Anyone tried building a Dragon 9?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomrcast

Reaction score
Looks reasonably straight forward. Would have to do clear fins or those fake flames like a Dr. Zooch kit. I like the payload nose as it gives more shape to it.

I haven't tried but it would make a really cool cluster project as well. Keep in mind the new uprated F9 has landing legs too.

I was just looking at those. I little carving and sanding on some balsa I would guess
spacex-falcon-9-landing-legs.jpg

I was just looking at those. I little carving and sanding on some balsa I would guess
View attachment 168942

That would probably do it. While we are on that topic, they are making the first launch with landing legs on Friday around 325pm. Moved from a scrub earlier in the week. They are attempting a water landing with the booster stage/landing legs. Only a 30-40% chance of it being successful as it is totally experimental. It should be really cool to see...I sure hope they have tracking cameras on it.

Just go to https://shop.spacex.com/accessories-31.html and plunk your $29 down.

Of course, this one is based on the original Falcon 9, with the square engine arrangement. And it has no external details, though the outlines are printed on the wrap, so you could make your own. The new landing legs you'll have to improvise, though.

The SpaceX model has snap in clear fins, a single plate baffle and is set up for two 'chutes. I fly mine with just one to keep it on the field. Components like the motor hook and 'chutes look like they come from modelrockets.us.

I wonder if they'll make a new version of the Falcon 1.1....or even the version with the legs. That would be cool.....

I know "some guys from SpaceX" were flying, or trying to fly, a Falcon Heavy model at some California launches a year or so ago, as reported by Steve Jurvetson. Don't know if they succeeded.

This is actually what my current rocket is... the folks over at /r/SpaceX are as helpful as they can be and I have found a nice 3d Model of the dragon that I am thinking about getting printed.

I want to make a 1:48 scale OD is 3 in, Height is 4.6667 Feet...

For the fins/legs I was going to go with the legs folded and clear plexiglass that i can remove so it looks better

Would you share the 3D model on the forum? I was/am toying with the idea of building a high power version.

These rocket kits are back in stock on the SpaceX site. I ordered mine just now and got some SpaceX swag.

Back