Dan's HoJo from Red Glare 16

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It flew over the crowd, and flew for another mile or so before hitting the ground. It turns out all three M motors did not light at the same time hence the slow lift off, only one came to full presser on the pad and the other two lit and came to full presser over the crowd despite Dan using thermite to lite the motors.

Just when I thought I had a bad weekend loosing my 7.5" V2 in the woods on a K.

It flew over the crowd, and flew for another mile or so before hitting the ground. It turns out all three M motors did not light at the same time hence the slow lift off, only one came to full presser on the pad and the other two lit and came to full presser over the crowd despite Dan using thermite to lite the motors.

It did not fly for a mile...it landed maybe 1,000'-1,500' from the crowd.

He posted on facebook that he was selling it for $500 at Red Glare. Not sure if anything was sellable. Curious if someone bought the remains that looked reasonable for a rebuild.

I hope he's not leaving rocketry because of the HoJo flight.We had a guy in our club years ago that had a flight somewhat like Dan's that shook him up so bad he left rocketry and has never been back.

I hope he's not leaving rocketry because of the HoJo flight.We had a guy in our club years ago that had a flight somewhat like Dan's that shook him up so bad he left rocketry and has never been back.

I hope not. I seen him around, but never really spoke to him. I think he is an AT representative / demo person. Fairly ingrained in the hobby.

Some flights just don't go as planned. Dan's not going anywhere. He and I are members of the organizing committee of URRF. We'll be in Potter for the last week in June for URRF 2. He runs the L3 ally and I'm the Head Range Boss. We keep things moving.....

Bob

He posted on facebook that he was selling it for $500 at Red Glare. Not sure if anything was sellable. Curious if someone bought the remains that looked reasonable for a rebuild.

Last I saw of it , it was being loaded up in Wildmans trailer. Hopefully he will rebuild or make a new kit from it.

At the beginning of the video it looks like he had spin motors installed. Does anybody know if he fired them or planned to fire them?

I'm glad the cameraman made the decision not to follow the errant flight of a rocket with M motors, in favor of watching things come down under a parachute. I mean how often do you get the chance to see things descending under chute?

They were plugged, not used on this flight.

QUOTE=10fttall;696701]I'm glad the cameraman made the decision not to follow the errant flight of a rocket with M motors, in favor of watching things come down under a parachute. I mean how often do you get the chance to see things descending under chute?[/QUOTE]

I know right!!! Made me pretty angry too.
It's like, "Holy Crap something Crazy is going on... Oh wait, look at the pretty Parachute!!!"

Epic Filming Fail!
:mad::mad::mad:

I think the guy on the PA rightly calling out a heads up for the descending bits that distracted the cameraman. It would have distracted me. Afterall didn't another club have a guy get messed up by a balistic rocket while people were calling heads up because he got tunnel vision (through binoculars if I recall correctly) on another rocket. Besides that flight couldn't have been more than 2-3 seconds longer.

Yeah,I guess there wasn't much more to the flight. But as far as the PA, I didn't hear anything on the original video talking about this particular flight at all.

The cameraman is my brother, he didn't want to get hit by the falling nose cone, and to see where the nose cone was falling.

Yeah,I guess there wasn't much more to the flight. But as far as the PA, I didn't hear anything on the original video talking about this particular flight at all.

My mistake it was at about 42 sec of the video which is probably around motor impact that they say "heads up the nose cone is coming down". Still given all the bits this thing was sheding I don't think I would have been standing too tall.

Man, you guys are tough! There's video - enjoy what you have.

I'm glad the cameraman made the decision not to follow the errant flight of a rocket with M motors, in favor of watching things come down under a parachute. I mean how often do you get the chance to see things descending under chute?

Interesting that it turned so far up at the end of the flight, I wonder what that was caused by.

At the beginning of the video it looks like he had spin motors installed. Does anybody know if he fired them or planned to fire them?

He told me he has fired them before. I haven't seen any indication that he used them on the last 2 launches I witnessed (RG-16 and 13, I believe)

Two things of note from this video.
First those houses in the background look way to close for a “legal launch” of an M motor and Second; did anybody get the phone number of that cute gal wearing the . . .

It’s harsh when a big rocket goes Wile E. Coyote like that. This past September at High Frontiers a member of P.A.R.C. had an upscale “Kraken” flying on an M that KATOed.

It’s raining rocket bits!!

Not a good sight.

Or is that site?

I can never keep those two straight.

Or is that strait?

I’m right 98% of the time and the remaining 3% doesn’t count.

Two things of note from this video.
First those houses in the background look way to close for a “legal launch” of an M motor and Second; did anybody get the phone number of that cute gal wearing the . . .

It’s harsh when a big rocket goes Wile E. Coyote like that. This past September at High Frontiers a member of P.A.R.C. had an upscale “Kraken” flying on an M that KATOed.

It’s raining rocket bits!!

Not a good sight.

Or is that site?

I can never keep those two straight.

Or is that strait?

I’m right 98% of the time and the remaining 3% doesn’t count.

The house is 0.75 miles away. Zoom makes it look less.

Back