Personal Launch Report - OROC Clark College Pickup Launch in Brothers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
Just posted this to our local email lists.

----

Photos and video from the weekend can be found here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104803...gePickupLaunch?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnnzNGowq_8_wE#

The video clips are unedited, so the timepoint of the actual launches can be found in the caption of each video.

Launch report:

Left Portland at 6:30 on Saturday morning just as the sun was coming up. Made a quick stop for breakfast and supplies in Sandy before continuing over the pass – easy drive out.

Got to Brothers at around 11:30 and touched base with Fred, Keith Stansbury and the Clark College team before setting up camp and my pad. They were heads-down at their encampment all afternoon getting their rocket ready to fly on a CTI L2375. Surprisingly, I seemed to have nearly every extra tool they needed to borrow…

My PML Miranda was almost prepped so that went on the pad first. Motor was a J90W moonburner that I had built for Rocketober but had to sit on it all winter long, thanks to the cloud deck. Needless to say, I was eager to fly it. You might say it was well worth the wait! Perfect flight to around 4,000’, with an easy recovery about 30 yards off the main entry road. However, it did weathercock a bit which brought it to a lower altitude than expected.

After a lunchbreak, Clark College was ready to go. After loading their rocket on Fred’s tower and getting all the cameras rolling, the project manager did the honors…no launch. After lots of testing with no luck, Fred connected his backup system. 5,4,3,2,1 – still nothing. I was next up at bat with my system – and it worked! Awesome launch with recovery about 1.5 miles south of the flightline, on the ridge behind the homestead hill. The whole team was ecstatic.

They had accomplished their one mission, so Fred and the team packed it up and went home as soon as they got the rocket back. After they left, I got 2 more flights in before the waiver closed at 1700. My Big Bertha flew for the first time in a while on an E12-8 (winnings from the OROC raffle), except it broke a fin on landing since I used a tiny chute. Next up was my Bay Area Rocketry Crayon on an F25W. That also came in for a bit of a hard landing since the motor delay went way longer than “advertised”…weird.

With a forecast of 28 degrees that night, in addition to the fact that the port-a-potties weren’t in service and that I was the only person on-site, I headed into Bend. This turned out to be a very wise choice! Got some rest and headed back out to Brothers in the morning, to fly one more rocket and to collect my easy-up and launch pad. On the pad that morning was my Binder Galaxy on a J500G. That motor really got it moving! Great flight except the main came out on top for some reason – not sure why – haven’t done autopsy on the rocket yet.

Packed it up and headed home at 1:30, stopping for lunch along the way. Another uneventful drive, getting home by 6:00.

Thanks to Fred for organizing this (albeit lightly attended) launch! It was great to finally be out in Brothers again.

As I said before, wish I could have been there, especially for that J90 flight.
I am going to fly one of those some day....

In the meantime, I do have a couple of Loki I110's....

As I said before, wish I could have been there, especially for that J90 flight.
I am going to fly one of those some day....

In the meantime, I do have a couple of Loki I110's....
We certainly missed having you! I'm telling you, you've gotta fly a moonburner in that Tomach of yours someday... :)
Ooh, I110s should be cool!

Back