know of any systems you'd "outgrow" except for case sizes without many options (actually high power stuff tends to be more specialized than mid-power). They do what they need to do.

That's a shame about Aerotech over there, but 2 minutes of googling show it to be so. Their's is the standard assembly, minimal cost reload system, and their single use is reasonable as well. There appears to be a lot of interest in hybrid motors over there, guess it skirts regulations better.

I don't know of any systems you'd "outgrow" except for case sizes without many options (actually high power stuff tends to be more specialized than mid-power). They do what they need to do.

There was. Check the dates on the stuff your looking at. Hybrid is all dead here now. The biggest shop for anything rocket related has gone. The hobby has died.

The way the hobby is ran in the UK is a mess. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back