Replace Raven or get an RRC3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Reaction score
Since my Raven now sits in the woods inside my 7.5" V2 because I didn't put my tracker in for some stupid reason. Should I replace the Raven or get the new RRC3? One of the plus sides to the Raven is I have the 3 different size AV bays (24,29,and 38). I just lost my power perch. I never used any of the AV bays, just the power perch. I thought the AV bays would be great if I decided to build a minimum diameter. What are your thoughts? Raven or RRC3?

Since my Raven now sits in the woods inside my 7.5" V2 because I didn't put my tracker in for some stupid reason. Should I replace the Raven or get the new RRC3? One of the plus sides to the Raven is I have the 3 different size AV bays (24,29,and 38). I just lost my power perch. I never used any of the AV bays, just the power perch. I thought the AV bays would be great if I decided to build a minimum diameter. What are your thoughts? Raven or RRC3?

Wow that sucks about your V-2! :(
The RRC3 is longer, heavier, wider, it is Baro only and has less features than the Raven but it still is a great altimeter. :)
That said it really depends on what your future launch plans are and what data you want to get out of the flights.
If you have the Featherweight Av bays and you intend to use them then a Raven is in your future.
Or you could sell them and set up your future av bays for the RRC3.
Or you could buy both altimeters, make two vendors happy and have two very nice electronic options. :grin:

I wouldn't say the RRC3 has less features, in some cases more (expansion, telemetry, etc.). I think it's safer to say they each have their capable, but different feature set.

I have a couple RRC2 mini and two of the older Missile Works RRC2 units. The Missile Works altimeters have always been super reliable and have just been thinking about getting an RRC3. I got Raven about 2 years ago and loved the features it had especially the size and the magnetic switch. Both rockets I had it set up in a bigger altimeter would fit. Oh what to do?

I have both.
One problem I have with the Raven 3 is: it's too small.
It makes working on it with big hands a little difficult.

It also utilizes a common wire, wiring scheme.....
Some aren't familiar with this setup, which might make the power perch a must have add-on.

The Raven does give you good data, if you are a data junkie.

The LCD field programming option is very nice feature for the RRC3.
I used it to adjust the settings for my first flight at the field.

JD

I wouldn't say the RRC3 has less features, in some cases more (expansion, telemetry, etc.). I think it's safer to say they each have their capable, but different feature set.
Quite true but it doesn't have an accelerometer which is what I was thinking about when I posted. I have both altimeters and like them.

There's nothing wrong with having multiple altimeters...

I loved the Raven's data logging but I had too many problems with driver issues preventing it from being detected by my computer. Now I have mostly Stratologgers and RRC3s with two Telemetrums when I want data. I still use the Featherweight magnetic switches though.

I like the data the Raven provides but have had failures. The Strattologgers and RRC3 are reliable. I usually fly a single altimeter but won't fly a Raven without another altimeter as backup.

I bit the bullet and ordered another Raven. I just liked the data the Raven had and I already had all the other components for the Raven. I will be getting a RRC 3 before to long. I like my Perfect flight and RRC 2 altimeters for the ease of programing on the fly . My 2 RRC2 mini I always leave programed the same.

I bit the bullet and ordered another Raven. I just liked the data the Raven had and I already had all the other components for the Raven. I will be getting a RRC 3 before to long. I like my Perfect flight and RRC 2 altimeters for the ease of programing on the fly . My 2 RRC2 mini I always leave programed the same.

I bought a number of RRC3's when they first came out with the full intention of moving to the RRC3 "only". Some may remember my sale of electronics last year. I had good intentions, but the fact of the matter is, due to the size of the Raven and the SL100, it is a real pain, if not impossible in some cases, to retrofit the RRC3. Don't get me wrong, I love my RRC3, but I was forced to continue using Ravens and SL100's (which is OK).

Just a Data Point tho I see the OP made up his mind. Which is cool.

I flew my very first RRC2 a few weeks ago. By very first I mean the one I got in 1998 or around there. The one with the terminals spread apart instead of together. It still worked. I just bought another RRC2+. I am sure the Raven is amazing. Someday...

Tough choice...but if I lost my Ravens I would by another set.

"My" reasoning being that I'd have a laptop or two out there anyway (telemetry). A computer is a better HMI than an onboard LCD ergonomics wise. There's also the accelerometer option for deployment event(s).

As far as data junky-ness goes, I've found some interesting things about what my power supply did on previous flights.

In all fairness...the field ready LCD/HMI is a VERY attractive option. I'd buy one, maybe I will.

Found the V2 Saturday 11/8/14. After 7 months in the woods the Raven powered up with a new battery and reported out the information on the flight. The Raven, Aero Pack and the 2550 motor case are fine. The rocket will need some serious work. The plywood did not like the environment too much.

Found the V2 Saturday 11/8/14. After 7 months in the woods the Raven powered up with a new battery and reported out the information on the flight. The Raven, Aero Pack and the 2550 motor case are fine. The rocket will need some serious work. The plywood did not like the environment too much.

Glad to hear that you found your rocket. This gives me hope that I might find one of mine someday! Just to add to the thread. I am a MissileWorks fan. I would add a Raven but I am Apple based, no pc that the Raven requires. Some day I will get a pc and a Raven. Small is also very good if you are a minimum diameter junky.

Wow, Did you just "lope around" and find it or did someone turn it in for you? Did the fall vegetation die-off help? I modified and Talon 2 with an elongated ebay
with a forward Beeline GPS and aft riding Parrot altimeter. I missed one of the legs on the apogee charge ematch and the main blew, stripped and snapped the
inadequate shockcord. Rocket was found two weeks later and landowner returned the remnants 14 months later. BLGPS was gone (pulverized) and I had epoxy triangular braced the heck out of a middle half bulkhead. The Parrot had a cracked SMT Piezo housing that I replaced with a new one for 45 cents and bought a new
lithium cell. Danged thing downloaded the data still too. Nearly 90 G's axial and 45 G's lateral when she hit. Oh, the BLGPS was useless because I painted the rocket metallic and it soaked up the Rf from the tracker. Stupidhead didn't have sense enough to do an adequate range check. I've changed that for now.
Your Raven should still be good as long as it wasn't underwater. Kurt

I found by luck and a little bit of help from Google maps and my Moto X. I knew the area it was in but it is very easy to get turned around in there. The GPS got me to the area.

Back