Blood knot or something else?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouseman

Reaction score
I will be taking a length of 2.5mm kevlar cord to form a loop. What is the best knot to join the ends?

Do you want to form a single loop with the cord or form a loop in the end? For a single loop, a double fisherman's will work, my personal preference is a Water Knot, as this what I have used in rock climbing as well as rocketry to much success. For tying a loop into the end of a cord, I suggest the Figure Eight Follow Through, as this is the standard know for tying into a rope in climbing and it is the knot I use with all my recovery harnesses.

How would you make a loop with a blood knot? Or a double fisherman's for that matter? I'm very curious to know how you'd do it, I've only used these knots to join lines.

Last edited:
I use the double fisherman's for the prusik ascendar loops on my rescue ropes and the water knot on flat nylon webbing for anchor point attachments. Either of these knots will work for your purpose. The Figure 8 Follow Through is an excellant knot and easily tied correctly. All of these have been shock tested with working loads in the range of 300 to 400 pounds, during training and have never failed under load, but the water knot can really get jammed and difficult to untie. For me, it boils down to how much space is the individual knot going to take up in the airframe and what type of webbing or cording I will be using. Once I have decided on the knot, I tie it correctly and check the knot before each flight.

So my advise to you is, learn to tie all 3 knots and get comfortable with them. Then, make your decision based on your skill level of the knot you feel the most comfortable with and then how it fits in the space of the rocket frame. You can not go wrong with any of these 3 knots. I hope this helped and good luck.

How would you make a loop with a blood knot? Or a double fisherman's for that matter? I'm very curious to know how you'd do it, I've only used these knots to join lines.

See this: https://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/index.php?Categ=climbing

To "make a loop" just imagine that the red line and the blue line in the animation are the two ends of a single piece of cord. If you join them together with this knot, you will have a loop of cord (used as a prusik sling often).

This is by far the best knot to use in this situation - strong, secure, easy to tie, puts less stress on the cord itself, is tidy, relatively easy to untie if necessary, etc. THE go-to knot for joining ropes (or two ends of a rope) in my experience in rigging, mountaineering, rescue, boating, etc. . A water knot is fine, but is more suited to using on webbing than on cord.

s6

Wait, we have climbers talking about joining ropes and no one has mentioned the European Death Knot? Ha.

+1 on double fishermen. The water knot is for webbing.

See this: https://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/index.php?Categ=climbing

To "make a loop" just imagine that the red line and the blue line in the animation are the two ends of a single piece of cord. If you join them together with this knot, you will have a loop of cord (used as a prusik sling often).

This is by far the best knot to use in this situation - strong, secure, easy to tie, puts less stress on the cord itself, is tidy, relatively easy to untie if necessary, etc. THE go-to knot for joining ropes (or two ends of a rope) in my experience in rigging, mountaineering, rescue, boating, etc. . A water knot is fine, but is more suited to using on webbing than on cord.

s6

I'm going to play with this, thanks.

Back